TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2884 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)

·
Registered
147 Posts
No kidding...time to start shopping for another truck!

·
Registered
153 Posts
That's sweet! Come on letter....I wonder how much they would buy my truck for?
According to toyota's site, KBB in excellent condition (regardless of actual shape). I'm not sure how OK I'd be with them buying it back...on one hand it would let me get the full sized truck that I really need (I pull more then a taco really needs to), but on the other...regular cab 4x4 taco's are HARD to find. Mine isn't too bad, so I'm sure they will just fix it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
So...is that saying that if I bought a truck in that year range that was used in salty areas and has a rusted through frame, and got it inspected, they would buy it.
1. Find a super cheap truck w/super rusted frame
2. Get it inspected
3. Toyota buys it from me
4. I get a non rusted taco with the $$$?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a feeling that the price on rusted out taco's is about to go up....buy now!

My thing is...what about all the people who have already had to nearly GIVE away their otherwise perfect trucks or those who have shelled out tons of money to get them fixed?

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
That's awesome! Damn I should have hung onto my 1997 that died a horrible red death.

Makes sense to me though. There are soooo many Yota's around here of that vintage that are totally rotted out. Every time I see one for sale I take a look at the frame. Every one in that vintage(maybe 10 or 12 trucks) I've looked at has major holes and rot.

Think of the liability and publicity when a few of these trucks break apart at 75mph on the highway. Kill a couple kids and they've got a nightmare on their hands. Giving folks a few thousand to be able to junk them makes for good business....

wow... Toyota corporate does somethin' right.

·
Registered
327 Posts
im pretty sure i just shit myself. This news just made my year. Im going to call a dealer tomarrow and see what they have to say. I did a repair a few months back to cover the holes in my frame. My question to you guys is their not that strong IMO, and if i took it into a dealer, should i uncover the holes or not? I have pictures i could show them etc, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
651 Posts
This implies that the really bad cases will get the "buy Back". I wonder what will happen to them? A bunch of used parts for sale somewhere? I bet they get scrapped, hope not. This whole thing is just amazing and I have been thru the "secret" tranny waranty on the 83s and the head gasket recall, twice. It is the right thing to do though. Toyota has been bitten bad by the rust out issue before and it has taken quite a while for it to get over the rep. It's kind of a "spit in the eye" of other "struggling" companies also.

·
Registered
680 Posts
If Toyota buys them back they'll be totally destroyed (i.e. crushed and recycled) for sure.

I can't wait for someone to find out what the buy back $$ is.....

Got a bunch of local rotted yota's I'll buy as soon as we find out!

We should spread this to other yota/4x4 forums too.... This is great news.

-Fear

·
Registered
296 Posts
HAHA im gonna get my hammer and spotlight out tomorrow. I hope My local toyota dealership has some extra money or a good welder on hand. Now if only this would apply to the leaf springs. Maybe I'll go buy that 95 that is broken in half at the junkyard ahahaha.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I wonder how much they would low ball the Buy Back Price?

I'm sure they won't allow you to buy it back. if you did, you could re-sell it to them, or some one else, who could then sell it back to toyota. bad idea for business if toyota did that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
rusty trucks

IF toyota has a buy back program for all those rusty tacos, that means all the aftermarket add ons must be up for sale, or they will go with the rust. The toyota corp may not buy trucks back they may just rerplace the rusted parts, like they did with the ball joint warranty. It will be interesting to watch and see what happens?

·
Registered
305 Posts
This is definately interesting. I brought a beautiful Taco back from Texas (october 2006) to my extreme winter climate where there is salt used on roadways. I have the usual surface rust that most ANY vehicle develops on the chassis and related components, which is minimal as can possibly be. Hope to hell it stays this way.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
The toyota corp may not buy trucks back they may just rerplace the rusted parts, like they did with the ball joint warranty. It will be interesting to watch and see what happens?
You can't exactly just replace parts of the frame though. The frame is one continuous piece. They don't make "patch panels" for frames.

I work at a dealer in the parts department. We just got documentation 2 days ago discussing this issue. It was VERY vague though. It basically stated that they'll be "initiating a Customer Support Program (CSP) to enhance the warranty coverage for Frame Rust Perforation on certain 1995 through 2000 Model Year Tacoma Vehicles."

Basically they just told us that they'd be extending the warranty coverage for a period of 15 years with no mileage limitation from the vehicle's in-service date. It doesn't state specifics on what type of repairs, replacements, or buybacks whatsoever. It just tells us that more info will be available in mid-March.

EDIT: That second link that was posted above DID say that they would repair or repurchase the vehicle and the if the "repurchase" option was chosen, the vehicle would be declared in "excellent" condition, regardless of the actual condition of the vehicle. Hmm, interesting. I wonder why they haven't conveyed that information to the dealers yet???

1 - 20 of 2884 Posts