TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
toyota reliability questionS

The taco I am about to buy is part of my compensation package. My company is requiring me to buy one since toyota is our best customer. In the past, I have always been GIVEN a Ford to drive. Im kinda stressed about being forced to BUY a brand new and frankley expensive truck. I have never purchased a new vehicle since one gets raped in the first year depreciation. So I can tell you many many horror stories of ford ownership.. suffice it to say that my company no longer offers fords as a truck choice.

Here's the questions.

#1 First, I have been told that you cant reasonably expect any automatic to last beyond 100k with out major overhaul. True false?

#2 Although toyotas over all quality is above average, they do have issues. Ie. the 99 frame rust through and the 05 electric locker issue. Since this will be the most expensive vehicle I own... anyone have a feeling for the 07 model? My company is internal fighting about switching from Ford sport tracks to tacomas. So basically we are compairing a sport track to a tacoma in terms of reliabilty and longivety. Most think the taco will last longer but the sprt trac is cheaper. So they say.. buy the cheaper truck since we put 30k miles a year on them anyway.

#3 Whats the deal with the Toyota 6 cylinder motor? I have read toyota cant build a good 6 cylinder? I find this hard to believe since the supra motor is one of the most powerful and strongest motors I have ever met on the track. Whats the facts and myths around this claim??

thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Toyote VS Ford

Welcome to TTORA!

I can understand your position, but I believe that although you are clearly a Ford fan, that you are in an excellent position.

I own a Tacoma 2005, V6, 4X4, and I love it!
Let me list the reasons...

1-It will not fail me in most situations, unless I push it beyond reason.
2-Japanese manufacturing lasts far beyond American designs.
3-There is a reason that people dont like Fords
4-For me it is I have gone through 3 Ford auto trannies personally.
5-Toyotas are extremely well engineered, and built to last!

I have 55K on my truck, and I drive very assertively...Namely, hard acceleration, although smooth, and frequent gunning for passing. No probs at all..

The V6 prob was solved long ago. It had to do with the head gasket, as Toyota introduced the V6 a little prematurely, and there was a weakness, but it has DEFINITELY been rectified.

To make a point, I make excellent money, above 85K a year, and I commute 100 miles a day to work.

I could drive anything I want, yet I choose a Toyota because I know it will climb a wall, drive over most anything, handle like a sportscar, ride like a luxury sedan, and come back for more.

I made it from Livermore, CA, to Carlsbad, CA in 5 hours flat.
That is a average of 100 MPH for 5 hours straight, and not a glitch...
Felt like I was driving 55-60.

Good Idea...? No...But it was necessary, point being, it will hold up and you will not be disappointed.

The best thing is the resale value, but after driving it, who would sell it, but to get a new one?

Good luck, and dont worry, if you dont like it, you can always buy a Ford later...

Treat yourself, Im sure you deserve it! :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hey thanks for the input!!!!

I actually hate, HATE, H A T E ford. I have had nothing but bad luck with them. Since I was forced to have them as company cars for the last 10 years I have had many many of them and they all sucked. I feel really bad that all those folks in Detroit are losing their jobs.. but if Ford management, never mind.... Its just really sad. But buying a ford wont help all those people. Pray you never have to sell anything to Ford.

I design systems that build cars in automotive plants so I can tell you some stories. Suffice it to say that Ford used to be my best customer, now its toyota and I am really happy about that. And yes, Toyota camrys are more american than fords explorers at this point :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kamaaina1 said:
WATCH THIS!

Watch the WHOLE video.(about 15min.)

This should answer your questions.

lol I have that on my desk top. I showed to some toyota enginers during a presentation once.

·
Registered
532 Posts
i dont understand how you can be forced to buy anything? at least its a tacoma and not an s10 or some crap like that.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
purity said:
i dont understand how you can be forced to buy anything? at least its a tacoma and not an s10 or some crap like that.
It's becoming more common these days. Up here in Indiana, where a lot of automotive assembly takes place companies such as Dymler Chrystler do not openly come out and tell their employees that they have to be loyal to their brand, but they do discriminate against those that don't.

Case and point: last year the Jeep plant in Delphi that assembles their transmissions reserved an entire parking lot up near the buildings for those employees that drove Chrysler products. All other employees driving different brands, were forced to park nearly three blocks away, not given any shuttle service and was required to clock in as early as all other employees.

Doesn't sound like a big deal? consider our winters, when the typcal morning temperature is belowe 20º and after the first snow fall we have either snow or ice on the ground the remaining part of the season.

And if I remember right, the same plant demoded a top level executive because he drove a Lexus.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Bear said:
It's becoming more common these days. Up here in Indiana, where a lot of automotive assembly takes place companies such as Dymler Chrystler do not openly come out and tell their employees that they have to be loyal to their brand, but they do discriminate against those that don't.

Case and point: last year the Jeep plant in Delphi that assembles their transmissions reserved an entire parking lot up near the buildings for those employees that drove Chrysler products. All other employees driving different brands, were forced to park nearly three blocks away, not given any shuttle service and was required to clock in as early as all other employees.

Doesn't sound like a big deal? consider our winters, when the typcal morning temperature is belowe 20º and after the first snow fall we have either snow or ice on the ground the remaining part of the season.

And if I remember right, the same plant demoded a top level executive because he drove a Lexus.
Ya, that's real smart. Then people are going to quit, and they still have to pay people that retire and then they'll be hard pressed for money and make shitty products. Idiots.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Actually, these companies operate in smaller communities. the state has given them all types of tax incentives to move to these areas. It is common that the majority of the town's population works at the "local plant"

Another smaller community near-by by the name of Anderson Indiana used to be a "GM town" (that was what Hoosiers called it) GM closed the plant down shortly before I moved up here, I would say 4 or 5 years ago. I have a friend that his family lives in Anderson. I was with his dad this last weekend and he told me that Anderson is practically a ghost town now because of GM moving out.

bottom line is these manufactures know they have the towns by the short hairs, so they can dictitate such policies.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Toyota has generally always had good quality and reliability....

I've owned Toyota's, Jeeps, Dodge...and I'm about to go back to a Toyota again.

It's weird...but Toyota is somewhat *behind the times* in keeping up with the rest of the automakers when it comes to towing and creature comforts.

We've owned a used Jeep Grand Cherokee for many years and the creature comforts and the 4WD system were far more advanced than what anything Toyota had to offer during the same year. The Dodge Ram I'm about to trade-in, isn't even the fully loaded Laramie ...and it has more creature comforts than the TRD Sport Tacoma. Perhaps the Tundra has it all?

One thing has stuck out in my mind - is that perhaps Toyota has (and hopefully continues) to spend more time ensuring reliability and quality rather than all the fancy bells/whistles that other manufacturers offer. However - with bells & whistles comes price. And Toyotas are probably more expensive than all the others of equal options.

So - what you get in quality & reliability, you lack in other things.

I'm still baffled why the new Tacomas still have drum brakes in the rear?
You'd think with 4 wheel ABS - they'd design disc brakes in the rear!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Janster said:
I'm still baffled why the new Tacomas still have drum brakes in the rear?
You'd think with 4 wheel ABS - they'd design disc brakes in the rear!
Because in the north the disks keep on rusting out and seizing calipers.

or at least that's the problem I had with my 2k S-10 with 4w disks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don't be worried about getting a Toyota. My '99 Tacoma Prerunner V6 has 126,000 miles on it and I can honestly say that I have had NO problems with it. I know everyday when I get in to the truck, that its going to start right up and get me where I need to go. The truck is pretty much indestructible... I've beaten the thing up in glamis year after year, off road it around my house in mud / rocks, and drive it as if the badging read "Ferrari" not Toyota. One time I even went 20,000 miles without changing the oil and it was STILL clean! Really. This design takes a beating and comes back begging for more. Being an engineer myself I can really appreciate what the Toyota designers and engineers have done, and I'm really impressed with their work. My next truck WILL be another Tacoma ( '07 DC 4x4 TRD OR :xrocker: ) and anyone who asks my opinion on the Brand gets the same answer I just gave...

:boobies: <----- hahah, I just saw this one on the list... had to do it.

-MechEngr1

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
It's pretty fucking sad when they think they can only sell their shit by force.
You'd think that if anything they would have it the other way around so they could more easily find out what they are up against then really compete with it.

It's that whole sense of entitlement bullshit all over again.

·
Registered
639 Posts
You should be a little more clear, is the your employer buying the car for you? Or just asking that you drive the Toyota instead of the Ford? Does it have to do with car allowance? In any case, you will not be unhappy with that Toyota, it's a great truck. Best truck in it's class, hands down. I think you have another thread going regarding prices....if your company is paying for it, shouldn't they be negotiating? It sounds like your employer is giving you a car allowance.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Ive got the 3.4 v6 auto and its pushing 220k right now. Im very very hard on it and its still going strong. At 210k I had the tranny opened up (because the previous bastard before me never had the fluid changed for 145k) and cleaned out, nothing replaced but a sensor and its like new again. Didnt cost much either. Not sure about the new v6 but as far as Im concerned people are 20yrs behind on the reliability of autos. Most will last as long as a manual these days.

·
Registered
111 Posts
keynote22 said:
The taco I am about to buy is part of my compensation package. My company is requiring me to buy one since toyota is our best customer. In the past, I have always been GIVEN a Ford to drive. Im kinda stressed about being forced to BUY a brand new and frankley expensive truck. I have never purchased a new vehicle since one gets raped in the first year depreciation. So I can tell you many many horror stories of ford ownership.. suffice it to say that my company no longer offers fords as a truck choice.

Here's the questions.

#1 First, I have been told that you cant reasonably expect any automatic to last beyond 100k with out major overhaul. True false?

#2 Although toyotas over all quality is above average, they do have issues. Ie. the 99 frame rust through and the 05 electric locker issue. Since this will be the most expensive vehicle I own... anyone have a feeling for the 07 model? My company is internal fighting about switching from Ford sport tracks to tacomas. So basically we are compairing a sport track to a tacoma in terms of reliabilty and longivety. Most think the taco will last longer but the sprt trac is cheaper. So they say.. buy the cheaper truck since we put 30k miles a year on them anyway.

#3 Whats the deal with the Toyota 6 cylinder motor? I have read toyota cant build a good 6 cylinder? I find this hard to believe since the supra motor is one of the most powerful and strongest motors I have ever met on the track. Whats the facts and myths around this claim??

thanks
#1: false. the aisin tranny's are great. as with other things...proper maintenance will keep things running in top condition.

#2: if you want a cheap truck, you get a cheap truck. cheap doesnt mean better, especially when comparing toyota VS brandX. if youre only owning this tacoma for a small amount of time then tossing it..sure cheap out n get a sport trac. if youre wanting something thats reliable and will last AND hold its value..nothing beats toyota. IMO ford doesnt belong in the same sentence as reliability & longevity.

#3: depends on which 6cyl youre referring to. i dont know anything about the newest motors, but the 3.0L 3VZE was notorious for blowing head gaskets, not to mention they're quite underpowered. the 3.4L is a gem, and id bet its safe to say anything after that is also problem free. the supra motor is a turbo'd I6 . quite a different beast than a V6 N/A...but yes that supra motor is the tits...

·
Registered
639 Posts
In addition, the Toyota will have a much higher resale value than the Ford, so in the end you will be saving money. You could pick up used Sport Tracs all day long for a $2-3000 back of Wholesale Kelley Blue Book; You'd be lucky to touch a Toyota Tacoma for even wholesale blue book. IMO a little more spent now will be like money in the bank

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks guys. I keep forgetting the resale. I know a tacoma with 100k is worth much more than a sport trac with 100k (if the sport trac still runs :p ) That $30k price tag is just a monster to a guy who has never spent more than $13k for a car.

I look forward to joining the ranks of owner shortly

·
Registered
113 Posts
This is my 3rd Toyota truck with an '88 and '93 as my previous trucks. Never had any problems with them at all. Now, I have an 06 TRD Offroad 4wd 6spd with 15K miles on it and absolutely no problems with it, except for the exhaust leak ticking sound. Super reliable and very offroad capable, and a blast to drive! Get the Toyota and save yourself some headaches with the Fords on down the road!!

·
Registered
750 Posts
My Dad has 3 toyotas (06 Tacoma and 2 Echos), I bought an 06 Tacoma and my Uncle (Dad's Brother) Also owns an Echo (damn they are cheap to run.)

For reliability, longevity, resale value and anything else you can thing of, only Honda can compare IMO

1 - 20 of 27 Posts