TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. A friend of mine found a front solid axle from an early 80s Hilux. Actually, he found the front 1/2 of the truck itself and it happened to have everything from the back of the cab to the rear bumper just chopped off. Since the truck was found on his family's property, he can get it from his grandpa for a song.

Now come the questions. Assuming the axle is going to be in good enough condition and I can get the other parts either from that vehicle, my vehicle (brakes, etc), or I can buy them, what issues am I going to run into dealing with the axle itself? More specifically:

Will the front axle be left or right side input? Is it dependent on which year it is? Is it a different width then the one I have in back?

For those who would suggest a different axle, the reason I would be getting this one is because it'd be free or $50. Can't really beat the price.

The work that will be done will be by my friend for the most part. I'll be there for when he goes, hey, turn this wrench, but I have no delusions when it comes to how competent I am when it comes to working on cars.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. And I won't be going the toyota axle for SAS then. Maybe there's another vehicle out there on his property that we can scavenge from.....thanks everyone! :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Get the axle anyway! It's worth a good bit more than $50. I've seen a ton of those axles used in SAS'. You could get a transfer case with a pass side drop relatively cheap I'd think. I bought one with a tranny attached for $250 so I'm sure the t-case would be much cheaper.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But in doing a passenger side drop, I'd have to get a transfer case, redo my exhaust and do a lot more to the vehicle then if I found a different axle with a driver side drop.

I might pick it up anyway, who knows.

·
Registered
779 Posts
like an old jeep or heavy duty ford with a d44... time to go axle hunting!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OHHH!! You mean like swapping the IFS and rear axle out for ROCKWELLS right? :eek:

J/K

Also, taking my friend's axle and then turning around and selling it would be kinda rude I think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts