TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1980 toyota pickup 20R
I have an alternator out of a 92 suburban (I believe) laying around and i'm thinking about putting it in my toyota. Just a few questions about hooking it all up.
  1. The GM alt has one red wire and one black. I'm assuming all I need is to hook the red to the positive side of the battery and the black to a ground. Any other additional wiring needed?
  2. My current pulley just have has one groove while the GM has about 4 grooves. What you you guys recommend to get the pulley right?
I know I will need to order a new bracket from TG. Any input or advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
329 Posts
1980 toyota pickup 20R
I have an alternator out of a 92 suburban (I believe) laying around and i'm thinking about putting it in my toyota. Just a few questions about hooking it all up.
  1. The GM alt has one red wire and one black. I'm assuming all I need is to hook the red to the positive side of the battery and the black to a ground. Any other additional wiring needed?
  2. My current pulley just have has one groove while the GM has about 4 grooves. What you you guys recommend to get the pulley right?
I know I will need to order a new bracket from TG. Any input or advice is appreciated!
Hey man

I have an '80 with a 20r and the PO swapped in a GM alternator.

I don't know where they got the brackets or the V-belt pulley for the Gm alternator, but maybe I can help with the wiring (although I am still fixing the PO's hack job of wiring :rolleyes:)

My trucks voltage regulator has been removed, and the red wire from the alternator is tapped into the red wire of that harness

here is a pic of the red wire (coming from the alternator bottom right) and tapping into that wire harness (red wire and blue duct tape :eek::mad:)

The other wire is a ground and it is the fat white wire with the green fusible link in the picture (under the blue duct tape, going to alternator 6:00 in pic)

hope this helps even though, like i said, it was a hack job by the previous owner. It works very well so I have to assume that it is tapped into the correct wires.

good luck

-Tim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cut the connector off the Toyota alternator harness. If I'm not mistaken, the red alternator wire goes to the red Toyota wire (ignition), and the black alternator wire goes to the yellow Toyota wire (charge light circuit). Tape up the remaining wires. I ran a 4g wire directly to my battery when I swapped in my power master gm 12si alternator. The stock wire won't handle that much output.

But I'm not responsible for your truck blowing up. I'm not sure exactly which alternator your using. There is plenty of info out there if you search.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Cut the connector off the Toyota alternator harness. If I'm not mistaken, the red alternator wire goes to the red Toyota wire (ignition), and the black alternator wire goes to the yellow Toyota wire (charge light circuit). Tape up the remaining wires. I ran a 4g wire directly to my battery when I swapped in my power master gm 12si alternator. The stock wire won't handle that much output.

But I'm not responsible for your truck blowing up. I'm not sure exactly which alternator your using. There is plenty of info out there if you search.
Maybe you have some insight you can share.

I have the above setup with a mysterious alternator (looks to be GM to me) and there is one red wire and one thicker gauge white wire. The wires are hack and tapped into the stock connector from the PO.

I want my tachometer, charge light, and volt meter to work.

according to this diagram for a 20r truck, the tach and charge circuit are connected through the alternator harness. how can i make them work?

thanks
-Tim

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wish I could be more help. I can't say about the tachometer, I know the yellow wire in the toyota alternator plug is the charge light circuit. Without that hooked up, the charge circuit will think there is no juice and the charge light will stay on. My GM alternator has a red and white wire, white spliced into the charge light circuit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts