TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok well I finally got off my butt and did the install... Here's what I have:

2.5" OME lift

Front 881 Springs, 4 OME shocks, Alcan rear AALs with the pads, extended brake line (rear)

Fortunately for me my neighbor has a full auto lift in his garage, which made the install that much easier.

Started off with the rear add a leafs, disassembled the leaf packs per the instructions. All went well with the exception of my brain fart and reinstalling the drivers side overload spring up side down..lol!! Had to tear that back apart and do it again (I was on crack lol!!) it all went together in about 3 hrs. due to a few minor complications. (stripped shock bolt etc..)

Turned the truck around and started on the front coils. Took the coil and shocks out, then with my brand new never been used sears craftsman heavy duty coil spring compressors compressed the first spring, got the top plate off.. dissassembled the compressor, and moved on to the next spring.. Compressed it down, got it dissassembled.. Went to unscrew the coil spring compressor, and one side bound up. Totally cross threaded itself before I could completely remove the coil.. (Note to self: don't buy that crap again)had to leave the truck on the lift disassembled and take the coils to a friends shop the next day.. got the new coils and shocks reassembled, and headed back to finish the job. Now the fun of trying to return the compressors (with the old coils still in them, and get my $$ back.. grr!)

With the length of the new coils and springs, it was very difficult to get them back on.. I tried the "bottle jack in the wheel well" trick.. that got us close, but then found that the cv boot was in the way to be able to get the bolt in from the back side (as it was). finally after taking the sway bar disconnects off, I decide to just pop the top ball joint and wala.. after 2 hours of messing around with the jack and sway bars, the quickest solution (for me) was to just do the top ball joint. If I would have done that at first the install would have taken 15mins per side.

So - be advised: Those of you who are attempting the front spring install, do yourself a favor, and just pop the top ball joint out.. The trick I used was unscrew the nut till it is flush with the top of the bolt, whack it a few times with the BFH, and it should drop fairly quick. When reassembling, the bolt (ball joint) tends to spin in place, unless you use an impact wrench which worked great for me. The reassembly was very fast using an impact wrench.

Driving impressions:

Phenominal!!

Soaks up the bumps like never before. The truck sits nice and high, looks like it "should" have from the factory.. I am very pleased with the way the truck performs on road.. before the lift, my truck would hit a series of bumps and cracks in the road and literally jump all over the lane.. Now it is a very controlled ride. hit a bump, it tracks well and drives strait.

Now that the lift has been on the truck for a week, it has even softened a bit more and rides like a brand new truck!!

I highly recommend this lift to anyone looking to improve the ride of their truck!!

FWIW

FH

·
Registered
52 Posts
anyone else got this toytec 2.5" OME kit? I have been looking at it for a while and wanted some more opinions... Mine is a 2003 d-cab TRD 4x4. Don't do any serious wheeling, but want the truck sitting higher and don't want to spend a fortune doing it. Also want to maintain ride quality as much as possible.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry.. haven't been on in a while... Broke my hand last week so typing is a pain right now. I will get some before and after pics for ya'll.. stay tuned..

FH

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
anyone else got this toytec 2.5" OME kit? I have been looking at it for a while and wanted some more opinions... Mine is a 2003 d-cab TRD 4x4. Don't do any serious wheeling, but want the truck sitting higher and don't want to spend a fortune doing it. Also want to maintain ride quality as much as possible.
Your best bet would be to go to customtacos.com. They have lots of ideas for MALL RUNNERS with pic's.

·
Registered
232 Posts
damn, sounds like a pain in the arse. I have really been leaning towards the OME route...

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've got the 2.5" toytech and I'm pretty happy with it. Sags a little in the front. My 32x11.50s are rubbing. The only problems I had during installation were the coil compressor the rental place gave me wasn't strong enough to compress the springs, it just bowed and stripped out. 2nd I didn't note the alignment of the bolts at the top and had to compress them again to line them up. I would recommend it for a cheap hight increase. It works fine until I can get myself a fabtech lift.

·
Registered
521 Posts
S

I've got the 2.5" toytech and I'm pretty happy with it. Sags a little in the front. My 32x11.50s are rubbing. The only problems I had during installation were the coil compressor the rental place gave me wasn't strong enough to compress the springs, it just bowed and stripped out. 2nd I didn't note the alignment of the bolts at the top and had to compress them again to line them up. I would recommend it for a cheap hight increase. It works fine until I can get myself a fabtech lift.
x2

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its been a while, but I wanted to wait until I got my 33 bfg ATs on the truck before I uploaded pictures, so here they are. (hopefully the attachments come through.)

Attachments

·
Registered
633 Posts
Looks good. Thumbs up.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I used the autozone ones the first couple of times I did it and then one of my friends started working at a shop down the street so I got him to compress a couple of them. They were just wall mounted ones at a tire shop

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What type of compressor did they use? I'm on my 3rd shop, and no one has been able to get their compressors on the 882's???? Not even our local 4x4 shop.
The one they used was a "scissor" style compressor like the one shown in this link:

http://www.toolsource.com/macpherso...-62127.html?osCsid=4u2f8cse6kgei40u31cinokqe0

The other day I saw a set like this at our local Harbor frieght tools store. Like these, but Im not sure how heavy duty these are.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=strut+compressor&Submit=Go

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ok, I finally finished. I had to rent the ones from Autozone. One 4x4 shop said that they couldn't do it because the compressor would be trapped... the other shop said that they wouldn't touch it because I didn't buy it from them... the local tire/strut places said that they didn't understand the concept of it and that it would blow out the struts.

I went home, wreched on the compressor for a couple hours, installed the 882's and had the truck on the road with no issues whatsoever. The compressor did get stuck between the coils when removing it, but a pry bar and a little elbow grease took it out.

Needless to say, Toytec will be getting an email today explaining that the shops that THEY recommended me having the work done can't and won't do it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Its been a while, but I wanted to wait until I got my 33 bfg ATs on the truck before I uploaded pictures, so here they are. (hopefully the attachments come through.)
looks nice, 33x10.5 or 12.5? Did you use any trim packers on the springs are is it just the springs?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts