TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This past weekend I helped a local SONTT member install
a Toytec Ultimate 3'' lift, Light Racing UCA's, ARB bull bar, Titan 10k lbs winch, Transmission Cooler.

Here is a 2008 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Special Editon in the stock form.

Here is a pic of the front bezel,bumper,bumper shield removed

Kevin ( owner ) disassembled the stock bumper, removed the battery and did some prep work before I arrived Saturday morning.

Kevin installed the ARB mounting brackets, while I clocked the winch for proper clutch position. The Titan winch clocking bolts, are located inside the winch housing.

Before the winch was installed we did a dry fit of the ARB on the new mounting brackets.
It was a good thing we did this before the winch was installed. It turns out the mounting brackets were a little narrow, preventing the ARB to be positioned on the brackets.
To solve this problem we used the OEM bottle jack (what a piece of crap, eh Kev? LOL) and a piece of 2x4 together, to spread the mounting brackets. A couple attempts at spreading and installing, the bumper mounted perfectly.
We then removed the bumper to install the winch.

After the winch was clocked, it was time to mount the winch on the bumper.

The ARB winch mounting holes are designed for the width of a Warn winch.
The Titan winch didn't match the ARB mounting holes, the width was slightly narrow. To remedy this problem, the winch mounting holes needed modification. The holes needed widening using a air body saw. It took a few attempts to fit the winch.

The top bolts mounted perfectly, while the supplied bottom bolts were a little short. The bottom mounting bolts hold the fairlead to the bumper and secure the winch.
In order to bolt the fairlead to the bumper and winch, we removed the outer rollers to access the bolt holes. The fairlead holes didn't match the mounting holes on the bumper. New holes were drilled in the fairlead.

The thickness of the fairlead and bumper, required us to replace the supplied bolts, with longer bolts. We found new bolts at a local TSC store.

Wiring up the Titan winch solenoid and prepping the tranny cooler for install. This particular tranny cooler fit quite well on the driver side radiator.

I'm installing the same cooler in my Tacoma.

Kevin checking out the cooler, making the move to install.

There was plenty of room to route the input and output hoses through a hole beside the rad. and around to the tranny. The hole we used is the one with the piece of foam.

Well thats all for today, I'll update tomorrow.......

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The next step was replacing the stock struts with the Toytec Coilovers.
We were also replacing the stock UCA's, this is done after the coilovers are installed.
The coilovers were easy to install. We used a pry bar to force down the UCA to fit the coilover.
Three bolts that hold the coilover in place, the front two were easy to get at, the rear bolt was tricky, we used a ratchet wrench to remove and install the rear bolt.

The Light Racing UCA's were next.
The first UCA (passenger side) was easy to install.... sort of.
The drake line brackets were unbolted, UCA installed, next step was trying to figure out the position of the Ball joint.
The mystery was..... what was the proper position, considering the ball joint could be rotated 360* . The install instructions didn't indicate the position for a FJ.
The ball joint could be mounted in different degree positions to change the castor.
We decided to play it safe and surf it up on the netweb.
the ball joint position should be pulled out (away from the mid point of the FJ) the ball joint top plate flush with the UCA edge. The pic shows the position better then I can explain.

Driver side C/O and UCA

The front wheels back on gave a noticeable lift in the front end.....

The rear end was being replaced with the Toytec rear lift coils.
We also swapped out the stock Bilstein's replacing them with Rancho Shocks.

After double checking our work, and mounting the rear wheels it was time to checkout the FJ's new stance.
It was a nice noticeable lift.

In the end it was a fun wrench weekend, long hours (longer then expected, there were a few hick-ups, no big deal)
An alignment is in order, although the truck tracks better then stock according to Kevin.
A few loose ends to tie up. The main work was done.
I think Kevin needs 33's, he's thinking about leaving the current tire size, as is. Sorry I cant remember the current size. He was talking about mounting 285's.
Time will tell.
I haven't had a chance to ride in the FJ. I was too tired, after pulling a all-nighter to get this install done. I just wanted to go home and sleep.

Thanks Kevin for calling me, to wrench with ya.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Nice job. I've got a similar set up, but with OME 886/896. I run 255/85R16s off-road and have been very happy with them. I did need to chop the body mounts to avoid rubbing. I'm guessing he has OEM 265/75R16 and bumping up to 285s might cause rubbing, but will depend on the tire.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I imagine there will be rubbing with the 285's, yes he is running the OEM tires. Not sure how keen he is about cutting the body mounts, if it was my FJ, I'd cut them and run 255's.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I imagine there will be rubbing with the 285's, yes he is running the OEM tires. Not sure how keen he is about cutting the body mounts, if it was my FJ, I'd cut them and run 255's.
Get him to drill into the body for a snorkel and the body mounts won't even make him twitch :D

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Nice rig - did you happen to take before and after height measurements?

I am wondering how much actual lift you gained going with a bumper and winch right off the bat.

Have you bumped up the preload on the coilovers to gain back some height?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So far the front end hasn't changed, it may take longer. the height gain is 2''.

Kevin had the alignment done at Toyota last night, it was slightly toe in, very little adjustment was needed.

This FJ feels like a Cadillac. The suspension is impressive.
The day was spent at the local haunts nothing to exciting, but good to stretch a new suspension.....
Thanks kev for letting me drive the FJ :)

The man and the machine....

Here's the video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQWZI6QW4jw

1 - 11 of 11 Posts