TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone in AZ have the Toytech 3" spring lift kit? I just bought it for my '96 extcab Taco and I have some questions about the springs. The new springs are OME881s and I know they're stiffer, but how bad is the ride and If I get a new shock will it be better? Some people say it's stiffer and others say its better than stock (will a bilstein shock). Also, I got the AAL for the rear...but I am being told to just get a new leaf pack because I already have 111,000 on the truck. Any experience in this specific area is great!

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I can't speak to the front coils, but the rear springs are old as dirt and really you should just replace the pack with somehting that is arched for 3" of lift. I know Deavers and Alcan are both options that have served people well in the past. Or, you can have Dunbar spring here in Phx make you a set for less than either of the abovementioned companies. The only thing with Dunbar is you have to give him all the specs for the leaf and he builds them to those exact specs. If I recall correctly he charges $4 a pound to make new leafs.

I have also heard people say that a new set of shocks can help the ride with those 881's, but not sure, sorry.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
881 with HD bills will be alot better than stock - if you plan on running a heavier front bumper and or winch 882 would be a better - both will end up sagging and you'll have wished you spent the extra mony on a set of adjustable coils.

·
Registered
879 Posts
for the rear, you have the shorter leafs like my truck. They are the same length as the leafs on the older toy pickups. I replaced my leaf pack with a 4 leaf from Downey. At the time I purchased it, it was only 200 bucks which is a deal compared to others. I've been quite happy with them, it rides stiff, but that's due to my crappy ass shocks. Just waiting to have T-boob do a shock relo on it. Takes awhile to stockpile enough Keystone light for that :rofl:

·
Registered
879 Posts
wake up Bob! no smart ass comment? Maybe we should send your chubby lover over to add some beer to your IV lol

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
didn't even see it - ya know I've actually been kicking around the idea of putting together a relo kit.

azredtaco said:
wake up Bob! no smart ass comment? Maybe we should send your chubby lover over to add some beer to your IV lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
TBob
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing