TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some Day 1 and Day 2 pics of the new truck I bought for the shop. I picked it up for a real good deal. It is a 2003 Toyota Tacoma regular cab, and as basic as they come. Charles and I had been thinking of what chassis to put my race motor in and this is what we chose. We will be posting pics regularly as the build comes along, but all we have done so far is take out everything. Our goal is a 8 sec street truck. Thanks for looking.

Josh

Before the gutting.

Halfway

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Have a few more updates.

The wiring kit, parachute, and fuel cell arrived. We are mocking all the stuff up so we can send the truck to paint.

The wiring kit has started to go in and the fuel cell is mounted. We also have the motor in so we can mock up the motor and tranny mounts.

Here you go:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
8 seconds... :rolleyes: in a taco....

you would be better off ridin a bull :cool:

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Ive seen close to that at bristol. same truck with a built supra motor. ran just over a 9

·
Registered
773 Posts
Thanks for sharing your build up. Do you plan on tubing the chassis? Do you plan on running fiberglass fenders and bed to cut weight? What motor\trans\rearend combo will you be running?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for sharing your build up. Do you plan on tubing the chassis? Do you plan on running fiberglass fenders and bed to cut weight? What motor\trans\rearend combo will you be running?
the motor that you see is a 2jz supra motor. tranny is a th400 and rear end will be a ford 9 inch

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Cool! :xpopcorn2 subscribed

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Your cool :buttkick:
a shit ton cooler then you buddy... :flipoff3:

i retract my last statement and call bullshit agian, just to have this guy prove it to me...

lets see the 8 seconds chief...

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
UHM, an 8 second truck on a 10 inch tire, maybe 8.99's. I seriously doubt it with that engine. Gonna take a lot of boost or squeeze and one hell of a good driver. What rear diff, trans, suspension combo. Gas tank is waaaay too big and mounted too high...I want to see time slips and video:rolleyes:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UHM, an 8 second truck on a 10 inch tire, maybe 8.99's. I seriously doubt it with that engine. Gonna take a lot of boost or squeeze and one hell of a good driver. What rear diff, trans, suspension combo. Gas tank is waaaay too big and mounted too high...I want to see time slips and video:rolleyes:
that is a 13.5 inch tire

and here is a vid of a guy running 9.22 @ 144.5 with only 550hp. I will have about 900-1000hp. So yall can umm... well be dumb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EJIRYx6LH4

Also about the gas tank, where else would you mount it, it is 15 gallons, not that big. I am glad you know what you are talking about :rolleyes:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Josh,

Ignore the haters. Please continue to share the progress on this beast. I'm thinking of building something similar in a few years. Best of luck.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Any reason you put the tank behind the rear axle? I can understand the need to put weight over the rear end with a truck, but won't putting it behind the rear axle increase the trucks tendancy to lift its nose on launch? I would think putting it just forward of the rear axle would be a bit better.

Also, are you going to 4 link the rear end?

8 seconds with a 2JZ is doable.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
that is a 13.5 inch tire

and here is a vid of a guy running 9.22 @ 144.5 with only 550hp. I will have about 900-1000hp. So yall can umm... well be dumb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EJIRYx6LH4

Also about the gas tank, where else would you mount it, it is 15 gallons, not that big. I am glad you know what you are talking about :rolleyes:
You don't put a 15 gallon race cell in a drag truck...now who's stupid? Also, last time I checked gas wieghed approximately 7.5 lbs per gallon. So I guess you'll be dragging around an extra 100 lbs of fuel. Every 100 lbs of weight that you shave off the truck equals 1/10th faster in the old 1320 times. But then again, I figure you'll be smart enough to drain 13 gallons out of the tank before you race. Then the remaining 2 gallons in that big ole tank will run to the back when you hit the loud pedal and the pump will starve for fuel. UHM, that is smart!! Maybe mounting a 2-3 gallon race cell would have been the better choice. So you're preaching to the choir son. I've drag raced all sorts of cars over the years. I ran Nitrous when you were still a stain in your daddy's shorts. I pulled my first roots blower off a truck in the big rig boneyard and ran it on my 9 second big block Camaro. I drank beer with Dyer and Pink when I wasn't even out of high school. Sorry but your pic didn't exactly give us the tire size. It looked like a 10 inch tire. But since you know what you are doing, you won't be running that cheater slick on a 8 second car will you?? Anyone who knows their ass from a hole in the ground wouldn't mount a moving mass (gas tank) that high in the vehicle. See there's this funny thing called physics. When gas starts sloshing around at 140+ MPH and the truck is is doing the old sidewall boogie, cause you gotta air way down to get any traction on that small of a tire, then the ass end comes around on you. We'll see who's stupid then cowboy. Plus, why in the hell are you posting drag trucks in a 4x4 forum? All I asked was that you prove it. Hell, I even gave you credit for maybe an 8.99 time slip with enough boost or squeeze.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
You don't put a 15 gallon race cell in a drag truck...now who's stupid? Also, last time I checked gas wieghed approximately 7.5 lbs per gallon. So I guess you'll be dragging around an extra 100 lbs of fuel. Every 100 lbs of weight that you shave off the truck equals 1/10th faster in the old 1320 times. But then again, I figure you'll be smart enough to drain 13 gallons out of the tank before you race. Then the remaining 2 gallons in that big ole tank will run to the back when you hit the loud pedal and the pump will starve for fuel. UHM, that is smart!! Maybe mounting a 2-3 gallon race cell would have been the better choice. So you're preaching to the choir son. I've drag raced all sorts of cars over the years. I ran Nitrous when you were still a stain in your daddy's shorts. I pulled my first roots blower off a truck in the big rig boneyard and ran it on my 9 second big block Camaro. I drank beer with Dyer and Pink when I wasn't even out of high school. Sorry but your pic didn't exactly give us the tire size. It looked like a 10 inch tire. But since you know what you are doing, you won't be running that cheater slick on a 8 second car will you?? Anyone who knows their ass from a hole in the ground wouldn't mount a moving mass (gas tank) that high in the vehicle. See there's this funny thing called physics. When gas starts sloshing around at 140+ MPH and the truck is is doing the old sidewall boogie, cause you gotta air way down to get any traction on that small of a tire, then the ass end comes around on you. We'll see who's stupid then cowboy. Plus, why in the hell are you posting drag trucks in a 4x4 forum? All I asked was that you prove it. Hell, I even gave you credit for maybe an 8.99 time slip with enough boost or squeeze.
Dude, god damn just shut up and admit that this guy knows a lot more about building a race taco then you do and let him get on with his build up.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Our goal is a 8 sec street truck.

Maybe that's why he is using a 15 gallon tank, hmmm... He's making a street truck that can be capable of clicking off 8 seconds. Some of ya'll need to read what the original poster wrote down instead of flaming him that he should have put in a smaller tank and so on...

TPE: Keep up the good work. It's not my thing since I perfer seeing Camaros and Mustangs tearing up the dragstrip. But you are doing an awesome job so far!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts