TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never started a traditional build thread because the time line and plan for my truck was a bit different when I bought but now that things have changed, here goes!

I witnessed my first off road race at the tender age of 6 at the 1980 Mint 400. For nearly a decade the annual family trek to Las Vegas each spring for the race provided some of my fondest childhood memories. My bedroom wall was covered with tech swag from legends like Don Adams, Walker Evans, and Ivan Stewart. I day dreamed about being a desert racer but never really found myself in a position to pursue it.

Fast forward nearly 20 years, a father and husband, 10+ years in to a military career, I found myself back in Las Vegas and reconnected with the sport I grew up with. In the summer of 2009 my wife and I bought a 2004 Tacoma that ironically happens to have a bit of history on this board...

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35938

Pics of the truck after the Camburg LT kit are still featured on Camburg's actually.

Anyway, we bought the truck as a long term project, intending to use it as a daily driver/weekend warrior with the possibility of some day building it to be a race legal truck. After a year of tinkering with some cosmetic changes and a few upgrades, thanks to Uncle Sam I had to pack up and move across the country to our nation's capitol. Figuring the truck wouldn't make for a good commuter ride, we made the decision to leave it in Las Vegas and keep slow building it to eventually race.

A few months after landing in DC, again thanks to Uncle Sam I was tagged for a 6 month deployment. Never great to be away from home but the added financial benefits of the deployment, coupled with an unbeatable fabrication partnership fast tracked our race plans. With money and help to build the truck, TaxPayer Funded racing was born.

What started 30+ years ago in the deserts of Southern Nevada will finally become a reality in 2012 as we push to complete the truck to compete in Class 2000 at the HDRA Parhump Point to Point race in October of this year.

Be sure to "like" our Facebook page and follow us through the build/prep process as we chase the desert racing dream!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

And the pics....

Picked up the truck in July 2009 with a Camburg LT kit, SAW coilovers and bypasses up front, Deaver prerunner pack with 14" SAW threaded body shocks mounted via a Solo Motorsports built bedcage. Front and rear bumpers also Solo built, sitting on 35" Nittos.

Step 1....Removed stickers and added new 33" BFG KM2s...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Decided to start adding a bit of cab cage to protect the occupants in case I had even less talent than I thought! Work done by Jared at Vegas Steel in Las Vegas...

Wanted to change the look of the truck to start fresh and give it a new identity to make it feel like "ours" so we did a little cosmetic makeover starting with some Glassworks TT Bedsides...

Then decided to add a Fiberwerx Tundra Conversion clip. The story goes, I picked up the orginal clip from Kartek and quickly discovered that it was warped pretty badly. The clip didn't line up with the mini fenders and basically wasn't fixable without a significant level of work.

I contacted Fiberwerx and they could have told me to pound sand but didn't. They looked at pics, agreed that it was off, and expressed an interest in re doing the mold. I offered to take my truck to them to make the new mold. Jason and co. redid the mold, installed the new clip, and brought the truck back to me in Vegas.

The resulting product was excellent in my opinion and I have nothing but great things to say about Jason and everyone I've dealt with over the last two years at Fiberwerx...

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
sounds cool ! what class are you racing in the hdra series? sportsman?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Had to cut off the Solo built front bumper in order to fit the clip so I managed to convince my friend Khris (sirhk100) to help me out. After serving as my sounding board, answering questions, keeping me from making ridiculous buys, etc, he became the primary fabricator of the truck...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds cool ! what class are you racing in the hdra series? sportsman?
We will race 2000 in HDRA, the leaf sprung mini truck class. Because of the logistical challenges of my job, commuting from Washington, D.C., etc, we probably won't be able to run a full HDRA season as getting the truck to Reno, Plaster City, etc at this point is pretty tough.

But will try to sneak in a hand full of races in 2013 depending on how things go and will race whatever series we can fit in (MORE, SNORE) and will run whatever class makes the most sense.

Some day (maybe after another deployment pay day!) we'll link the truck and mix it up with the big dogs but for the short term we'll stick to the leaf sprung classes where available or 1400 if necessary.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
To that point, roughly spring 2010, we hadn't done much to the truck performance wise, just the cosmetics.

A few months prior, I had the good fortune of winning a set of All Pro Baja Leafs thanks to a generous give away they did on this forum. Knowing that adding the leafs would involve more, they sat in the garage for a bit until Khris offered to do the work plus add a bedcage for next to nothing.

So with that said, I picked up all the appropriate hardware from Total Chaos and we started the first major fabrication upgrade of the the truck...

Then the All Pro Baja leafs...

Then got a little crazy and added a 32 Gal Jaz Fuel Cell and King 2.5x18" Triple Bypasses for good measure...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
And THAT brings us to the present! Currently the truck is having a custom full race kit built at MCM Fab and Design in Las Vegas, NV. After it's completion scheduled for later this month, the truck will get gutted to make way for an engine cage and 2" cab cage.

The front suspension will get King 2.5x10" Race Series Coilovers and 3.0x10" Triple Bypasses. The King 2.5x18" triples in the back will be replaced with 3.0x18 4 tubes. We'll be adding a Schriener built 35 spline full floater and adding plenty of plating to strengthen everything up.

The cab will get a makeover with a Fiberwerx dash and console decked out with Momo wheel, NRG disconnect, Auto Meter gauges, intercom and radio from Rugged Radios, GPS, and a pair of sexy ReplayXD1080s to capture all the action.

The current plan is to have the bulk of the fabrication done by the end of spring to allow for fine tuning, shock valving, etc through the summer. Will add pics as we go and update our Facebook often.

Will begin a modest attempt to seek some product/financial support in the very near future, appreciate all the "Facebook" likes and good will we can get!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Nice writeup! I'm excited to see what we can make it do over the next half year or so! What I saw yesterday at MCM for the start of the spindles was really nice and put some piece of mind into that adventure.

The best part about this build is you list all the kick ass parts that will be on the truck in the future like everyone always does. The difference is most people do that as their dream/wish list wher in your case, 90% of the parts are already purchased and collecting dust around my house! LOL

Speaking of that, have Pat hit me up or let him know I'm around most evenings this week with exception of wed night for our monthly happy hour with the normal group and the Warlocks!

LOL, and you just had to use the pictures where the cell was temporarily ratchet strapped in place didn't you! I'm actually planning to redo those current hold downs too btw... They work but they've never been really appealing to me at the same time.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Truck looks amazing!! I'm pretty jealous of those new big shocks..

I really love the look of the rear cage work..keep the pics comin!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
^^^ oh my!!!

:eek::D:p;) It's gonna be fun!!!

I really love the look of the rear cage work..keep the pics comin!!
The will keep coming for sure once I get my hands back on it. I'm excited to see what MCM is doing and expect it to start rolling pretty quick! I've got probably about another 2 week worth of personal vehicle projects to button up and then clean up the garage and get ready for a multi month spare time marathon session on it!

Rear cage is probably about 80% done. Still need to box in the rear part of the frame and there's still a couple more tubes I want to add to the rear eventually along the line. Jason knows about some of them, probably doesn't know about a couple of them. LOL :saw:

I know what this is the beginnings of also... Do you? LOL

1 - 20 of 353 Posts
About this Discussion
352 Replies
37 Participants
sirhk100
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing