TTORA Forum banner

321 - 340 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
Two days away from hopping on a plane to London for the next three years so have fallen behind on truck updates, etc. Finally got around to posting some HDRA South Point 250 pictures on our Facebook page.

Here are some of the pictures my Dad took throughout the day:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.494811453919284.1073741827.255393361194429&type=1&l=57cbfd19df

And some action shots from the pro photogs out on course:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.494811453919284.1073741827.255393361194429&type=1&l=57cbfd19df

Make sure to like our Facebook page if you haven't already! Will be finally uploading some race action video soon followed by some stuff from a nice little test session Khris did this past weekend to make sure everything still works as advertised. More to follow!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I really like your truck and I have a question about the window nets. We are building a Toyota Tacoma for class 7SX and we are confused about the SCORE rule for fastening the nets. Can you tell us where you had the nets made and how they are fastened to the door?

Thanks.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Twisted Stitch made the nets, I simply made a cardboard template of exactly what I wanted. I made the cut outs for pass thru windows on the templates and showed exactly where I wanted each snap. Ours are snap on style. The button is secured to the door with self tapping sheet metal screws. The inner door jam needed a little love with a hammer to dent it in where each button went so that the door would close right. Not on every single one but on quite a few of them.

Our doors open still, if yours don't open I wouldn't mount them with the snaps, I'd do a rod setup...

BTW, we bought and I mounted some of the larger strap style window nets. They were the universal rectangle shaped ones and we both hated them. Visibility was horrible and I hated what I came up with for mounting so I cut it all off, returned them and we went this route.

The nets kinda kicked our butt a little too. Isn't it funny how you build this whole badass race truck and then get down to the window nets and are like stumped on what to do? On the first version I had a rod attached to the lower portion of the window on the door and then a rod off the cage up above. Either way, it sucked!!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
I really like your truck and I have a question about the window nets. We are building a Toyota Tacoma for class 7SX and we are confused about the SCORE rule for fastening the nets. Can you tell us where you had the nets made and how they are fastened to the door?

Thanks.
The Twisted Stich nets are awesome in my opinion. Snapping to the door was the way to go. Made it so much easier to get in out and out of the truck, etc. Also, they turned them for us in like two days which was awesome. Worth the email or phone call to them for sure.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks a lot guys.

I will give them a call, We called Kartek but did not gave us to many options they recommend the bar with the buckle seat and I remember seeing something simpler and better for a stock door, yours looks great.

I will built the cardboard patterns, our truck is a double cab, so I hope they can build them for us for a good price.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
Not much to update really, the truck is just patiently waiting for it's next chance to put in work. Still have a lot of video to knock out even though it won't be as interesting 4 months after the fact. But until I can get back in the truck the videos will have to hold me over....

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
OK so finally settled in here in London and able to get back to truck business. At this point there isn't much "build" left, now it's more of a "use" thread. Anyway, finally got around to throwing together some of the footage from our race back in January. We had a great time racing with HDRA and they made things very easy for newcomers like us. We had some operator error with two of or three ReplayXD cameras but they work great and we'll have better stuff next time for sure.

Anyway, nice after all this time to have a little something to show for all the hard work Khris put in. Can't wait to beat on it again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPc4YxAQMqs

·
Registered
408 Posts
The truck has been getting a little bit of attention again lately. We're switching from the allpro pack over to a deaver pack. Nothing wrong with the allpro performance wise but the support and parts availability for something that gets the use this truck does that's an important feature for us.

So it's seeing some leaf spring love...

whoopsie!!!

Old and new...

Along with the leaf springs, I'm using this chance to build some new shackles. We had been running the 12" total chaos shackles and while I have nothing bad to say about TC and am in fact friends with the owners they just had some issues that I wanted to address in building my own set. Shackles are just shackles right? Well for us on this truck with my setup, we needed something a bit different.

After the race, I had time to make a change to the rear. I actually added a set of bump cans to the rear and built a poly bumpstop that slid into the can. I figured for future hydro bumps the work was done and it would be easy to slide some into. Well, during testing I ran into some issues. Basically, when the bushings are all fresh and great all is good in the world. When they get complete trashed the rear end is able to move around enough that it slashes a tire sidewall on the bumpstop can pinch bolt. Whoopsie again!!! That's what testing is for though right? So along with this rear end stuff I'll be cutting off the cans and remounting them so in an extreme situation like that the tire will just have a flat surface to rub against rather then the pinch bolts and not shred a sidewall. At least I hope... LOL

As of right now, we're leaning towards bringing the truck out for some real fun again at the HDRA race the end of Sept. It'll be in the dirt for testing again later this month or early August and if Jason can make it work on his end to get stateside that's the next race we're shooting for.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
Getting ourselves ready for the HDRA Mirage 200 in just about a month. The truck has had some moderate changes done to it since we raced in January but everything seems to be in working order.

We've added Tough-Light LED Lighting as a sponsor and we're very happy to be working with Javier and his company. As a budget race team we appreciate the balance between cost and performance and we believe Tough-Light has the perfect mix. And they've got great customer service as icing on the cake. The 50" Pro Series light bar will be leading the way through the darkness as the HDRA race is an evening to night kind of race.

We're working on a few exciting things and can't wait for the chance to get back to Vegas to go racing again. If you're in or around Vegas at the end of September, come out and see us!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #333
Has been a while since we've updated this so here goes. We were super disappointed that the HDRA race in September was cancelled. We were fortunately able to still take the truck out in October to support SNORE's Make a Wish run which was super.

In addition, a while back we had the chance to tell a bit of our story to the folks at Off Road Magazine. The result is this month's cover story for the February 2014 edition. You can check out the whole story here:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1402-2004-toyota-tacoma-prerunner-time-flies/

Huge thanks to Khris for all his hard work in building and maintaining the truck. Thanks also to Serena and the staff at SDHQ, Matt at MCM Fab, Best Muffler and Adam's Driveline in Vegas, Javier and Tough Light, Fiberwerx, and Warrior Wraps.

Hope to have the truck back out for a little action in spring 2014.

321 - 340 of 353 Posts
About this Discussion
352 Replies
37 Participants
sirhk100
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing