TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the block and AAL that comes with the 6" Fabtech lift on my '03 D-cab. I also have a pair of Explorer Pro-comp traction bars. I'll be replacing the blocks and AAL with a new leaf pack. When I do I won't need traction bars but I may just may just throw them back on because they were expensive. Will this type of traction bar have any bad effects on the new leafs? I thought I read something about this either n this forum or another but can't seem to find the thread to verify.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
They won't be a problem as long as they have a pivot engineered into the front mount. This allows the spring to travel rearwards during cycling of the suspension. It also takes the buck board ride out of the back suspension when using a traction bar.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say "pivot" does rotating around a bushing count or do you mean something like a heim joint?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
No, I mean a fully articulated front joint. It should have 2 pivots at the front to allow the bar to move back with the spring. Look at Budbuilts t-bar and you will see what I am referring to. Anything but this will bind during flex and articulation. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
mojavegold said:
Anything but this will bind during flex and articulation.
You sure about that? I've seen quite a few that are a slip and twist type and they don't have a shackle, yet they don't limit the articulation or bind.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Wgasa84 said:
You sure about that? I've seen quite a few that are a slip and twist type and they don't have a shackle, yet they don't limit the articulation or bind.
The only other t-bar that does not bind is the one that uses a slot in the front bracket to allow the bar to move backwards with the spring. As the spring compresses it gets longer, that is the function of the shackle. That is why the cheaper bars make the back suspension so hard, they don't let the spring or diff move. Maybe that is the bar that you are thinking about. No insult intended, just MHO. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My bars definitely don't have either of those types of pivots. should prolly just leave them off then.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I'm going to go with a slip and twist traction bar. (3) 3/4 Heims, and some very heavy duty tube for the male end; 1.5" .500" wall and 1.75" .250" wall for the rest. Shouldn't ever have a problem with it. I'll put a couple zerks on the female end for lube. Maybe cut a couple lines in the male end for lube passages.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Great post Wgas84! Cool pics also. Using that size/wall thickness tubing should never give you any trouble. Why not just fab an articulating link and do away with the tube in a tube design? It would make less noise when driving on the street and wear would not be an issue. You could also get away with using 5/8 heims which would be cheaper. Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
mauitaco said:
My bars definitely don't have either of those types of pivots. should prolly just leave them off then.
Mauii: Just have a shop fab you up a link and re-use those bad boys. All you need is one, if it is built correctly. Good luck and just my :2cents: :)

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Have a picture of the articulating link design? I'm having a problem picturing it... damn finals week!

It's basically going to come out to what is strongest, and the least likely to have issues down the road. I really need bullet proof parts in my 85, I tend to break every trip anymore and I'm getting tired of that!

Noise on the street?
Not a problem in this thing:

I drive it probably 1000 miles max a year. Most the driving is offroad. Once I get a trailer... I doubt it will see much street time...

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Wgasa84 said:
Have a picture of the articulating link design? I'm having a problem picturing it... damn finals week!
like the one you made me :welder:

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
drabnor said:
like the one you made me :welder:
Oh.. lol :banghead: The fancy term had me all :confused:

Thanks for xsplanin it to me RJ! Deee dee de! With the down fall of yours (sorry man!!!!) I'm pulling out all the stops and just building one you, Dan or I can't break without causing major destruction to the rest of the rig.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Wgasa84 said:
Oh.. lol :banghead: The fancy term had me all :confused:

Thanks for xsplanin it to me RJ! Deee dee de! With the down fall of yours (sorry man!!!!) I'm pulling out all the stops and just building one you, Dan or I can't break without causing major destruction to the rest of the rig.
it wouldve been fine if we used heims instead of the bushings, and its still hanging on by the bolts just fine.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
drabnor said:
it wouldve been fine if we used heims instead of the bushings, and its still hanging on by the bolts just fine.
Yeah... stupid bushings! Thats why I'm going straight to heims and very heavy duty tube. If I bend .500 wall... well yeah, I deserve an award.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Wgas: I guess that question got answered. BTW, nice trail rig!! Regarding breaking every time you go out. I used to break stuff until I went to 1 ton, so I understand the over kill approach. Rock on.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Damnit where were you at a couple months ago- Everybody said you had to have that shackle doohickey back there and I kept thinking it would be just as easy to make it slip like that... good thing I didn't build the doohickey yet :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts