TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some recent changes were just made public yesterday at an Adopt-a-trail meeting for the SBNF. Here are the details:

Some changes have been made as a result of the public comments to the Route Designation proposal. Greg Hoffman (Adopt-a-trail coordinator) said that the Sugarloaf Mountain trail is no longer proposed for closure. He also said that once an area is zoned as proposed wilderness, motorized access is prohibited, even if the wilderness designation is not final, and the Route Designation process has nothing to do with it, therefore, Pontiac Sluice and the Gold Mountain talus slope (3N69A) are already off-limits to motorized vehicles. Also, John Bull may be redesiganted at street legal only trail. That would leave ZERO green sticker trails between Big Pine Flat and Cactus Flat.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Some recent changes were just made public yesterday at an Adopt-a-trail meeting for the SBNF. Here are the details:

Some changes have been made as a result of the public comments to the Route Designation proposal. Greg Hoffman (Adopt-a-trail coordinator) said that the Sugarloaf Mountain trail is no longer proposed for closure. He also said that once an area is zoned as proposed wilderness, motorized access is prohibited, even if the wilderness designation is not final, and the Route Designation process has nothing to do with it, therefore, Pontiac Sluice and the Gold Mountain talus slope (3N69A) are already off-limits to motorized vehicles. Also, John Bull may be redesiganted at street legal only trail. That would leave ZERO green sticker trails between Big Pine Flat and Cactus Flat.

:mad: Gold Mtn closed?!?! :xcrybaby: That really sucks!

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:mad: Gold Mtn closed?!?! :xcrybaby: That really sucks!
Not the whole trail. Just the side trail 3N69A that crosses the rock bed about halfway up the trail. The rest of the trail is open. I'm just bummed because that section was the most fun on that trail. Now the trail is much less appealing to me to run.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Not the whole trail. Just the side trail 3N69A that crosses the rock bed about halfway up the trail. The rest of the trail is open. I'm just bummed because that section was the most fun on that trail. Now the trail is much less appealing to me to run.
Well I think that is everyones favorite part. They should have left that part open and closed the "bypass" section. :)

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
Damn, that is not good news. With all the pollution, bark beetle, old mining, lumbering and such, neither the Pontiac Sluice of the rock garden at the end of Gold Mtn. are pristine wilderness, nor shall they ever be.

So, then who is going to go up Pontiac? Backpackers now? Never saw one up that way.

Can you point us toward a SBNF document that delineates what is open and closed?

·
Registered
967 Posts
SOOOOOOOO, what was the environmental impact on the rock garden anyway?

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
SOOOOOOOO, what was the environmental impact on the rock garden anyway?
The 'quarts horned snowy plover milk vetch toad' uses the area to mate in late winter when the rocks won’t scuff their little private parts. They slither on the snow above the rocks.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you point us toward a SBNF document that delineates what is open and closed?
Sorry, the verbal announcement yesterday seems to come before any formal announcement by the forest service. I only posted it because the information comes from a reliable source and I wanted to spread the word.

Here is a link to the original request for public comment back in Feb 2007:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/documents/route_designation_open_houses_07Feb2007.pdf

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Also, John Bull may be redesiganted at street legal only trail. That would leave ZERO green sticker trails between Big Pine Flat and Cactus Flat.
that really sucks if that goes though. there would be no way to get around on a bike anymore

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
Sorry, the verbal announcement yesterday seems to come before any formal announcement by the forest service. I only posted it because the information comes from a reliable source and I wanted to spread the word.

Here is a link to the original request for public comment back in Feb 2007:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/documents/route_designation_open_houses_07Feb2007.pdf
Yeah, it goes back even further. I posted about it last May. Not many folks seemed to care then.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36361

Might be too late now!

Are these the new maps?

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/projects/ohv_map.shtml

I started to look at them (for the tow areas - near Gold Mtn. and Onyx)and got confused.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
967 Posts

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
Those are the proposed maps, and the designations for Gold and John Bull seem to be on there.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/projects/maps/Big_Bear_City.pdf
That does not even show 3N69A with a brown "Decommision" highlight. It just is not there as far as I can see!

Many of the other maps have brown trails, even over to the west. While they seem to offically desginate the harder bypasses on parts of Cleghorn.

And, even like 3N16, the Holcomb Freeway, is not Green Sticker? I didn't know that.

Or I am reading the maps all worng.

·
Registered
967 Posts
That does not even show 3N69A with a brown "Decommision" highlight. It just is not there as far as I can see!

Many of the other maps have brown trails, even over to the west. While they seem to offically desginate the harder bypasses on parts of Cleghorn.

And, even like 3N16, the Holcomb Freeway, is not Green Sticker? I didn't know that.

Or I am reading the maps all worng.
Don't feel bad...I am confused as well. Obviously not a very detailed map.

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
Don't feel bad...I am confused as well. Obviously not a very detailed map.
I'll have to sit down with my maps and look that these.

I can see where they cut access to one of my "spots" if I read them right and that is going to suck.

With the fire danger proll'y being beyond high this summer, SBNF is going to be in real danger anyway. That'll maybe close more stuff than even this stuff is going to do.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I'll have to sit down with my maps and look that these.

I can see where they cut access to one of my "spots" if I read them right and that is going to suck.

With the fire danger proll'y being beyond high this summer, SBNF is going to be in real danger anyway. That'll maybe close more stuff than even this stuff is going to do.
Hopefully any closures due to fire danger are only temporary. Unfortunately there are many irresponsible a-holes out there.

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
Hopefully any closures due to fire danger are only temporary. Unfortunately there are many irresponsible a-holes out there.
Temporary = years and years normally for burn areas.

With things dry like the are, some crazy'll have his big day.

For 2007, that is my guess on the biggest access issue, followed by the degination process.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts