TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trail-Gear's Tacoma In Cab Roll Cage

Trail Gear's New Racing Development Department has started working on an in cab roll cage design. Right now we are working on the design and prototype. Check it out!

Before

In Progress

Clears Factory Seat Belts. There will be another flange on the bottom of the truck attaching the cage to the frame.

The Cross bar is at a perfect Height for Harness Mounting!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More Updates! I changed the driver side bar to tuck it in closer to the body and made the passenger side to match. You still have full access to the rear view mirror, dome light switch and bulb.

Today I will be making some changes to the mounting points on the rear half to match the front and moving the top two support bars to make them connect right above the vertical bar.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any future plans for an ext. cab cage that would still allow the rear jump seats to be utilized? Just a thought.
I was looking at an extra cab yesterday and trying to figure out how to get the cage designed to still allow the use of the back seats. It looked like it would be a little hard to do but i would like to try and design it that way when we build the prototype.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Excellent. I have seen quality cages built in them before, but pretty much completely loses easy access to the rear. Hard enough to "store" anything, or especially get to it, and forget about bringing your kids along. Lol.

·
Registered
587 Posts
YES! Thanks for designing/building an in-cab cage specifically for our Tacomas. I'll ask one question & offer one constructive criticism;
Q: Is that as high as you can tuck the rear header bar to the roof? It's hard to tell w/the aftermarket seats, but it looks low.

CC: would you consider lowering the rear hoop tie-in bar to fit tightly right above the factory sheetmetal cab brace? It seems it could free up an inch or two of clearance for the seatback to get closer to the bottom edge of the rear window for us taller drivers.

I really need some rollover protection since my 6 yr. old son is always w/me (he's my co-pilot) & my wife would be put more at ease. I would love to know your estimated price as soon as you've decided on it. Also, what material did you use? I'd assume it's DOM with .0120" wall thickness? Please keep us posted on progress & release date.
Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
YES! Thanks for designing/building an in-cab cage specifically for our Tacomas. I'll ask one question & offer one constructive criticism;
Q: Is that as high as you can tuck the rear header bar to the roof? It's hard to tell w/the aftermarket seats, but it looks low. It is pretty high up there. I used the padding as a spacer

CC: would you consider lowering the rear hoop tie-in bar to fit tightly right above the factory sheetmetal cab brace? It seems it could free up an inch or two of clearance for the seatback to get closer to the bottom edge of the rear window for us taller drivers. That is something that could be done. Chose to mount it there because that is where it needs to be to correctly mount the shoulder straps.
:welder:

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
any thoughts to widening or putting bent tubing in for the rear supports for better window access. I open and shut my rear window every time I drive and that looks like it would get in the way. :2cents: otherwise looks good!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts