TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are most of you packing for trail spares? as of now all i have are a few belts steering ends brifeilds and some fluids

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Birfs and shafts,steering arm studs, trenion bearings that will now go to my buddy's, ujoints, hose for coolant and powersteering fluid, oil, gear oil, coolant tie rod ends. Still working on my collection.

·
#1 cruiser
3,660 Posts
Depends on the run for me. My every run list is clutch, radiator fluid oil 4 spare ujoints tools spare tire hi lift hubs. If im taking on big trails I have spare axles another dshaft gearoil. Thats all I got for now.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
You bring a clutch on every run? Geeze...

I pretty much disassembled a stock front axle and threw it in a box with the exception of the 3rd member and the housing. And this is generally what I take with me in addition to some fluids. It's also good to have duct tape, electrical tape, some electrical splices, RTV sealant and bailing wire. And I take nearly every hand tool I own... So far so good on getting crap done.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Duck tape and bailing wire as QuickDraw said - FTW!

And all of this kind of depends on what trails you run I suppose...

·
7,735 Posts
What I carry in my tool box at all times:
2 hub lockouts
knuckles for each side
steering arms for each side
3 tie rod ends (1 LH thread, 1 RH thread, 1 more I don't remember which thread)
knuckle studs, nuts, washers
hub studs, nuts, washers, etc
trunion bearings
wheel bearings
set of Shackle plates
stock front inner axles
2 stock birfs
2 ujoints
wheel studs
a couple of lug nuts
misc bolts/nuts
rear drive shaft
belts

Still need to get a pitman arm, rear axle shaft, brake line and unions

Electrical:
2 relays
bunch of butt connectors
fuses (including the high amp ones)
spool of wire
solder
butane soldering iron
shrink tube
multi-meter

Fluids:
can of grease
4 quarts of 75/90
2 pints of brake fluid
1 quart ATF
Ultra black RTV
JB Weld
locktite
I'd carry oil if I had the room.

Tools:
Every tool I've used to work on the truck (except air tools and torque wrench)
duct tape
bailing wire

bunch of recovery stuff

When I go on overnight trips or out of state:
rear diff
steering box

·
7,735 Posts
I think a ready welder (or the like) and some OBA and I could fix about anything. I also need to add some t-case internals, but need to research some more to figure out what commonly breaks (output shaft, etc).

to steel Warn's slogan: Go prepared. If you're going to wheel, expect to break shit, be ready to fix it.

Since I don't trailer and I like to run the big stuff, I HAVE to drive home and try to make sure I have everything I need to at least limp home.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Depends on the run for me. My every run list is clutch, radiator fluid oil 4 spare ujoints tools spare tire hi lift hubs. If im taking on big trails I have spare axles another dshaft gearoil. Thats all I got for now.
Piston rings, rocker arm (Just kidding) :D
Rear drive shaft, ujoints, brake fluid, power steering fluid, hub, and after Moab, underwear.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
I basically carry every tool ive ever used to work on the truck plus things like a shovel, ax, recovery gear, hi lift, spare tire, MREs, water, a blanket, tarp, and lights, lots of flashlights headlamps ect. list of spares, parts ect:

3 hub lockouts
spindles (when I have them)
2 tie rod ends
lower spindle bolts
hub studs, nuts, washers
3 CV axles
a couple of lug nuts
misc bolts/nuts
rear drive shaft
a few spare switches
bunch of butt connectors
fuses (all amperages)
3 spools of wire
shrink tube
multi-meter
grease gun
3 quarts of gear oil
pint of brake fluid
Ultra black RTV
JB Weld
locktite
5 qts of oil

That about sums up my list. sometimes I have more/less spares as they get used.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmm.. looks like i have a decent amount of collecting to do hah...

anyone weigh there truck with all the trail equipment in it?

anyone with a 4runner have pics of how they have all the stuff orginized? i find myself haveing little to no room with the 4runner.. the k5 was much much better in this department

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
never weighed my truck before n after to see the weight difference but I know its gotta be a couple hundred pounds. just the spare parts and tools alone are a lot of weight. then fluids arent weightless either.

·
Registered
438 Posts
anyone with a 4runner have pics of how they have all the stuff orginized? i find myself haveing little to no room with the 4runner.. the k5 was much much better in this department
Don't have pics at the moment but I've got a Rumbermaid container that stores most of my parts and tools that I strap into the center behind the rear seat. My spare CV, tire iron (one of the big X-style ones), and recovery strap and shackles just hang out loose behind the front seats. Of course at this point most of my "parts" are just fluids, duct tape, bailing wire and grease. Oh, and I have a bottle jack that stays behind the passenger side panel in the back (that plastic door), and I lashed my shovel on the roll bar. I haven't accumulates extra steering, suspension and drive train parts most of the others have mentioned.

I've been considering constructing some custom boxes that will bolt to the floor in the back to hold tools and are big enough for things like CV's, but haven't figured out exactly how to build them so I still have room for camping gear and whether to build them out of wood or metal.

·
20,355 Posts
My actual list:

All tools I use to work on the truck
Cv axles up to 5
Lockouts
Inner and outter tre,s
Upper and lower ball joints
Driveshaft
Motor oil
Gear oil
Brake fluid
Coolant
Brake line
Brake line unions
Water
Bailing wire
Duct tape

When I am on longer trips I keep a steering rack end to end at camp as well as spindles.

·
20,355 Posts
Before my last mod(wheelbase chop and spring french). My 99 taco weighed 4400lbs in wheeling trim.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts