TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a new Prodigy brake controller and 7 pin harness for my 04 Tacoma.

The harness had a plug that plugged into my factory 4 plug and then had 3 other wires. 1 aux that I didn't use, 1 wire for the trailer brakes and 1 for 12V+.

The wiring is PERFECT. I've double, triple and quadruple checked it.

With my Prodigy brake controller plugged in I get an N.C. message(not connected).

What I've noticed is that as soon as I give +12V to the connector, the brakes lock up immediately. The trailer is BRAND NEW and was just delivered 800 miles.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I recently installed a new Prodigy brake controller and 7 pin harness for my 04 Tacoma.

The harness had a plug that plugged into my factory 4 plug and then had 3 other wires. 1 aux that I didn't use, 1 wire for the trailer brakes and 1 for 12V+.

The wiring is PERFECT. I've double, triple and quadruple checked it.

With my Prodigy brake controller plugged in I get an N.C. message(not connected).

What I've noticed is that as soon as I give +12V to the connector, the brakes lock up immediately. The trailer is BRAND NEW and was just delivered 800 miles.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jason
Wrong area!
:xpopcorn: :xbeer3: Now let the fun begin.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes I know...wrong forum. Big whoop. It's still an 04 and I figure since I this forum gets twice the traffic it would help solve the problem faster.

But I guess helping people can't be done if it's one click in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
This is more general than specific. The electical forum is the area you want. They are the experts there. If you post general for a spacific problem with it's own forum, then expect sh!t for it. That's how forums work. If your feelings are hurt, then post in neebie and your safe! You've been around long enough to know this.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts

Any ideas?
so if you apply 12V to the +12V on the connector pin, and the trailer brakes lock up... ... ... well you do the math... somebody didn't wire something the right way.... When you oriented yourself to your connector (truck side) were you locating pins from the front side of the connector, or the back side?

this view:

is from the back of the connector...ie: the side of the truck connector facing towards the front of the truck.

Blue on bottom is brakes... Black on top is +12V

Orientation so you can get really confused: 5-Red is Left and is on the left side of the connector when installed and looking at it from the back of the truck; similarly 6-Brown is right, and is on the right side of the connector looking from the trailer perspective

Good luck!

P.S. all the information you ever wanted to know:

google: 7-pin trailer connector

or just click:

http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts