TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunetly we don't have a section for towing or trailers.. I talked to a mod, and this was the best choice. Move it if you can come up with a better place.

I'm tired of Flat Towing my 85' and now that I have a rig that can actually tow worth a damn, I am starting to research trailers.

I've talked to a couple people who have Carson trailers, and they are in the right price range.... I can deal with poor trailer lights/wiring. That stuff is easy. I just want a trailer that is stable, and can haul anything I need.
I have heard nothing bad about BigTex trailers, but they are more expensive.

I will probably be towing no more than 10 times a year, probably less.

I have been looking at car haulers and equipment trailers, the car haulers are cheaper and don't hold the same weight. The equipment trailers 10K's would be the biggest I would need. The tundra only tows 10600 lbs. I can't imagine myself hauling a rig that weighs 8K... but I guess It can happen. The most I can see myself hauling is 6K. I like having a buffer from the max capacity.

I want a trailer that has a full wood deck and slide in ramps, and 83" ? between the fenders.

What are good brands? Besides Carson and BigTex that are in a reasonable price range.

Any hints when looking at trailer specs, prices, etc?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
102" is max legal... subtract a couple of 10" (?) fenders, and you end up around 82" or closer to 80"....

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I have a Lone Wolf trailer I just bought. 16ft car hauler, 83" between fenders. Wood deck and slide in ramps. I got a folding jack and full spare added, cost me 1720 brand new. I went with it instead of big tex because of price. Its rated at 7000lbs and weighs 1500 lbs. They had bigger trailers though, this is all I needed.

I can get some pics tomorrow if you want.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mossyrocks said:
I have a Lone Wolf trailer I just bought. 16ft car hauler, 83" between fenders. Wood deck and slide in ramps. I got a folding jack and full spare added, cost me 1720 brand new. I went with it instead of big tex because of price. Its rated at 7000lbs and weighs 1500 lbs. They had bigger trailers though, this is all I needed.

I can get some pics tomorrow if you want.
How does it tow?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
tows great. Good and smooth, not too bouncy, not too stiff, brakes work nicely.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Chris-

Look at used ones my friend. Places like race-dezert, glamis dunes forum and others have car trailers for sale all the time. I'm in the market too, but the Bix Tex one I wan't is 3Gs!!!

Tim

Edit: Here is a PJ trailer that I was looking at. I have to wait a bit until we sell out motorhome.

PJ Trailer on Glamis Dunes

·
Registered
27 Posts
i see a LOT of big tex trailers around the race tracks and stuff and they seem really well built, but they are also $$ as you know already.

im looking for a used open car hauler also around DFW texas, hard to find good deals cause new ones are usaully the same price as used :(

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
im assuming your searching for a flat bed. you should definetly look into ones that have the tube/pipe top rail/frame. its alot more sturdy and strong than the angle iron shit. too bad you didnt post this a couple weeks sooner my uncle just sold a nice 16 footer for cheap

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have an 18' dovetailed Apple car hauler. It is rated at 7000# GVWR and I regularly have about 5000# on it. The trailer weight in around 1500#. Tandem axle with electric brakes. Tows straight and unless driving on crappy roads I don't even know it's behind me.

Suggestions:
- Get ramps that come out from the back of the trailer. Ramps that come off the sides don't work when someone is parked next to you.
- Make sure that at least the upper frame is rectangular tube for strength.
- My trailer is dovetailed in the back and it makes it nice to drive my truck on w/o using the ramps. However, it does hang lower and hits the ground occasionally on driveways.
- Fenders. Make sure your fenders are strong or they will get destroyed quick from wheels going over them.
- Shop around. Craigslist is your friend. I looked at Carson, JP and BigTex. However, I ended up buying a used trailer for a substantial amount less than buying new.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Timbuddha said:
Chris-

Look at used ones my friend. Places like race-dezert, glamis dunes forum and others have car trailers for sale all the time. I'm in the market too, but the Bix Tex one I wan't is 3Gs!!!

Tim

Edit: Here is a PJ trailer that I was looking at. I have to wait a bit until we sell out motorhome.

PJ Trailer on Glamis Dunes
Thanks Tim. I priced a Carson 10K equipment trailer and right now they have a sale going. ~$2300. The guy quoted me $400 for 4 binders and 4 chains.... Still researching though!

I'll start watching those forums too. :eek: That's around 6 forums for me to remember to watch!

EDIT... I didn't read the add right.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
badmoonrising said:
im assuming your searching for a flat bed. you should definetly look into ones that have the tube/pipe top rail/frame. its alot more sturdy and strong than the angle iron shit. too bad you didnt post this a couple weeks sooner my uncle just sold a nice 16 footer for cheap
I'm looking at those too! Thanks

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sbechtold said:
I have an 18' dovetailed Apple car hauler. It is rated at 7000# GVWR and I regularly have about 5000# on it. The trailer weight in around 1500#. Tandem axle with electric brakes. Tows straight and unless driving on crappy roads I don't even know it's behind me.

Suggestions:
- Get ramps that come out from the back of the trailer. Ramps that come off the sides don't work when someone is parked next to you.
- Make sure that at least the upper frame is rectangular tube for strength.
- My trailer is dovetailed in the back and it makes it nice to drive my truck on w/o using the ramps. However, it does hang lower and hits the ground occasionally on driveways.
- Fenders. Make sure your fenders are strong or they will get destroyed quick from wheels going over them.
- Shop around. Craigslist is your friend. I looked at Carson, JP and BigTex. However, I ended up buying a used trailer for a substantial amount less than buying new.
Thanks for the info. I'm not to worried about the fenders if they are not drive overs. I can aways make strong fenders for cheap. I'll look at craigslist too!

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I have a 16ft TexasBragg flat deck trailer that is rated to 8k and weighs in at 1570lbs. It's a 16ft with a 60/40 split so it rides like a 18 ft dovetail. Tows awesome and the Tundra pulls it like a champ with my heavy ass 4Runner. Mine was 1800 out the door.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ATLRoach said:
I have a 16ft TexasBragg flat deck trailer that is rated to 8k and weighs in at 1570lbs. It's a 16ft with a 60/40 split so it rides like a 18 ft dovetail. Tows awesome and the Tundra pulls it like a champ with my heavy ass 4Runner. Mine was 1800 out the door.
Thanks for the info Kyle, I'm just doing some preliminary research and pricing.
I need to find a place to rent that doesn't mind a trailer. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Soo . . . did you buy one yet??

Any good deals out there? I'm cautiously optimistic that I will be able to pick one up here soon. :)

Tim

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Soo . . . did you buy one yet??

Any good deals out there? I'm cautiously optimistic that I will be able to pick one up here soon. :)

Tim
Just as I found some deals... the Apartment complex says... "Yeah... um... you can't keep a trailer here."

Sonsofbitches!

I found what I think is a decent deal on a 16ft Carson Equip. Hauler 10K with slide in ramps for ~$2300. They want $400 for 4 chains and 4 binders, which is about double what I have seen online. Ebay seems to have good prices on this stuff and from what I can tell they are still brand name products at 1/2 the price.

I'm out of a trailer till at least August when my lease is up and I can hopefully find another place that allows a trailer, or rent a house!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts