TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does everyone drive there Toyota to and from the trails or do some of you tow them to the trail head (Trailer Queens) ?

I did a search because I wanted to see if there was a thread with picks of guys haulin' rigs.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Most of the guys I know around here trailer their rigs. Me personally, I drive mine to and from the trails. Mostly cause I can't afford a tow rig nor do I have much space for a car type trailer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well for those that do tow, how about a thread for some pics of your hauler? Feel free to post them here, unless there is a better forum.

or if your embraced how about just year make and model and any tow related upgrades (power, braking, suspension, you know)

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I drive, wish i didn't

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Well for those that do tow, how about a thread for some pics of your hauler? Feel free to post them here, unless there is a better forum
Check over on pirate4x4 in the tow rig section

·
<null>
1,805 Posts
I tow. I find I can push the vehicle harder and relax more if I don't have to drive it home. The 3 hour drive home from the offroad park is much more relaxing when you don't have to worry about a trail fix to get you home.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
I used to DD my old Taco and I always said I didn't want a trailer queen. But now that I have one its great. Like CournesTRD said it nice to know you can beat on the trail truck as much as you want and not have to worry about getting home or to work Monday morning. The other nice thing is the tow rig stays clean for the most part.

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
It all depends on how big your truck is built (if its street legal) and if you wheel hard enough to break a lot of shit every time your out.

I drive mine to and from the trail. Its street legal. I don't push it as hard as a lot of guys.
I don't see a reason to tow my truck right now.
Not to mention, I don't have the means to buy a tow rig.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I usually tow mine for a few reasons.
- My tow rig gets better gas mileage towing than the taco gets just driving.
- I can bring alot more tools, parts, and other stuff.
- Its nice to not have to worry about how you are going to get your truck home when you are about to say "hey watch this". Half the time someone else drives my truck and I tow there broken junk home.

I just us a dual axle landscaping trailer that has some bracing added.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I usually drive to the local offroad park, as it's like 45min away, and if need be I can hitch a ride home and snag the chevy and trailer to bring it back home. But if i'm headed farther away I like trailering in case of some catastrophic failure that leaves the rig stranded.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I use to drive mine too and from my house to the park I go to. Even though that was only an hour drive each way I ALWAYS had the thought in the back of my mind while wheeling, "What if..."

Now I trailer it and wish I started towing it a lot sooner. No more worrying about breaking and not being able to get home. No more dealing with death wobble every other trip. Best of all, on a hot summer day, I get to sit in my tow rig with the windows up and the AC blasted.

Here's a shot of my tow rig and trailer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I usually tow mine for a few reasons.
- My tow rig gets better gas mileage towing than the taco gets just driving.
- I can bring alot more tools, parts, and other stuff.
- Its nice to not have to worry about how you are going to get your truck home when you are about to say "hey watch this". Half the time someone else drives my truck and I tow there broken junk home.

I just us a dual axle landscaping trailer that has some bracing added.
What do you pull the trailer with?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rodge, that looks like a pretty good set up. You could still wheel your 4 door taco if that little black beast of your goes down.

What did that trailer cost you, does it have brakes? What kind of milage do you get from the tacoma when its pulling?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I used to drive to and from the trail but as the trail truck got bigger and I challenged myself on harder obstacles I felt more secure in the fact that I didn't have to worry about the trail truck getting me home at the end of the day.

I got a 2009 Chevy Silverado Duramax crew cab as my tow rig.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I tow. I find I can push the vehicle harder and relax more if I don't have to drive it home. The 3 hour drive home from the offroad park is much more relaxing when you don't have to worry about a trail fix to get you home.
X2
This is the only reason that I started to trailer mine!! I always thought that was part of the "adventure"...drive it, air down, wheel it, air up, and drive home(usually with a new vibration)!!!

·
Registered
615 Posts
X2
I always thought that was part of the "adventure"...drive it, air down, wheel it, air up, and drive home(usually with a new vibration)!!!
It 'WAS' fun when I was 25. Now I'm 38 years old and that isn't quite as fun anymore. :eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am actually on the market for a new cargo trailer. My son just decided he wanted to start a landscaping business here in Indianapolis and I'm going to hook him up with one for his birthday. Nowhere in my area sells them, so I'm starting to check things out online. Can someone suggest a website? The only one I know of is trailersplus and I would like to have some options. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts