TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure whether this is off topic or tech so I put it here, a mod can move it if they feel it's off topic

Looking into trailering my tacoma for piece of mind on runs that are more than a few hours away. Most of the trailers I'm looking at have stake pockets around the sides to use as tie-down points.

On the truck are there any really good tie-down points that are recommended and what all do I need? Pics would be super

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
yea, I looked at that yesterday, was thinking one strap to the transport hook, one to the tow hook, then either use the axle, hitch or both in the rear. just want to make sure I'm going about it properly
I use these straps http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=92
They're kinda pricey, but well worth it IMO.

For the back I looped the protected area of the strap around the slots, then through the ratchet. Then loop the other "sleeved" area of the strap around the axle and hook them together. The truck's not on the trailer, but you get the idea.

For the front, I loop the "sleeved" part around the slot, through the ratchet, then hook the end of the ratchet to my D ring on the front of my bumper. Once again the truck is'nt on the trailer, but we can see how I do it.

I towed my rig hundreds (more like thousands by now) of miles with this set-up, with no issues. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
x2 Briansc. IMO Good way to do it.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I use a similar type of ratchet strap (as Briansc33). My trailer has "D" rings welded at each corner. I connect one end of the ratchet strap to the "D" ring and the other end I stick in one of the openings in the side of the frame. I have found that by using the frame holes I can compress the suspension on the vehicle which stops it from moving around so much. When you use an axle strap the suspension cycles and the vehicle moves around.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
When I've trailered my rig I tend to over do it...

Strap the rear axle with two axle straps. Strap the front down by the recovery points (don't worry... they are NEVER going anywhere.), then I do an X to the rear of the frame. I plan on adding two axle straps to the front when I get a trailer that can actually use them. I haven't had a strap come loose, the truck hardly moves on the trailer even over speed bumps and the roads to the trailhead/camp.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
When I've trailered my rig I tend to over do it...

Strap the rear axle with two axle straps. Strap the front down by the recovery points (don't worry... they are NEVER going anywhere.), then I do an X to the rear of the frame. I plan on adding two axle straps to the front when I get a trailer that can actually use them. I haven't had a strap come loose, the truck hardly moves on the trailer even over speed bumps and the roads to the trailhead/camp.

holy shit! look at the front of that thing! LOL

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I use a similar type of ratchet strap (as Briansc33). My trailer has "D" rings welded at each corner. I connect one end of the ratchet strap to the "D" ring and the other end I stick in one of the openings in the side of the frame. I have found that by using the frame holes I can compress the suspension on the vehicle which stops it from moving around so much. When you use an axle strap the suspension cycles and the vehicle moves around.
Agreed...To an extent... By having my front mounts a bit forward, and compressing my front suspension that keeps the front from moving. With the rear axle tied down (on both sides) pulling down, and back on the axle which will plant the tires firmly on the trailer, and providing resistance from moving back and forth, front to back as the straps will want to fight each other. It's pretty much a compromise, frame/body is held down in the front, axle in the rear, best of both...Just my opinion though...

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have trailered a lot and always used only axles... works good, but the truck sways (very soft suspension) and that even makes the trailer lean a bit. If you can do it, go to frame points like tow trucks do and then you will keep everything planted and weight centered.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
As long as you compress the suspension enough when using those bumper/tow hook location tie downs, otherwise the up and down cycling of the suspension can loosen the straps.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
holy shit! look at the front of that thing! LOL
It looks bad, but that is just the extra from the straps that are 20' long... I SHOULD cut them, but I keep thinking I'll need them long at sometime or another....

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Yup! Just check your junk every couple hundred miles and both set-ups will work just fine...
I agree! This is very important! I check whenever I stop. It takes two seconds to feel how tight the straps are and to check the hooks (if they are not the locking clasp type), I also check the temp of the rear tires of the tow rig, and the tires/hubs of the trailer for unusual heat.

Don't TRUST anyone except yourself to do the final check for your tie downs, this is your life, and EVERYONE else's while you are on the road, if the load comes loose... you are going for a ride.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I agree! This is very important! I check whenever I stop. It takes two seconds to feel how tight the straps are and to check the hooks (if they are not the locking clasp type), I also check the temp of the rear tires of the tow rig, and the tires/hubs of the trailer for unusual heat.

Don't TRUST anyone except yourself to do the final check for your tie downs, this is your life, and EVERYONE else's while you are on the road, if the load comes loose... you are going for a ride.
Don't forget tire pressure and lug nut tightness on the trailer before you even load the rig on it..

This has been a public service announcement :D

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
1st attempt

ok heres my first attemp. in the front it was easy enough, I used the transport hook & tow hook

the stake pocket, Is that right? if so, ever have any problems with the strap rubbing thru

not sure if I like this either, the hook rubbing the strap

On to the back, I couldn't figure out how exactly you strapped it using these style straps and also not hitting any of the e-brake or brake line crap, I could see possibly using a single long strap and going from the dri side rear corner of trailer, over the axle, around the diff, under on the pass side and to the pass rear of trailer but you would need to carefully place and protect the strap where it goes around the axle/diff:

So I tried going off the hitch in the rear which prob would work ok if my stake pockets were further back, I'm not sure if this will work, I think I need more angle:confused:

how bad did I screw up?

anyone got a better explanation of strapping the axle using these style straps? Or do I need a different/longer one and use the method I tried to explain above

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
So I tried going off the hitch in the rear which prob would work ok if my stake pockets were further back, I'm not sure if this will work, I think I need more angle:confused:
Remember the rear straps/connection is what keeps the truck on the trailer from going forward under hard braking/impacts/??? and in my opinion needs to be the strongest, and also at the steepest angle possible--this will put the load on the straps during decelleration faster, the way you have it, the truck has to go forward before it can start pulling on the strap-for forward motion. I have a similar trailer (beaver tail) and I pull from the rear corners using axle straps (short straps with kevlar sleeves to protect the strap from rubbing on things) and I pull to the outer corners. I put the axle straps around the axle inboard of the springs and under pull, they aren't actually touching any of the brake or abs lines (the strap force is on the top, bottom and front of the axletube). On the front, I do the same-hooking to the unsprung part of the suspension, but I am SAS, and it's easier to find a spot VS the IFS which I only had to strap once, and I don't remember where I hooked too, but I remember it not being quick. Another note of caution... your straps at either end should not rub on anything, the trailer frame, tires, axle tube, brake lines, etc... they will rub through the nylon over time and end up frayed or worse :eek: I think it's great that you're going through the exercise! Keep trying!

-Mark

1 - 20 of 26 Posts