TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth it? Im debating right now. I found a normal straight axle from a 85 and a rear from a 90 and i can either pick up the front and throw it in my truck OR i can buy a zuk and a rusted to hell 85 and swap everything in it. I like my truck but wish i didnt have to cut everything off it. It was my first rig ever and rather fix her then cut her up and beat on her. Im just worried it will never drive right again.

If i get a zuk i can put the locker from my truck in it and throw gears at both and just tow my flatbed with the truck and the zuk on the rear.....Tough call and i was anti Zuk tel tonight when we ran carnage with BJ's new rig and that thing with a spring over,spacers,32's,rear locker,6.5:1 case did everything i did and a few lines i couldnt.

I hate this cause i cant make up my f'n mind!

Then my buddy who went with me was telling me he has the welder and knows of a newer FI but still SAF chevy for $500 and we could gut it with the v8 and swap it all........

heres where the trail gear kit comes in. If i sas my truck i will be grabbing a full kit to do the Toy axle if its chevy stuff obviously i will be in need of fabbing stuff but it will be wider. Going straight axle id like to go bigger in the tire department and its time for new tires so im thinking 37-38's and gears obviously.

What would you do out of the above mentioned options?

·
Registered
381 Posts
id get the chevy, then swap it all to the yota, cant beet a small block yota. will you be swaping engine trans and t-case, I would if it is an auto, manual you will have problems w/clutch linkage. just my :2cents:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the trail gear (and some all pro) kit with an 85 axle and i have NO regrets. It was very easy to swap, and it drives better now than it ever did on ifs (as long as you dont mind a little body roll). It drives perfectly straight down the highway, and smooth as a caddy at 110+ MPH. ITS WORTH IT!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I've got the TG front and rear kit. I bought the SAS kit even though I have an 84 (comes with wheel spacers and brake rotors for $100). I've been happy with the kit and it flexes great. I've ran tons of tough trails in it (BV Carnage, Pritchett, Libertry) and it handles it just fine. The springs are very soft so DD'ing it might wear the springs out faster. Mine sits in the garage most of the time :D

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
TG kits work great. Get it. You cannot build it yourself for less than that.

Another vote for keeping it yota. I can't stand domestic shit being put into a perfectly good toyota. If you plan to hit mud, you can't beat the power of a domestic block, but seems you like to crawl, and all you need to crawl are gears. Little 4 banger + lots of gearing= sweet trail machine without broke parts.

Just a little aside, as I was writing this rant. I'm sure there are plenty on here who know MANY people who have done the chevota swap and been fine. Off the top of my head, I can think of 11 people that I know right now, mostly cruiser guys, who have chevy V8's. These are the ONLY people I know of personally who've done the swap. ZERO people in that group trouble-free operation. Most have severe overheating issues. Again, I'm sure there are plenty that work just fine.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
My 2 cents. Stay away from All Pro... I think marlin or TG makes better products. My All pro mechanichal components have mostly failed. Not the best steel was used by them at least in my SAS batch either...

All pro is ok for chill wheelers, but Russ, you like me are not a "chill" wheeler...

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
molly whats the "chill" wheeler?

Sounds good guys looks like i will be getting this 85front and will wind up getting matching springs for my rear. may be months for the swap kit but F it next summer i will have a built clean SAS'd 87 .

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
If you're going to stick with the Toyota front axle, buy the knuckle gussets and 30 spline Longfields. Don't try to wheel with stock birfields with larger tires. I would also recommend getting the dual ultimate crawler (dual t-cases with 4.7 gears in the rear case).

Like Son of Mayhem said, tires would be nice also :D

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
The knuckle gussets are MANDATORY. You can wait on the Longs until you break your stock Birfs (which WILL happen). For somebody that 'wheels as much as you do, Russ, I certainly wouldn't put stock Birfs back in...

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how much and best place for longs? anything else i need?

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
If you are gonna do the build... order the longs. It would SUCK to have to swap them out out on a trail... ;)

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Shaddup.. It's cuz we wheel all the damned time! :D

And it can suck if you are doing it for the first time and they don't fit the bell housing perfectly like mine didn't and you need a grinder to grind out a little of that bell hosing.... ON A TRAIL! ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Shaddup.. It's cuz we wheel all the damned time! :D

And it can suck if you are doing it for the first time and they don't fit the bell housing perfectly like mine didn't and you need a grinder to grind out a little of that bell hosing.... ON A TRAIL! ;)

Ah i thought you just meant swapping birfs not swapping in 30 splines. i too had to do some grinding to get mine just right, luckily some of the broken birfs from before had ground the inside bell down a little already :D

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Yeah see.. no reason for him to buy the bobby longs and wait for one to break only to have to do what we did (grind) while on the trail...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts