TTORA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend just installed a 6" trailmaster lift on my 97 tacoma Reg cab. I asked him to install the 2 inch spacer to level things out a bit. Well...the leveling did'nt work because my truck is 3inches higher in the front, not only that but my front wheels are cambering in(toe in). I went in to have it aligned and it is still the same. The camber toe in is'nt that bad but it is noticeable. If anyone has this type of problem or has a trailmaster lift, comments or tips would be usefull. thanks.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
My friend just installed a 6" trailmaster lift on my 97 tacoma Reg cab. I asked him to install the 2 inch spacer to level things out a bit. Well...the leveling did'nt work because my truck is 3inches higher in the front, not only that but my front wheels are cambering in(toe in). I went in to have it aligned and it is still the same. The camber toe in is'nt that bad but it is noticeable. If anyone has this type of problem or has a trailmaster lift, comments or tips would be usefull. thanks.

Uh...take out the spacers :rolleyes:

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
Camber is how perpendicular it is to the ground. Toe in is how parallel the two tires are to each other.

See link
http://www.familycar.com/Alignment.htm

Typically spacer lifts affect camber. Sometimes to the point where there is no correction for it. Did you get the specs from the alignment shop? Where they within spec? Did they say they couldn’t align it? If so did they tell you what it was they couldn't align?

What spacers did you add to level it off? Front spacers? If so why would you add 2" spacers to level off the truck if the end product resulted in a 3" higher up front? Or did you add block in the rear to try to lift the rear to the height of the front? Did your friend install it correctly? I am not familiar with the trailmaster lift, but I do know that most of those lifts add a combination of add-a-leaf, blocks, or shackles to get the rear up the required amount. Non-the-less all of that shouldn’t affect your alignment capabilities. I would double check the installation, or at least supply us more info to understand the problem better.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Man you really need to read up and get your shit together.

Also, sounds like the install was a hack job to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The spacers are supposed to level/lift the truck 2inches. Most trailmaster lifts that people run usually ride "ass high" by about 1.5"to2". Seeing this on my friends girlfriends truck I decided to install some spacers to level it out(in the front). The back was left with the original traimaster lift-block and add a leaf. Toyota says that camber is maxed out. I think I'll just remove the spacer, and the truck will come out level again. No biggie. thanks for the comments though. It helps to hear other point of views.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
The spacers are supposed to level/lift the truck 2inches. Most trailmaster lifts that people run usually ride "ass high" by about 1.5"to2". Seeing this on my friends girlfriends truck I decided to install some spacers to level it out(in the front). The back was left with the original traimaster lift-block and add a leaf. Toyota says that camber is maxed out. I think I'll just remove the spacer, and the truck will come out level again. No biggie. thanks for the comments though. It helps to hear other point of views.

if those spacers are 2" thick they more than your camber is maxed out.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
2" thick spacers will yield to almost 4" of lift!!!

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
big_pigs whiney PM to ACID said:
"Man you really need to read up and get your shit together.

Also, sounds like the install was a hack job to me".

I asked for comments. not wise fucking ones.
Hey a comment is a comment. You didn't specify that you'd be to the point of bawling and slashing your wrists if you got something you didn't like. Go suck an egg, and try replying in public next time shitbag, which is where this PM is going.

------
You did it wrong, now own up and shut up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the problem fixed. It was just a matter of removing the spacer and re-aligning. I thought others out there might have had an experience like this and solved it while gaining extra height in the process. And I did it without sucking on an egg, and posting this message in public on acid rains behalf.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
The thickest spacer you should go with should be 1/2" thick, and will yield to 1" of lift.

Depending on your drop bracket, and the angles, it shouldn't be done (especially fi you are stacking spacers up front)

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
The thickest spacer you should go with should be 1/2" thick, and will yield to 1" of lift.

Depending on your drop bracket, and the angles, it shouldn't be done (especially fi you are stacking spacers up front)
actually, with the TM, TC or PC kits the better choice for extra lift is to go with coilovers...but keep them to 2", max; spacers just make the thing handle worse than it already does.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
actually, with the TM, TC or PC kits the better choice for extra lift is to go with coilovers...but keep them to 2", max; spacers just make the thing handle worse than it already does.
Yeah, I would agree. Any time you can do coilovers, go with them.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I got the problem fixed. It was just a matter of removing the spacer and re-aligning. I thought others out there might have had an experience like this and solved it while gaining extra height in the process. And I did it without sucking on an egg, and posting this message in public on acid rains behalf.
Thanks, but you should try the eggs. I hear they are excellent with a side of crow :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts