TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive seen post of people using the trailmaster extension for the sas swap i was going to get a benup steering shaft but ive having two problems the first is i cant seem to get ahold of them ive left emails and voicemail and never get a return and there is no online ordering so if anybody knows of another vendor for a steeing shaft oor has any info on the tm steering shaft that would be great thanks

·
Registered
623 Posts
i've used the trailmaster steering extension on several swaps... it bolts right up to the ifs box, i take the 90 degree joint apart and make it into a straight u-joint then just put them together...

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Same here... its really easy to do.

Although now days I used an older IFS steering shaft and graft the female end of the stock Tacoma (short shaft) to the longer IFS shaft.

Here is a write up that I did.

http://www.ericksonsonline.com/4x4/steeringshaft/index.html

The only cost was the $35 I paid to tap for the rag joint/steering shaft combo. When its complete... I like the fact that it looks clean, and factory!

Yogi

Oh yea... Its also safe... in the event of a crash, the steering shaft has the crumple zone... so it wont shove the shaft into your chest! lol

ive seen post of people using the trailmaster extension for the sas swap i was going to get a benup steering shaft but ive having two problems the first is i cant seem to get ahold of them ive left emails and voicemail and never get a return and there is no online ordering so if anybody knows of another vendor for a steeing shaft oor has any info on the tm steering shaft that would be great thanks

·
Registered
294 Posts
Some have used the stock steering shaft and welded to the steering shaft/rag joint from the doner vehicle that they got the IFS box--and that is what I did at first I did a new shaft( last week) using a shaft from an 84 or older 4x4 mini truck that has VERY big slip spline instead of the rag-joint--one less thing to break on the trail. Welded the parts together and very beefy. There is a company that sells what I have done for 325.00 the only difference is they look nicer. That company used steering shafts from the 84 older 4x4 trucks and older 60-70 ish shafts from a FJ40 matched them up with newer upper ends off of 4runners. I do not have the web page but do a google or yahoo search. Once you see the shafts from the old trucks you will see the strength of them vs a rag joint. If need be I can send some pics. They also come with the u-joint at the box end.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I dont use the rubber "rag" joint portion. I use a 1/4" metal spacer that I make to bolt the two ends together. I really tightens up the steering and will ever break! :)

If you look closely in this pic, you can see what Im talkinga bout. No rubber... all metal.

Yogi

Some have used the stock steering shaft and welded to the steering shaft/rag joint from the doner vehicle that they got the IFS box--and that is what I did at first I did a new shaft( last week) using a shaft from an 84 or older 4x4 mini truck that has VERY big slip spline instead of the rag-joint--one less thing to break on the trail. Welded the parts together and very beefy. There is a company that sells what I have done for 325.00 the only difference is they look nicer. That company used steering shafts from the 84 older 4x4 trucks and older 60-70 ish shafts from a FJ40 matched them up with newer upper ends off of 4runners. I do not have the web page but do a google or yahoo search. Once you see the shafts from the old trucks you will see the strength of them vs a rag joint. If need be I can send some pics. They also come with the u-joint at the box end.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey bro how did u remove the old steeing u joint ? i tryed to remove it like i would a normal driveshaft u joint but there smalle so its a bitch

·
Registered
160 Posts
im pretty sure its a rag joint..there are 2 bolts (maybe 10 or 12mm) holding the joint together..u dont have to take the u joint thingy apart

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
There is no set way to remove the joint... just keep working at it... carefully so you dont damage the caps. :)

Yogi

hey bro how did u remove the old steeing u joint ? i tryed to remove it like i would a normal driveshaft u joint but there smalle so its a bitch

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts

I used the shaft on the bottom. Got it from an older Toyota pickup at the junkyard for cheap. Been working great ever since! I don't like the idea of using rubber in the steering shaft. I can't count the number of times I've seen the rubber shredded on those things, deeming the steering useless. Avoid using the rubber at all costs :) Ronn has the right idea...

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Yeah... I agree with you... I shreddred the rubber bushing / rag joint on my first SAS that I did about 6 years ago. Ive been running a solid spacer ever since. I think the rag joint was there just to remove any vibes from the steering wheel. More of the car like driving that Toyota tried to incorportate into their vehicles.

Yogi

I used the shaft on the bottom. Got it from an older Toyota pickup at the junkyard for cheap. Been working great ever since! I don't like the idea of using rubber in the steering shaft. I can't count the number of times I've seen the rubber shredded on those things, deeming the steering useless. Avoid using the rubber at all costs :) Ronn has the right idea...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts