TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace one of my Gabriel strut inserts for the TrailMaster 6" lift kit (due to accident, not because it's a bad product) and ended up doing some quick looking around, the Gabriel.com website gives you a part number lookup to tell you what vehicles their part numbers fit.

Just for 'fun' I ran the Gabriel replacement strut p# G44774, it fits the following:

Volkswagen Corrado All w/Rebuildable front struts (4 Cyl.) 1990 - 1992
Volkswagen Golf All w/Rebuildable front struts 1985 - 1992
Volkswagen Jetta All w/Rebuildable front struts 1985 - 1992
Rebuildable = 'W/O sealed struts' or non-sealed struts.

Figured I'd post it here just in case anyone else wants to try a different strut manufacturer like these or for some reason they stop making the gabriel replacements:

Tokico = HZ1093
Monroe = 72873
KYB = 364014
Bilstein = F4-PNE-3046-BE

Andrew

·
Registered
50 Posts
I need to replace one of my Gabriel strut inserts for the TrailMaster 6" lift kit (due to accident, not because it's a bad product) and ended up doing some quick looking around, the Gabriel.com website gives you a part number lookup to tell you what vehicles their part numbers fit.

Just for 'fun' I ran the Gabriel replacement strut p# G44774, it fits the following:

Figured I'd post it here just in case anyone else wants to try a different strut manufacturer like these or for some reason they stop making the gabriel replacements:

Tokico = HZ1093
Monroe = 72873
KYB = 364014

Andrew
Has anyone tried any of these struts or know thier quality? I tried the gabriels at autozone and the part numbers didn't come up anymore. Maybe they stopped making them or have some superceeding number. It was good 3 years ago or so. I was going to go with Bilstein for replacements but that number didn't come up either, so guess it will be Monroe(that number worked). I just hate to install them, then have em go bad in less than a year like the original trailmaster kit struts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've got a crash damaged strut too...

SO my Tacoma TRD v-6 on 35's runs 85-92 Volkswagon Golf struts ~~~

Nice :rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just a more current update... Installed the Gabriels myself 2 weeks ago, Autozone lists 2 separate ID numbers:
Gabriel Ultra/Shock/Strut - Front

For your 1990 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8L FI SOHC 4cyl

Price: $35.99
Part Number: G44774
Alternate Part Number: G46720
The guy at the counter found them under the G44774 number just fine.
Considered going with the Bilsteins but at $160 each, I'll try the Gabriels for now, they have an unlimited lifetime warranty anyway, if i blow them again, i trade em in for new struts no questions asked
Bilstein/Shock/Strut - Front

For your 1990 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8L FI SOHC 4cyl

Price: $159.99
Part Number: 21030468
Alternate Part Number: F4PNE3046BE
I WOULD be interested t know if anyone tries a different strut other than the Gabriels

http://www.nwtoys.com/content/126-trailmaster-lift-inversion-modification.html

More

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Just a more current update... Installed the Gabriels myself 2 weeks ago, Autozone lists 2 separate ID numbers:
The guy at the counter found them under the G44774 number just fine.
Considered going with the Bilsteins but at $160 each, I'll try the Gabriels for now, they have an unlimited lifetime warranty anyway, if i blow them again, i trade em in for new struts no questions asked

I WOULD be interested t know if anyone tries a different strut other than the Gabriels

http://www.nwtoys.com/content/126-trailmaster-lift-inversion-modification.html
i have new gabriels myself, putting in the lift maybe in the next month or 2. interested as well as to a recommendation for better struts.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Tokico = HZ1093
Monroe = 72873
KYB = 364014

Andrew
I've got a crash damaged strut too...

SO my Tacoma TRD v-6 on 35's runs 85-92 Volkswagon Golf struts ~~~

Nice :rolleyes::rolleyes:

so I’m busy trying to make the same modification. Does anyone have any photos of the final modification? Would be extremely helpful LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts