TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The shop is having some difficulties on why both side of the Struts are rubbing on both the STOCK & 36 x 13.50" tires...
The suspension has a 3 inch Body and a 6 inch TrailMaster Suspension.
The truck is 2002 v6 Standard 4x4

After we installed the kit, we could not figure out why the stock tires were rubbing, and i took it to an allignment shop; but that didnt help, now my other option was to purchase spacers with longer studs. But If anyone of you ran into this problem before' can someone please help...
Front view pictures of both the fron suspensions are attched to this post.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Whats the backspacing on the rims? You need at least 3.75"b.s to clear the TM struts, maybe grind the struts down a bit just to clear those meats.

·
Registered
787 Posts
what backspacing are those wheels? Try it with the stock wheels and tires first. If you have the wrong backspacing that will move the tires to far in the wheel well causing them to rub.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have the same lift and had the same problems with my 315/75/16 Pro Comp. I was rubbing so bad and I knew that it was my backspacing. I sold my wheels and tires and bought 33 12.5 truxs and 16in black steelies. I will find out what the backspacing is on my new wheels ( i forgot). Oh ya, I drive a 2000 tacoma.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even with the STOCK tires, the struts still rubs. Now i dont know what the backspacing for those wheels, but they're 17" rims though...The TM tech people was not much of a help either since all the answer they could give me was, "you should not have any problems with TP95 6 inch Kit."
Some other suggestion was made that, the installation for the differentials might have altered it or the lowere cambers was placed slightly wrong. We cant seem to figure it out, and im really itching to get it out and running after a month of work....

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
Are you saying with stock tires AND WHEELs it still rubs? Thats not surprising at all. The stock wheels have more backspacing which puts them that much closer in to the strut.

This isnt a tech. proven deal its some figurative math Ive used determing track width etc when I dont actually have the vehicle in front of me. I just have the numbers.

Since I dont know what your stock tires are Im going to sub a 31x10.50R15 on a factory 15x7 rim with 4.5" backspacing.

If you consider the backspacing in 4.5 inches, that means you have 4.5 inches from the mounting surface(WMS) of the wheel to the inner lip of the wheel.
Consider the tire is 10.5 inches wide on a 7 inch wheel, figuratively you'll have 1.75 inches from the outermost point of the sidewall (facing the strut) to the inner lip of the wheel. Basically the tire will overhang the rim lip by 1.75 inches on each side of the wheel.
So add 1.75 to 4.5 and you get 6.25 total inches from the WMS to the outer sidewall(facing the strut), which since its rubbing is obviously not enough distance or backspacing.

So say you get a 15x10 wheel with 3.75" backspacing and put a 36x12.50 tire on it.
Doing the same math its 3.75 from WMS to wheel lip. And you have 1.25" of tire sticking out each side of the rim. Total distance 5". Should be enough for clearance but lets say you went with a ...

15x8

that would equate to 6" total which is hardly enough difference from stock.

Did anyone follow that? I wish I had a way to do an illustration, but I dont while at work.

I also just realized you're running 13.50's which would only make matters worse.

Give us the specs on both sets of wheels and tires if you can.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
Yeah or tire and wheel really. There's nothing wrong with the suspension. This one slipped by me :D I had my guard down lol.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
I don't know why nothing is being done about it. If no one cares, why do we have sections?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
But did it rub when you placed a the stock tires in?
Since i have a Pro comp 1079 "17 x 10" rims on a Irok Radial 36x13.50x 17...I wont be able to find out, what the back spacing is until tommrow when I go back to the shop. SO what would be the best and quickest way to get this truck rolling on the streets...thats my main concern for now. I still have alot of things to do on it, and im falling way behind on my schedule since I cant do much if the truck is still in the shop.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
The stock rims/tires are going to rub because the backspacing is most likely the same (or more which would make the tire tuck in even more)

If the alignment shop can't even figure this out, you need to find someplace new. It's really not that hard.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Listen, TM clearly states that the BS on the wheels needs to be no more than 3.75" and that is with a 33X12.50 tire. So you have an unknown BS on your wheels, plus wider tires. It isnt to hard to figure out what is wrong here. There isnt a problem with the kit.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
joeylead said:
Listen, TM clearly states that the BS on the wheels needs to be no more than 3.75" and that is with a 33X12.50 tire. So you have an unknown BS on your wheels, plus wider tires. It isnt to hard to figure out what is wrong here. There isnt a problem with the kit.
It's really sad that a tire shop can't even figure this out.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
any TTORA members in your area? you could borrow at leas one tire from another TTORA with the backspacing you need just to take some ideas.

·
Registered
558 Posts
If you don't want to change your wheels order some 1" spacers and call it a day. I do not recommend wheels spacers, but if you maintain them you probably won't have a problem.

ryan

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
joeylead said:
So you have an unknown BS on your wheels
he could always measure. :bitchslap

1 - 20 of 31 Posts