TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have installed a hayden tranny cooler. I then realized that while it does help when i tow, it prob. does not do much for when i am rockcrawling. I am guessing that one with a built in fan would be better. B&M has one with a fan and an automatic thermostat that rurns on at 160 degrees I think. Is it worth the $200 or should I leave well enough alone. I also saw a 9" elec fan on e-bay for like 20 bucks. I figured I would wire it to a switch and just turn it on while going slow. The advantage here is that I could have it off while going through mud. What do you all think?

·
Registered
119 Posts
You did mount it on the enging radiator didn't you? The engine fan is sucking air thru the radiator when the engine is running so it would the tranny cooler then too.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
99redyota said:
I think that if you went with a fan on a switch it would be better because you dont have to have the fan running at all times and it would cost less
the cooler with the fan has a thermostat so it only would be going on when the fluid temps reach above 160 degrees. But it would cost less to get an external fan.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dyingyak said:
You did mount it on the enging radiator didn't you? The engine fan is sucking air thru the radiator when the engine is running so it would the tranny cooler then too.
I did mount it right in front of the radiator, most of it is totally exposed as only a small portion of the top is behind the AC condenser. I just figured that a fan would increase cooling abiity even more. But, if it wouldnt make any difference, it is a wase. maybe I should figure out how to wire in a temp gague instead.

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
I am thinking about doing that as well
I got a electric fan off a 95 4-runner, kind of cool, has a squirrel cage attached to it
I am going to attach it to the front of my hayden as well
good idea

·
Registered
119 Posts
joeylead said:
Maybe I should figure out how to wire in a temp gague instead.
Thats one thing on my list of additions to do down the road one day. I'd like to be able to moniter the tranny temp when it's under hard use.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
joeylead said:
I did mount it right in front of the radiator, most of it is totally exposed as only a small portion of the top is behind the AC condenser. I just figured that a fan would increase cooling abiity even more. But, if it wouldnt make any difference, it is a wase. maybe I should figure out how to wire in a temp gague instead.
An external fan on the cooler while it is placed infront of the radiator would very likely demish the radiators cooling. If you're goinna put a fan on it relocating it would probably be a good idea.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use to run a set up on my old 93 F-350 W/ 460. Id kick it in wheil I was out working, and Idiling, and haelp with keeping my AC cool. I just wired it to a swithc, because I knew when I wanted it on. It did work well on that truck, and did not hinder cooling any. Once your moving, the little it blocks, is not a prob due to the volume of air comming in.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
joeylead said:
Lets put it this way my 2002 V6 4x4 is pretty much stock except for the trd cooler along with the tranny temp gauge. I dont offroad very offten but when i was crusing up a hill in stop and go traffic the tranny got up to 200 degrees. I can only amagine what your rig with you setup would get. I also flushed out my tranny with some redline D4 to help it alittle. FYI for every 40 degrees drop in temp doulbles the life of the tranny.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
boophoenix said:
An external fan on the cooler while it is placed infront of the radiator would very likely demish the radiators cooling. If you're goinna put a fan on it relocating it would probably be a good idea.

I dont really understand how having a fan on the cooler would diminish the radiator cooing ability? Wouldnt it also push some air through the radiator? Or by having a fan, does it become more of an obstuction?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TRDUSA2002 said:
Lets put it this way my 2002 V6 4x4 is pretty much stock except for the trd cooler along with the tranny temp gauge. I dont offroad very offten but when i was crusing up a hill in stop and go traffic the tranny got up to 200 degrees. I can only amagine what your rig with you setup would get. I also flushed out my tranny with some redline D4 to help it alittle. FYI for every 40 degrees drop in temp doulbles the life of the tranny.

yeah, I am looking for every way to drop the temp of the tranny. Although since it already had a hard 125k on it, doubling what is left of the life may not be that much!!

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
joeylead said:
I dont really understand how having a fan on the cooler would diminish the radiator cooing ability? Wouldnt it also push some air through the radiator? Or by having a fan, does it become more of an obstuction?
The engine fan rotates in relation to RPM. The electric runs at only one speed. If the RPMs out run the electric fan then you're losing efficiency. If the electric is pushing faster than the stock the two fans are fighting each other again.

If it was an efficient setup I think the manufacture might would do such a setup on smaller cars where space is limited. They would probably never fight each other enough to be a problem unless you were under extreme conditions and temps.

Just my two cents from being around tranny rebuilding.

·
Random Dude
1,043 Posts
I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Just do a drain n fill on the tranny every other oil change or so and be done with it. The cooler is plenty. The tranny cooler will do just fine with the gentle breeze that driving brings around it. Use 4lo instead of 4hi whenever possible so as to keep the revs higher and the torque converter locked more often. The more the torque converter slips, the higher the temps will get. Just drive smart, don't waste time/money on an extra fan.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
boophoenix said:
The engine fan rotates in relation to RPM. The electric runs at only one speed. If the RPMs out run the electric fan then you're losing efficiency. If the electric is pushing faster than the stock the two fans are fighting each other again.

If it was an efficient setup I think the manufacture might would do such a setup on smaller cars where space is limited. They would probably never fight each other enough to be a problem unless you were under extreme conditions and temps.

Just my two cents from being around tranny rebuilding.
I appreciate your input. Your explanation makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BigBadBob0 said:
I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Just do a drain n fill on the tranny every other oil change or so and be done with it. The cooler is plenty. The tranny cooler will do just fine with the gentle breeze that driving brings around it. Use 4lo instead of 4hi whenever possible so as to keep the revs higher and the torque converter locked more often. The more the torque converter slips, the higher the temps will get. Just drive smart, don't waste time/money on an extra fan.

you are probably right I guess I should probably look into instaling a temp gague instead and then go from there.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
i would hook up a tranny temp gauge so you can monitor the temps and if it is getting too high while crawling then you could add a fan, either way I think a temp gauge is a good idea and is not that hard to hook up.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
knoxtaco said:
i would hook up a tranny temp gauge so you can monitor the temps and if it is getting too high while crawling then you could add a fan, either way I think a temp gauge is a good idea and is not that hard to hook up.

I dont really know how to hook up a gague. I am sure I can do it, I just need to get more info.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
BigBadBob0 said:
Great advice! I somethimes think we outthink ourselves trying to fix problems that don't exist.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts