TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this may seem stupid and you all can rip me apart because i deserve it.
Im at 100k on my 3.4 Tacoma prerunner. It has an automatic transissiom and i have not changed the fluid in the tranny since ive owned it. I purchased it with 34k on the odo. A mechanic that i dont know if i trust very well said that changing the fluid now would only cause it to slip and that i should just leave it alone. What is the opinion of you guys. Believe it or not the remaining routine maintenance has always been taken care of on time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Changing it after so long is not a problem, it's FLUSHING it that causes problems. Flushing involves hooking up to the cooling ports with a machine and it's supposed to flush the tranny, only problem is all that gunk that is sitting at the bottom of the pan gets knocked loose and pulled back through all the little passages and stuck. Remember, a tranny is hydraulic and relies on high pressures through tiny passages. An actuall fluid change you drop the pan and the filter and are able to clean off that little magnet that you should have in the pan.

Let me give you three examples in my own family of how it helps to change it.....

2003 Saturn L200 - 80k slippage up the same hill every day.... changed fluid, runs like a champ.

1998 Jeep Cherokee - 180k would slip out of gear after cold starts after you came to a stop. changed fluid, runs like a champ.

1994 Ford E150 - 160k same problem as the Jeep and add in slippage in reverse. boom, runs like champ now.

There have been a few stories of the new fluid ungluing the clutch material but that seems to be a BS story....

·
Registered
822 Posts
change the fluid. Ive heard if your transmission is slipping really bad that changing the fluid can make the trans go completly out. My truck went 149k before it was ever changed and it gets changed on the regular now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks you all. my worries of changing it now are gone. I know what im doing tomorrow!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
sicki
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing