TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here is the deal. I just transfered a newer engine into my 1996 Tacoma with an auto tranny. The other night I changed out the tranny fluid and drove the trucck up and down my driveway to make sure everything was working as it should. And it was. The drivetrain was working as it shoud. Yesterday, I went to drive it again , shifted it into gear and nothing happened. The engine will rev up but the truck goes nowhere. The shift likage is set up correctly, but even when the linkage on the tranny moves nothing happens. If anyone has any ideas of what could cause this and maybe a remedy, the info would be greatly appreciated. Also I know it is not the t-case. I checked that one.
Thanks

·
Registered
983 Posts
I'm assuming it's an automatic transmission we're talking about here. You probably don't have the tranny fluid serviced up to where it should be; check that first.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Ladykiller said:
OK, here is the deal. I just transfered a newer engine into my 1996 Tacoma with an auto tranny. The other night I changed out the tranny fluid and drove the trucck up and down my driveway to make sure everything was working as it should. And it was. The drivetrain was working as it shoud. Yesterday, I went to drive it again , shifted it into gear and nothing happened. The engine will rev up but the truck goes nowhere. The shift likage is set up correctly, but even when the linkage on the tranny moves nothing happens. If anyone has any ideas of what could cause this and maybe a remedy, the info would be greatly appreciated. Also I know it is not the t-case. I checked that one.
Thanks
was the donor engine from a '96 as well or newer? if newer you must swap out the ECU for that same year.

the ATs are tied into it as well and won't opperate right w/o the same 'puter.

contact Showstop for more details on this

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
How did the fluid look when you drained it? If it was dark and looked like it was never changed, you should have just put the old fluid back in. I've seen this happen 4-5 times (once on a Tacoma). While there is a lot of argument about why or even if the theory is valid, I've seen it first hand in my own vehicles and others. It's the reason why I have not (and will not) change the fluid in the used 4x4 transmission that I bought. Before I put the transmission in the truck, I drained a small amount of fluid. It was VERY dark and looked like it was never changed.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I drained it it looked red, but not that dark. I changed it out about 25,000 miles before. I did put new fluid in. Utilizing the old fluid does not sound like it makes any sense

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
did you transfer a new ECU along with the engine? or was this engine from a '96?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am utilizing the original 1996 ecu, wiring harness, intake, exhaust, transmission, and all sensors. The only thing new in the truck is the block and head. The engine runs fine. The transmission WAS working after the swap. Then, overnight, it decided it didn't want to work for me the next day. I know the basicc workings of an auto tranny, but this one stumps me.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Ladykiller said:
I am utilizing the original 1996 ecu, wiring harness, intake, exhaust, transmission, and all sensors. The only thing new in the truck is the block and head. The engine runs fine. The transmission WAS working after the swap. Then, overnight, it decided it didn't want to work for me the next day. I know the basicc workings of an auto tranny, but this one stumps me.
gotcha. there have been some engine swaps in the past here with newer models going into older trucks and the ECU didn't know what to do with it, LOL

·
Registered
114 Posts
I know it sounds stupid,but check your fuses,you may have a bad solenoid shorting the fuse.Also check your wire connection at the trans.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked the fuses and wiring. Everything seems fine there. Someone has to have had this happen before. I need to figure this one out

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK I found that there is no fluid being pumped out of the cooler lines. I have been searching the internet for hours to try to figure this one out. Torque converter bad?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts