TTORA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my truck (99 Tacoma 4x4 3.4 auto) is having some really weird problems. My driveway has a slight slope not much but enough that if the vehicle was left in neutral it would start to roll. When the truck is parked for any period of time with the nose pointing down the slope (backed in) and you go to take off the truck feels like you have the parking brake on. If I back up and then pull forward again it goes away. This is the same whether the parking brake is on or not. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Might want to check your brakes, they might be sticking. Also, check the diffs for oil levels. Try letting the truck just roll out of the driveway (not in gear) and see if the same happens. But I would definately check the cheaper parts first.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Ok so my truck (99 Tacoma 4x4 3.4 auto) is having some really weird problems. My driveway has a slight slope not much but enough that if the vehicle was left in neutral it would start to roll. When the truck is parked for any period of time with the nose pointing down the slope (backed in) and you go to take off the truck feels like you have the parking brake on. If I back up and then pull forward again it goes away. This is the same whether the parking brake is on or not. Can anyone help?
My guess is your parking pawl is warn out since you park on an incline all of the time. If you don't use the parking brake the stress is put on the pawl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_pawl

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My guess is your parking pawl is warn out since you park on an incline all of the time. If you don't use the parking brake the stress is put on the pawl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_pawl
Well I hope it isn't that. I always use the parking brake though. I just left it off to make sure that wasn't what was causing it. How would I know that the brakes are sticking?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.