TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Sorry for the long and needy first post. I've got a dilemma I'm hoping someone could help me with. I've got a 1999 Tacoma w/ 4cyl and automatic tranny that seems to be slipping (66K miles) pretty bad, prolly clutch packs.

I've got it set-up prerunner style so it gets ran pretty hard in the desert. Since my tranny is already acting up and prolly in need of a rebuild I was wondering what would be involved in swapping the auto to a 5-speed unit. Not the parts needed but, more specifically, will I need to find a tranny specific to that year and engine size? I'm looking for the toughest unit I can find that's not too expensive. I've looked at the g-force tranny's but don't want to fork out the $ yet ($5,500+, ouch), they seem sweet though. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Ideally I'd like to build up a class 7s truck but that's a bit down the road. Starting with what's breaking now and upgrading as it does seems to be the way at the moment. Again, thanks a bunch for any info.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
5spd swap

taquito said:
I've got it set-up prerunner style so it gets ran pretty hard in the desert. Since my tranny is already acting up and prolly in need of a rebuild I was wondering what would be involved in swapping the auto to a 5-speed unit. Not the parts needed but, more specifically, will I need to find a tranny specific to that year and engine size? I'm looking for the toughest unit I can find that's not too expensive.
you're probably gonna be asking for trouble if you do that!

·
Registered
951 Posts
taquito said:
I was wondering what would be involved in swapping the auto to a 5-speed unit. Not the parts needed but, more specifically, will I need to find a tranny specific to that year and engine size?
You will need a 5 speed from a 2.7, new flywheel, output shaft(if you have 4wd) clutch pedal, linkage, remove the TPS from the throttle body, and possibly a CPU from the 5 speed donor. In short, if you can't find a wrecked donor for cheap, it will take more than it is worth. You would be better off beefing your auto with tougher clutch packs, valve body work in the tranny ect. The auto can handle a lot if you build it right.

Good luck,
Boheefus

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a bunch for the info, it's appreciated. After taking the info into consideration I'm definitely thinking a quality rebuild and heavy duty cooler might be the way to go. I was thinking of the level 10 kit (Level 10 tranny's) to beef it up. Any ideas or thoughts?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
taquito
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing