TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install a tranny temp gague, but dint really know how. I installed an external cooler and want to tap into the rubber lines if possible. I know I need a sending unit and a gague. I just dont know what the sending unit does or how to hook one up. I am confident I can do the install if I had some directions as I have done everything to my truck myself. I just want to make sure I know all the parts I will need and have an understanding of what needs to be done before I start. Thanks guys.
 

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
Joined
·
1,700 Posts
joeylead said:
I want to install a tranny temp gague, but dint really know how. I installed an external cooler and want to tap into the rubber lines if possible. I know I need a sending unit and a gague. I just dont know what the sending unit does or how to hook one up. I am confident I can do the install if I had some directions as I have done everything to my truck myself. I just want to make sure I know all the parts I will need and have an understanding of what needs to be done before I start. Thanks guys.
I got my sending unit from summit racing its alittle blue box and everything should be there to do the install. The only thing is you need to get some 3/8" fittings that will slide into your cooler lines and you can find those at any hardware store. My buddy did mine and he hooked it up as the fluid is comming out of the tranny. Make sure to ground the box to the frame and the wireing should be pretty straight forward.
 

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
take your truck to a tuner shop or local 4x4 fabricator and find out if they can weld a bung into the tranny pan and tap the gauge sender into that
I had it done to mine, I had a spare and did it to that one as well
I bought an electric AutoMeter tranny temp gauge Phantom series
I will post pics ASAP!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
98 Taco said:
take your truck to a tuner shop or local 4x4 fabricator and find out if they can weld a bung into the tranny pan and tap the gauge sender into that
I had it done to mine, I had a spare and did it to that one as well
I bought an electric AutoMeter tranny temp gauge Phantom series
I will post pics ASAP!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a benifit to running it from the pan as opposed to the line coming out of the tranny? Is there really a sinificant difference in temps?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
joeylead said:
Is there a benifit to running it from the pan as opposed to the line coming out of the tranny? Is there really a sinificant difference in temps?
I have always heard that you get the most accurate reading if you mount it inline in the output from tranny pre cooler. That way you don't get the reading after it has been cooled and can see if it is getting too hot. Also heard that tapping or getting reading from tranny pan isn't as accurate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
TRDUSA2002 said:
I got my sending unit from summit racing its alittle blue box and everything should be there to do the install. The only thing is you need to get some 3/8" fittings that will slide into your cooler lines and you can find those at any hardware store. My buddy did mine and he hooked it up as the fluid is comming out of the tranny. Make sure to ground the box to the frame and the wireing should be pretty straight forward.

So the 2001-2004 automatics have 3/8 inch rubber line? I am gonna also get a magnefine filter when I install my cooler and was wondering.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
joeylead said:
I want to install a tranny temp gague, but dint really know how. I installed an external cooler and want to tap into the rubber lines if possible. I know I need a sending unit and a gague. I just dont know what the sending unit does or how to hook one up. I am confident I can do the install if I had some directions as I have done everything to my truck myself. I just want to make sure I know all the parts I will need and have an understanding of what needs to be done before I start. Thanks guys.
In addition to the one summit sells I also found this one. It is 6th item from bottom "transmission temp sender block". Don't know anythign about it, but it's another option.

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/toyotaauto.shtml#main

The summit one is item # ATM-2286. http://store.summitracing.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the stuff from importperformace looks good. I am just trying to figure out how it all gets hooked up. Seems like the sende is mounted in-line. Then a hose runs from the sender to the gague? But, then all the sender would really be is a "T" fitting so that must be to simplistic.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top