TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm looking to install a transmission temperature gauge in my '06 Tacoma. I heard good things about ISSPRO... and have read some concerns about AutoMeter.

So right now I'm leaning toward ISSPRO.

The only issue I have with them is that their standard backlit is green! They are already expensive as it is and to have them put in a red led will costs $25 more.

So I'm wondering if there's another line of gauges that perform just as well as ISSPRO.

Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah... I've read about those... I think those use the OBD port? And even then, it's would only be picking up the stock temp sensor which I've read aren't in the best place to read actualy tranny temps.

I'm going to try to follow ah64id write-up on putting the sensor on the hardline of the tranny cooler.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What about AEM? They make high quality gauges and I've seen somebody with a 3rd gen 4runner install it right by their shifter, that's what I wanna do with the black face and digital led readout. I think standard color on the readout is red, too. Check em out, you can't really go wrong with the quality

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank BlazeRunner.
I've been a little more research. I think some of the posts I've read that said "I'll take ISSPRO over AutoMeter..." or imply that AutoMeter line of product was not accurate compared to ISSPRO probably wasn't comparing apples to apples.

I just learned that there's at least 2 types of gauges:
1. Air Core Movement
2. Stepper Motor

The latter is much more accurate than the former.

I know the ISSPRO EV/EV2 line are all Stepper Motor... I'm not even sure if ISSPRO makes any air core types. This may be where it misled to think AutoMeter was not good brand.

I do see AutoMeter have various lines of Stepper Motor. The price does jump... but seems to be inline with all other brands.

Unless someone else says AutoMeter generally a low quality brand, I think I'll be considering their Stepper Motor line.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I like my Scangauge, BUT agree that it's not terribly accurate for trans temps. I'll be running a panel full of Stewart Warner gauges to monitor trans and engine parameters. They make electric and mechanical gauges to suit your preference. If you want to run a mechanical gauge, Autometer makes an aluminum block that you can splice into one of your transmission hardlines and use to mount the sender. These are great because they require no power other that a hot with to power the light.

Ebay has tons of Stewart Warner gauges to match you style of gauge faces.
Here's mine:

And the autometer manifold, part number 2286. They make other sizes too.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I like my speedhut gauges... they are custom built to order for you. Fully customizable, stepper motors, reasonably priced, made in USA. Great customer service.

We thought a sensor was bad so they sent a new one. Installed it, same problem. So they sent a new cable, works great.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Prices for the Speedhuts?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts