TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm at a dead stop, I can shift through all the gears like nothing. When I get going, I can shift up like nothing. But when I try and shift down, I have trouble.

3rd, 4th, and 5th seem unaffected. But I can't easily shift into second unless I'm doing under 20, and I can't easily shift into first until I'm under 5. No grinding, I just push on the shifter and nothing happens, like there's somthing blocking it.

So what's up? I'd guess my synchros are on the way out. If they are, any guesses as to how long they'll hold on before completely crapping out? Is this something I could fix myself or would a professional need to be involved?

Any other suggestions are more than welcome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rolling up on stop signs and stop lights. I got into the habit of using 1st and second gear as much as the brakes to come to a stop, compression braking and all that. Used to be neccessary back when it seemed to be constant that either the roads sucked or my brakes were worn out. I don't usually engage the gears anymore, but the habit of shifting down when I push in the clutch is still there. It won't even let me into the gear anymore, let alone engage it.

And regardless if your '04 does it, my '98 SR5 2.7L 5spd didn't used to, up until about 2 months ago. I used to be able to, now I can't. That's why I think something is wrong with it.
 

·
Big tars, little bed.
Joined
·
8,407 Posts
Aurelius said:
When I'm at a dead stop, I can shift through all the gears like nothing. When I get going, I can shift up like nothing. But when I try and shift down, I have trouble.

3rd, 4th, and 5th seem unaffected. But I can't easily shift into second unless I'm doing under 20, and I can't easily shift into first until I'm under 5. No grinding, I just push on the shifter and nothing happens, like there's somthing blocking it.

So what's up? I'd guess my synchros are on the way out. If they are, any guesses as to how long they'll hold on before completely crapping out? Is this something I could fix myself or would a professional need to be involved?

Any other suggestions are more than welcome.
Its a safty mechanism. You dont want to shift into 1st or 2nd at those speeds.

You might hear a loud BOOM. :D Same with reverse lockout.

If you're speeding down the road and are anticipating a curve or a turn, just brake as needed with the tranny kept in the last gear you last shifted into, as you come down to 30-25 mph, then shift into second, or 10-5mph for 1st.

By keeping the tranny in gear while braking, rather than just coasting in neutral, it takes a slight but helpful load off the brakes and helps with slowing the truck down.

BUT another thing, dont get all happy with using downshifting as the primary method to slow the truck rather than using the brakes. These trannies werent meant for it, big rig trucks trannies are built to withstand that sort of useage. Your's wasnt. If its an emergency and your brakes are out sure use the tranny, but doing this day in and day out will either dramatically shorten the trannies life or just flat out damage it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
Transmissions are designed to accelerate and brakes are designed to stop. Don't confuse the two. Use brakes to slow down and stop. It's alot easier to replace brake pads than replace a clutch or a transmission.
 

·
Big tars, little bed.
Joined
·
8,407 Posts
lol thats what my dad always told me except he said "cheaper" to replace the brake pads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Only issue I have is that 30-25 for second is 10mph more than I can shift down. I can't shift into 2nd until 20-15. I can't shift into first until 5-stop.

At any rate, are you telling me that the shift net wasn't working before, and now it's working like it's supposed to? I used to be able to shift down into second at about 35, and 1st at 20-25. Only thing I've done to it is change the fluid about 3 months ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
If you must, try double clutching to downshift easier. Redline Mt90 also makes downshifting a little smoother and easier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,730 Posts
Double clutching and rev matching will work to get you into gear on downshifts. You should always try to rev match anyways before downshifting so you don't put a ton of strain on the entire drivetrain and clutch or add unnecessary wear your synchros.

It might take some practice to get good at accurately rev matching if you're not real experienced with driving a stick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
LavosTRD said:
my 01 manual tranny i can put it into second at 60 and into first at about 25 or 30
I bet it sounded like my firebird when the starter ingaged at 90mph!!!!! In theory it was going like 70,000 rpms. or do you have 49" tires with stock gears?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,068 Posts
no....4.10 with stock tires....60 at second is redline and it shifts in liek butter....i usually dont release the clutch tho until about 50 or 55 when im downshifting....i drive the fuck out of my truck as those who know me will atest to
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So do you have a different tranny than I do? If not, any idea which one of ours is functiong "correctly"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
LavosTRD said:
no....4.10 with stock tires....60 at second is redline and it shifts in liek butter....i usually dont release the clutch tho until about 50 or 55 when im downshifting....i drive the fuck out of my truck as those who know me will atest to
I see, you're not trying to stop - you're trying to go!!!! get er done! hammer down!!! I think tacomas make excellent rally trucks :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
Aurelius said:
Only issue I have is that 30-25 for second is 10mph more than I can shift down. I can't shift into 2nd until 20-15. I can't shift into first until 5-stop.

At any rate, are you telling me that the shift net wasn't working before, and now it's working like it's supposed to? I used to be able to shift down into second at about 35, and 1st at 20-25. Only thing I've done to it is change the fluid about 3 months ago.


....changed the fluid 3 months ago.... ...problem appeared 2 months ago...


'Safety Net' WTF is that? Never heard of such a thing... there's no 'safety' lockout... theoretically you could shift into first, second, third, etc at any speed... must use your brain and accept the responsibility for dropping the clutch with the tranny in a low gear at a high speed (not directly talking to you..)... I've heard mention in this thread and others to use 'MT-90' oil... not sure of MFR.. but you might have put the wrong viscosity or a lower grade oil, or it is possible that the syncro's are worn... driving styles vary so much that the statement: if you don't drive it hard, then the syncro's are probably fine... can't really be said... Good Luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For the record, I used 75w-90 Mobil-1 Synthetic, and overfilled it a bit.

As far as my safety net comment, I was expanding on what Cope said at the beginning. I know that some transmissions had a lockout so you can't shift from 5th into 1st or reverse, you have to chase the gears down. Don't know if there's anything remotely like that on these trannys.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top