TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beloved Taco ('94 V6 auto, 140k mi) is sick... 10 weeks and counting in & out of the shop. After about 40 hwy mi (low speeds are no prob) the auto trans OD gives out (or something...) and starts slipping, but before that its ok. Once it starts the engine runs over normal revs, and on hills it gets ugly. Eventually the AT oil temp light comes on (even on the flats) and the engine starts to knock like crazy (death rattle!) and revs climb while power drops out. Nobody seems to be able to fix it. Trans has been re-built (it DID need it... 2nd was trashed) and engine tuned several times - no effect on this problem. Runs OK w/ OD off but gulps gas like beer. Before this started I banged the rear (not sure what exactly) on a rock, but seemed OK after that for a few days - can't see how that would've done anything... problem started in the East Sierra at altitude and got worse the longer I drove it. Suggestions for the poor saps trying to fix this would be most appreciated.
Merry Christmas...

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
My best advice is to seek out a different trans shop. You aren't going to like the answer they give you probably, but I think you need some pro to look into that. Where are you located?? If in SoCal, I can recommend a good shop or two, or so could Demello or Donahoe. But if you are elsewhere, someone else will have to set you up. It sounds like they didn't rebuild whatever the mechanism is for OD, or it is way out of adjustment. Mid 90's heavy fords had issues like that. It wasn't pretty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rojodiablo said:
My best advice is to seek out a different trans shop. You aren't going to like the answer they give you probably, but I think you need some pro to look into that. Where are you located?? If in SoCal, I can recommend a good shop or two, or so could Demello or Donahoe. But if you are elsewhere, someone else will have to set you up. It sounds like they didn't rebuild whatever the mechanism is for OD, or it is way out of adjustment. Mid 90's heavy fords had issues like that. It wasn't pretty.
Thought about changing shops - thanks for the suggestions but those are a bit of a drive from San Jose... :). The good news, such as it is, is that the money's already been paid, so now it's all on AAMCO's nickel. The problem is that it looks like they don't know what to do next, and I'm afraid they'll dick around forever... What got replaced was the torque conv, 2nd gear, gaskests etc and various valves/solenoids (incl the OD stuff) that crudded up with the body parts from 2nd.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
There are LOTS of good guys near you, and hopefully one of them will know where to send you. AAMCO is an unknown quantity of quality. Some are great, some are .... a little less than that... You might want to do the Better Buisness Bureau, or bureau of auto repairs thing, to "nudge" them in the right direction. I wish you luck. If you paid with a credit card, tie up the money by disputing the repair immediately. A 2nd thought, check the rear brakes, and emergency brake setup. It is not too likely, but it could be heating up and seizing on the highway. Pull the drums and look for damage. It sounds stupid, but my partner's ford ranger just did this last week, and it was stopping the truck all over, and was not even making any noise. Weird. So, someone help him out!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
rojodiablo
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing