TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i was in some mud that i didn't think was so deep and got buried. i probably beat too hard on it trying to get it out but eventually my buddy pulled me out. anywho, i have an 02 4x4 auto and i was seeing a decent amount of trans fluid dripping from a hole in the front skid plate. it's too late to see what's going on, but does that sound like a trans cooler line leaking? hopefully this isn't too catastropic cause this is supposed to be my reliable transportation. i'll post updates as i find them but i'm just hoping someone has had this happen before and can give me some advice

shit i just realized it's probably how we hooked it up to pull it out. we had to hook one of those ratcheting tie downs around the lower valence. like i said, i'll post updates as i find out how bad the carnage really is

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hmm..

Why didn't you guys rig to the tow hooks off the frame?? The Fr. Diff comes before the tranny, and is more on top the skid plate than your tranny is. How are you so sure that it is tranny fluid anyways? First, check to see if it really is automatic tran. fluid. It sounds to me like you may have either power steering issues (because of tow attaching issues) or, fr. diff. damage. Lastly a tranny issue if the former isn't messed. :mad: sorry dude that sucks

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i am missing one tow hook and we couldn't get it on there anyway. regardless of that, i've realized the leak is coming from the (pardon my lack of technical terms) gasket between the bellhousing and the engine. now i guess all that's left to do is bend over and go get it replaced. i'm not sure how long ago, but the previous owner had the tranny replaced or rebuilt. i'm really starting to think the guy who did it was a complete hack cause he didnt put on the insulation above the tranny and now it appears he used the same gasket twice to cut corners.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Gasket between the bell housing and the engine? There is no such gasket. If you are leaking fluid at the bellhousing, you've got a bad torque converter seal. Going to be costly if you have someone do it as you will have to pull the transmission to get to the seal.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well this is looking great :rolleyes: . hopefully i can get this done under some kind of warranty from the guy who did the transmission before. i also hope the torque converter and trans are ok. i don't think i drove it enough to have royally fucked anything up. thanks for letting me know its the torque converter seal.

btw neither of the transmission trouble lights came on so i assume that means the fluid didn't get too terribly hot?

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
As I recall, the 01+ Tacomas are equipped with an ATF Overheat warning light. If you didn't see it come on, you should be alright. Just be sure that you keep a very close eye on your fluid level until you have the issue repaired.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it's not even drivable as far as i'm concerned judging by how bad it puked up fluid last time i turned it on. any clue where i would find the right stuff? i've been looking on toyota world and i can't even find anything torque converter related

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had the same problem after getting stuck in a river crossing. The only time is leaked or leaks is when the truck is workin, meaning in four wheel drive. My oil level is okay and truck runs great. Someone suggested water may have gotten in which causes it to leak.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
i'm not sure what it is, but i can clearly feel a crappy gasket in front of the bellhousing that's about the consistency of bubble gum in some spots. to describe the leak...it's pretty tame (a slow drip like brewing coffee) up until you turn the car off (or if you're driving, when you slow down/stop) and then it just pukes out a puddle. this makes sense with tq converter seal i would think because centrifugal force would keep it from leaking when it's turning at a decent speed but when it slows down the fluid is going to get out. i was doing some reading online about torque converter seal leaks and some suggested that the problem may also be caused by the input shaft bushing. should i replace that also for good measure?

does it still sound like the torque converter seal is the main issue? i would assume it is but i'd hate to just get the torque converter seal fixed and pay out the ass to find out i've still got a leak. i've been seeing a lot about front pump seals and wonder if that could be the culprit also...?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update, taco is at the shop now and the front pump seal is the fault of the leak. it's going to be 700ish to get replaced, but they are unsure of possible internal carnage and the seal won't hold enough fluid to test whether the transmission is in good shape or not. i only drove it home maybe 2 miles while it was slowly leaking and then maybe a half mile or so it was running on low fluid because i had to clean off the truck. i really don't think anything is too fubared except maybe the torque converter (i assume the pump isn't too bad because it will still pump the fluid out of the seal?). any thoughts on if it's worth gambling on the seal being the problem as opposed to getting another transmission?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well it's fixed. ended up needing a torque converter, front pump, and seals/bushings for everything previously mentioned. last time i wheel at night...i was such a dumbass.

·
Registered
52 Posts
simular problem, heres what it looks like

I have a 01 v6 auto 4wd, I am having a similar problem. My Transfer case has always leaked, but only enough to make it wet, not enough to drip. Sometimes after 4wding there is a little leak, since the truck was new that is. Its over 266K miles so I don’t mind a little leak but this got bad(i hoped it was my brothers ford but i wasent lucky).
I was out wheeling for a 3 day weekend and noticed the truck was shifting rough (as if it were in Low 4wd) but I didn’t notice a leak. It’s been 2 weeks since I got back and I have not noticed a leak, the tranny level is a little high, as it has been for the past 15K miles when the dealer flushed it. It leaked last night enough to make a gressy spot about the size of two dvds, but today and this morning at work and all, it was totally dry ground under my truck. I did scrape slightly on a curb going the truck route between shopping centers could that have jarred something to leak for a short period?
I took off the skid plate and looked around and found it was coming from the middle on the top of were the tranny meets the motor. Attached are pictures, any ideas? (I am praying not the T converter) Thanks ahead of time guys!

PS. were its been leaking i have a wet red oil(the tannry oil) and it also seems there is a red/pink powder with white powder around it on some spots as well.

also these were taken at different angles, so be careful eyes my be deceiving, the oil is coming up right about the middle and dripping towards the passenger side.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bump, any ideas, its leaking only about a drop over night, but making stuff all red, any ideas? I am already putting money aside for the trip to dealer/bad people :)

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Strange, it actually looks like it's leaking Toyota red coolant. I was going to say that it's probably coming out of the releif valve at the top but you've taken some great pictures that clearly show that the valve is dry. Have you checked the colant hoses behind the heads?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hats Off To Tx!

HOLY POO! i just went outside and I noticed that i could see the rivets that allow the water to flow down when looking down the radiator cap! Sunday my friend is helping me put in new CVs, I will have him look at it. However, is radiator fluid ever oily? cause my drive way has some oil spots that its leaking. My first thought was a head gasket but my engine oil looks just fine. so its got to be something that is leaking along with the coolant. Now the Green will mix with the red, soon i will have a rainbow oozing down my tranny! I reached behind the motor looking for water leaking but was unable to find anything. my only fear is that its a cracked block. If so i will have to trade it in ;-)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wtf?

sorry forgot to shrink them!
These are of the back side of my 3.4 V6

Ok i think it is coming out of here, or possible the bottom of that gold plate. Its next to impossible to get at it without removing the exhaust, and maybe the intake! were the heck could that hose go? and why is rubber in metal? there is not even enough room to put my Dig Camara up in there to get a good shot of it lol. Has anyone seen something like this before? is this s cheap fix or something thats going to cost me a G? :confused:

PS Thank you Interex, had it not been for you i mat have overheated on the way to work today! SUPER DUPER KUDOS!

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Glad I could help. ;)

In terms of your leak, it looks like a coolant is leaking from some type of freeze plug but I can't be for sure. I've actually never looked at the back of these motors. I can also see that hose has some signs of leaking and there is no clamp on it. I'll take a look at mine tonight and see if I've got a clamp on mine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
from what i can tell the hose goes inside the metal, rather than around. I was able to see it from under the passenger side with the wheels turned all the way to the right. Since it appears its coming out of the hose, i am slightly relieved. But i recall when i had a cracked block on my VW, i didn't find out till i blew a freeze plug :-(

I would wonder how you would even get to it. maybe take the body loose, and put it up on jacks? LOL I am going on a run tomorrow, i will look at some of them too. Thanks for all your help!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
8 Participants
Interex
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing