TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay - in preparation for my 4WD Conversion, I took some measurements today. I want you guys to check my math. I have to get my Front Driveshaft Lengthened, and my Rear Driveshaft Shortened, and these measurements have to be right!

If someone with a 98 - 04 Tacoma, with a stock Tranny & T-Case can doublecheck my measurements, that would be a big help too.

Here's what I've got:
Driveshafts were measured from output flange -to- Center Support Bearing (Center of bolt)

Prerunner:
Tail-housing -to- Rear Output Flange = 6"
Driveshaft = 39 1/2"

Stock 4WD:
T-Case + Tail-housing = X"
Driveshaft = 27 1/2"

My 4WD Conversion:
Adapter Plate Kit = 8 1/2"
T-Case = 12 3/4"
TOTAL LENGTH = 21 1/4
Stock 4WD Driveshaft will need to be shortened 3 1/4"

My Math:
39.5" + 6" = 45.5" (amount of space from CSB -to- Transmission)
45.5 - 27.5 = 18" ( X = 18" [stock 4WD T-case])
18" - 21.25 = -3.25

So - Stock 4WD D-Shaft = 27.5 - 3.25 = 24.25"
24.25" + 21.25" = 45.5" = amount of space from CSB -to- Transmission

Sound about right?

Jim @ Inchworm told me that I would need to Shorten/Lengthen my Driveshafts by about 4". Are my Stock 4WD Measurements off? My measurements are all based off of mathematic calculations - I don't actually have a stock 4WD to look at and/or measure.

One more thing:
In the pictures above, I noted the placement of the Speed Sensors. I've got that down. But what in the hell is this:

·
Registered
758 Posts
This is the transfer indicator switch. In other words, it's the 4WD indicator switch. When you shift into 4WD this switch causes the 4WD light in the dash to light up. As for the drivelines I can't help, but I would recommend waiting until you have it all installed before having your drive lines made up.

BTW, nice to see another Lefty owner.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh ok - I don't even think I have that light in my dash... I'll have to ask Harold (Interex). Otherwise, I'll just zip-tie this wire out of the way.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Lefty?
As in left hand front output? (yes, I'm a frickin noob)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Voimakas said:
Lefty?
As in left hand front output? (yes, I'm a frickin noob)
bingo

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I just got done efiling so sorry no numbers look good right now...
You using your stock rear driveshaft and a front you bought?
Main thing is either get it installed like dude said or just measure from where one blts to the next and subtract that from center support to where the front one bolts. I want to say mine before the crawler was 19 3/4 rear output to center support? Or maybe it was 28 1/4? I forget.
I wouldn't trust anyone elses numbers too much man- somehow these things are all different. Measure mounting surfaces if you must though- all you can do really. 1/4 - 1/2 inch wont matter too much- that carrier support is slotted and the rear splined :D

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I would wait until its all bolted in or at least mocked up and then measure inside to inside of each flange at the 3 o'clock position to get accurate measurements. It costs too much to do it twice and you'll only save a dayor two anyway, which probably wont make much difference b/c something else will go wrong and you'll have to order a part or something. Like Wes said, somehow they are all a little different.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
SAR_Squid79 said:
Oh ok - I don't even think I have that light in my dash... I'll have to ask Harold (Interex). Otherwise, I'll just zip-tie this wire out of the way.
Yep, the bulb is there and can be wired up very easily. Go down to your Locker ECU (located under the driver side kick panel) and take a look at the harness going into the ECU. There should be a GREEN wire going into it. This is the 4WD indicator light. Since we are PreRunners, the wire isn't actually used by the locker ECU but that doesn't mean that we can't use it. ;) What you want to do is set one side of the t-case sensor to a ground and wire the other side into the cab. Tap the GREEN wire to this t-case sensor and your 4WD light will come on once your t-case is shifted into 4WD.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Ha, coming from a desert rat. Y'all put so much work into those crazy sand-running rigs that this is like making a sandwich in comparison. It's just an adapter and t-case. Even a simple one-stick divorced setup requires more work, and let's not even mention what goes into a two-stick crawler.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Oh hey squid, question:

It looks like you're keeping your stock 2WD tranny, right? How much was that tail adapter from inchworm?

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
padesertboy said:
I would have just bought a 4x4, too much work/mods to go wrong.
The mod is easily done either using all STOCK parts or the route that Jamie is going by simply adding an adapter to the transmission. A converted PreRunner is just as reliable as a factory 4x4.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
=ACID RAIN= said:
Oh hey squid, question:

It looks like you're keeping your stock 2WD tranny, right? How much was that tail adapter from inchworm?
That is correct. With the adapter kit from Inchworm, I am able to mate a Transfer Case (stock, or custom) to my existing PreRunner Transmission. The Adapter Plate Kit was $650. I went this route because

1.) Switching a Transmission is a PITA
2.) My Truck (and transmission wiring harness) is "California Emissions"
3.) I know where my transmission has been, and how well it's been maintained.
4.) Last year I spent a lot of money to have my transmission upgraded to better handle the extra power from the Supercharger.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interex said:
Yep, the bulb is there and can be wired up very easily... [Yadda, yadda, yadda...] and your 4WD light will come on once your t-case is shifted into 4WD.
Thanks Harold! :cool:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
SAR_Squid79 said:
That is correct. With the adapter kit from Inchworm, I am able to mate a Transfer Case (stock, or custom) to my existing PreRunner Transmission. The Adapter Plate Kit was $650. I went this route because

1.) Switching a Transmission is a PITA
2.) My Truck (and transmission wiring harness) is "California Emissions"
3.) I know where my transmission has been, and how well it's been maintained.
4.) Last year I spent a lot of money to have my transmission upgraded to better handle the extra power from the Supercharger.
Excellent, thanks :)

I may go this route as well. With only 17k on my tranny, it seems like the best route to go for me too. What t-case did you get?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
hey, were you at these days jamie? if you are not to far let me know when you are getting serious, i'll come out if you need a hand (got to get you ready, moab is getting close!)

otherwise good luck man, looks as though things are getting close!

you really have 39 1/2" before your center support bearing? other wise your math sounds right... but if you can, the best way would be to bring the truck in with everything mounted up and let them measure and look at you set up to deturman what you need. other wise measure stock and subtract what you are adding.

good luck man!

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Texan1983 said:
You really are from Texas! :D

I'm in Lake Bluff, IL - about 5 - 5 1/2 hours from you. The guy that regeared my front diff still has it. As soon as I get that back from him, I'm going to install my spindles, hubs, Diff, CV's, Camburg UCA's, and Donahoes all in one day.

Then all I'll have left to do is the T-case, Shifter, x-member, and D-shafts another day. I really want to have this done inside of the next 4 weeks.

I need my truck every day, so I have to figure out a way to mock everything up, so I can at least get an accurate measurement of the Rear d-shaft and still be able to drive my truck.

If you seriously want to come lend a hand for either phase - give me a call. It would help to have your truck to look at for reference, and you can crash at my place, and we can drink beer!

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
=ACID RAIN= said:
Excellent, thanks :)

I may go this route as well. With only 17k on my tranny, it seems like the best route to go for me too. What t-case did you get?
I got the Inchworm "Lefty" Gear-Driven T-case, with 1:1 High Range, and 5:1 Low Range, setup with FROR Twin Sticks. $1700
(http://www.inchwormgear.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=985)

(With the T-case setup for Twin Sticks like it is, the shifter lines up perfectly to come through exactly where the stock shifter would be)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
hey give me a break, i have been drinking a little... (maybe more?)

anyways, let me know when you are getting closer, i might be up for a road trip! you got to tell me when you are doing it so i can try to make it on my off days (despite what you think, i do work every once and awhile!) just want to make sure you have no excuses and make it out to moab with us! it's coming up fast!

let me know man!

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got my Driveshafts back from the shop yesterday!

Cost me $320 total, but they did an excellent job - 3-day turn around, and they even replaced the pesky center support bearing on the rear D-shaft.

I think I'm gonna go back to them and have them make me a F & R trail spare after my conversion is done.

I've got my fingers crossed that my measurements were correct. Now all I'm waiting for is BUDBUILT for my crossmember! ...I'm trying to give him my money, and I can't get him to return my calls! :mad:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts