TTORA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Tacoma, 2.7l, 4cyl, 4x4, manual
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new here and at a bit of a loss as to what to do, hence my post.

I have a 98 Tacoma, 2.7l, 4cyl, 4x4, manual transmission, manual locking hubs.

My transfer case went out last week and I got it towed to a shop that was recommended by a friend... After some looking we found a transfer case that was listed as a match for my truck, picked it up and dropped off at the shop.

Yesterday I found out that, although the transfer cases appear identical, the splines on the (input?) shaft differ from mine...

I counted the number of teeth on my original one and counted 24, the hopeful replacement has 21 teeth and a slightly larger inner diameter.

I am now trying to figure out what my options are and if anybody here might have any helpful suggestions for a course of action. (I am not opposed to doing some work on my own if it can be achieved with limited time and basic wrenches/sockets.)

Please forgive my lack of knowledge and potential misuse of terms, I will gladly answer any questions to clarify if needed.

Attached are pictures of the 2 shafts in question and also the door tag from my taco.

Thank you in advance for any assistance, I truly appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,697 Posts
Correct, the V6 transfer has 21 spline output and the 4cyl has 24 spline. You could swap the input shaft if needed. Otherwise you'll need to locate a transfer case from a W59 transmission as opposed to one that mates to the R150 V6 transmission which is the donor case you have now.

·
Registered
98 Tacoma, 2.7l, 4cyl, 4x4, manual
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply!

Is swapping the input shaft a relatively straightforward process? I've tried looking for some guides or tutorials but have not had much luck. I'm not opposed to tearing apart the old one, I just want to have a rough idea what I'm in for.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,697 Posts
Thank you for the reply!

Is swapping the input shaft a relatively straightforward process? I've tried looking for some guides or tutorials but have not had much luck. I'm not opposed to tearing apart the old one, I just want to have a rough idea what I'm in for.
Not straightforward and requires disassembly of the transfer case and OEM parts to swap in. Your easier option is to find the correct transfer case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts