TTORA Forum banner

Transfer case skidplate idea?

2K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  WallyP226 
#1 ·
I giving some thought in construction of a better transferskid plate than what the stock one has to offer.

I have some ideas I am considering, but was wondering if anybody has made their own or bought one that they really liked or didn't like?

What I was thinking about doing was using some of the existing holes in the back of the transmission cross member with a healthy piece of angle iron, bolting a piece of 1/8 plate from the angle iron to the existing holes for the OEM skid on the transfercase.

My concern is that the existing bolt holes are tapped cast aluminum, so I am concerned with their reliablility a little. I believe if I put my skid up tight against the transfercase with a piece of hard rubber between the skid and the transfercase (like the OEM one) that the brackets won't have to be weight bearing, just hold the skid plate on in the back. In that case, the next then the consideration is, if the aluminum transfercase is healthy enough to be weight bearing? Anybody busted their transfercase with the stock skidplate from weight bearing on the transfercase?

There appears to be aftermarket produced of transfercases skids made with the consideration that the transfercase is strong enough to be weight bearing and some go all the way accross the fram that suggest it isn't.

Anybody with expertise or experience in this area?

See less See more
#2 ·
I've got a SkidRow Tcase skid. Ain't really tested er yet but she's pretty stout and I'm sure she'll hold up.

#4 ·
WallyP226 said:
What I was thinking about doing was using some of the existing holes in the back of the transmission cross member with a healthy piece of angle iron, bolting a piece of 1/8 plate from the angle iron to the existing holes for the OEM skid on the transfercase.

My concern is that the existing bolt holes are tapped cast aluminum, so I am concerned with their reliablility a little. I believe if I put my skid up tight against the transfercase with a piece of hard rubber between the skid and the transfercase (like the OEM one) that the brackets won't have to be weight bearing, just hold the skid plate on in the back. In that case, the next then the consideration is, if the aluminum transfercase is healthy enough to be weight bearing? Anybody busted their transfercase with the stock skidplate from weight bearing on the transfercase?
I would not rely upon the xfer case's ability to take a hit. Some 1/4 in plate should do, generallee's pic is a nice examle of taking a little time to come up with a fairly easy design and weld.

#6 ·
I have the Skid Row plate and it has been tested, works well...Rather easy install and definatly offers superior protection to the factory..Ooh yeah, it pretty cheap too..

#7 ·
WallyP226 said:
I giving some thought in construction of a better transferskid plate than what the stock one has to offer.

I have some ideas I am considering, but was wondering if anybody has made their own or bought one that they really liked or didn't like?

There appears to be aftermarket produced of transfercases skids made with the consideration that the transfercase is strong enough to be weight bearing and some go all the way accross the fram that suggest it isn't.

Anybody with expertise or experience in this area?
the stock skid won't take hard hits at all but it does offer at least some protection. I've seen them scraped up pretty bad with no ill effects to the tcase but that is because the drivetrain 'gives' quite a bit ;)

I wound up with this:
http://www.norcalttora.com/~chris/mods/skids/t-case skid/

I have had the truck hi-centered on the skid with nothing more than scratched paint. I did come down on it pretty hard on the Dusy trail last summer and the 1/4" plate actually bent a tad but not enough to pound back out.

there is a pic of another type in my pic batch that you will see from a CO member. I was going to make something like that (prototype) but switched to what I have now instead.

the Skid Row plate is great and easy to install. It offers much more protection than OE but will not take a really hard direct hit. We have beefed up two of these so far in Norcal using 1x1x1/4" bar stock welded into them for more strength...so far so good.

Demello's plate is pretty cool and offers tranny protection as well. He has thouroughly trail tested it.

Brian needed that monster he built...you ever see him drive? LOL

#8 ·
Mine was angleiron in the front bolted to the front crossmember and angleiron bolted to the bottom of the frame and 3/16 plate bent and welded to the angle. I beat the piss out of it and it held up well and really simple to build.

Pics of my T-case skid

#9 ·
STOMPER said:
Mine was angleiron in the front bolted to the front crossmember and angleiron bolted to the bottom of the frame and 3/16 plate bent and welded to the angle. I beat the piss out of it and it held up well and really simple to build.

Pics of my T-case skid
similar to mine..only a lot simpler, LOL

I would have bashed yours in on Dusy last summer w/o more gusseting ;)

#10 ·
Never!! :D I dont know if your getting the Extream Offroad Mag but first issue has a write up on the other club I ride when we went to GrayRock. Daniel (Tenntaco) and I where on our Skids all day long keeping up with the gang. In fact on page 25 down at the bottom you can barely see me. Im almost behind a bush.

#11 ·
STOMPER said:
Never!! :D I dont know if your getting the Extream Offroad Mag but first issue has a write up on the other club I ride when we went to GrayRock. Daniel (Tenntaco) and I where on our Skids all day long keeping up with the gang. In fact on page 25 down at the bottom you can barely see me. Im almost behind a bush.
I'll have to look for that one at Barnes and Nobel today ;)

#12 ·
I don't think that one will hit the stand. Call Marlin and get Chris or Mike to send ya one. This is going to be a great mag its got lots of Comp coverage in it and GOOD tech articles.

#14 ·
STOMPER said:
I don't think that one will hit the stand. Call Marlin and get Chris or Mike to send ya one. This is going to be a great mag its got lots of Comp coverage in it and GOOD tech articles.
yup, didn't have any. I'll call Chris tomorrow...on the way to the snow ;)

#15 ·
OK, you've been given plenty of ideas on skid-plates, here is a comment on your original idea. The drivetrain is connected to the frame by rubber mounts, and moves. For that reason, it may not be good to put a solid lump of steel connected to both frame and t-case, it will apply stress to the Al casing from just normal driving.

#16 ·
not2XS said:
OK, you've been given plenty of ideas on skid-plates, here is a comment on your original idea. The drivetrain is connected to the frame by rubber mounts, and moves. For that reason, it may not be good to put a solid lump of steel connected to both frame and t-case, it will apply stress to the Al casing from just normal driving.
right, but who suggested this type of skid?? whom are you replying to?

#18 ·
not2XS said:
So, are you the biggest post-whore on here right now? :)
LOL, so it would seem. I used to get beat out all the time when Opposite boy, Yunny and several others were racking up the posts but this new format has toned a lot of that down.

#19 ·
not2XS said:
Hey Mark, I would go one step further and recommend that people not make skids that attach only to the t-case. Todd made a nice burly skid that bolted to the t-case, caught it on a rock ledge backing up, and ripped large chunks out of the aluminum case where the skid was mounted.

Some beer cans and JB weld later, it was all good again. :D

Later,
....Mike

#22 ·
Thanks!

Some of you got me to thinking about things I had not considered.

I think I have a better understanding on fabricating this skidplate, either go one way or the other but don't combine both weight bearing and non weight bearing!!!!!!! After reading the informative discussion, I got under my truck, layed there and stared up and saw the light so to speak. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all those whom took the time to think about and post on this topic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.