TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i was changing Oil on my 04 Tacoma and I saw oil dripping from the guard on the transfer case. I looked closer and it looks like the oil is coming from the seal where the front drive line goes in to it there is not alot oil. Here are some pics that I took to show it better then I can explain. I check to see if the oil level was ok and it was. Could it have had too much oil and it purged it out? I had it I in 4 wheel drive a couple of hour yesterday but it was noting extreme. Any help would help ease my mind.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I want to hear the verdict on this one. I noticed the exact same thing yesterday when I was underneath my truck.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Front transfer case output seal. Its under $8 for a new one and its pretty easy to change:
Put truck in 4lo 4wd, in park w/ ebrake on
unbolt front DS from TCase flange
Use a steel punch and hammer to "un-punch" the output shaft nut, then remove nut and output flange.
Pull the old seal out using a hook or screwdriver but be very carefull not to carve up the soft aluminum around the seal.
A thin coat of RTV or oil help in getting the new seal in BUT: this seal has no "seat" to it so only push it in flush. If you push it too far it will go past and into the TCase. It will still be held up by the shaft but its a motha fucka to get out and the seal will be destroyed in the process.
Clean the hell out of the outside of the flange shaft and lightly lube it with some oil before re-installing it or the dirt will chew it right up again.
Re-tourque to factory spec (I forget) and be sure to re-knotch that nut skirt into the shaft!!.
Bolt up your DS and fill your Tcase back up.
Go wheel :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
sorry for the revival of an old thread.... but I didn't want to start a new thread.

\\\ "Use a steel punch and hammer to "un-punch" the output shaft nut, then remove nut and output flange."////

I'm not too sure how to do this... can someone elaborate?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Once you see the pinion nut with the little indent in it you should understand. All you have to do is push out the indent that keeps the nuts from coming loose and you can ratchet it off.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Once you see the pinion nut with the little indent in it you should understand. All you have to do is push out the indent that keeps the nuts from coming loose and you can ratchet it off.
LOL! All you have to do.... that's pretty funny right there!

Punch and a hammer, some luck and persistence!

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
I'm actually doing this tomorrow. Same situation. I looked at some pictures in my Haynes guide and saw there was another seal in the same area. So, I'm just going to replace both since I'm in there anyway. Just a thought for you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
yea, I'm just going to replace all seals in the area if i'm in there.. no sense doing one, then two months later doing the other...

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
does anyone know where to buy these seals... been searching on google to no avail......

Yup, the dealership is the only place. And, more than likely, they won't have it in stock so you'll have to wait a day or two. . . . . . or you could ask them to search for the nearest dealership who has it in stock. I just did this 2 weeks ago. FYI, that retaining bolt is a HUGE pita to get off. Just make sure when you take the "tap" out to use a flat punch. You'll understand what I'm talking about when you get to it. And you might need an extra pair of hands to break the seal. After that, it's smooth sailing. Just make sure not to push the seal in too deep . . . . . . just enough so it's flush with the outer edges. And, if you have a manual and have ADD, turn your 4WD on and put the truck into 1st gear. It'll help. Good luck,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts