TTORA Forum banner

Transmission and t-case shifters move when engine revs?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Mike-in-WV 
#1 ·
Good morning all as I was headed home from south Florida I noticed when I got off the highway that when I accelerate quickly or let off the clutch and hit the gas the Shifters move foward, It has not done this before and I wondered what gives. First thought was motor mounts.... second some else is loose ,,,,,, third whats for dinner. Soo obvioulsy if the t-case an tranny are moving this is not good. 95 pre taco 3.0 107k

#2 ·
xcmountain80 said:
Good morning all as I was headed home from south Florida I noticed when I got off the highway that when I accelerate quickly or let off the clutch and hit the gas the Shifters move foward, It has not done this before and I wondered what gives. First thought was motor mounts.... second some else is loose ,,,,,, third whats for dinner. Soo obvioulsy if the t-case an tranny are moving this is not good. 95 pre taco 3.0 107k
No big deal, i'm sure it's always done it and you never noticed. The shifters are connected to the tranny/transfercase, which is connected to .... the motor! Motor mounts and tranny mounts are rubber, hence they give under load, making the shifters move. Tranny mounts can get torn up, i've broken a couple, you just have to get under there and look.

#3 ·
xcmountain80 said:
What happens on your tacoma (that is if it's a manual) is normal the torque from the transmission causes the levers to move forward because they've gotta go one way or the other.

#6 ·
xcmountain80 said:
very normal.

#7 ·
atwinda said:
My tcase shifter has always moved a little but when my auto shifts gear under accerlation.
From all of this I'm left to assume that in the past it has just continually gotten worse, dont get me wrong it doesnt move a whole lot but I could just see in my mind maybe something was loose,,, uhhh anyway thanks guys.

Aaron

#8 ·
you can check your motor mounts by opening the hood and watch the engine while someone else revs it. If it moves to an exessive amount, then you will know. Some movement is normal. Although, your truck being a 95, it could in possible they are worn after years of that normal movement.

#9 · (Edited)
Don't check motor mounts while in neutral

A better way is to put the e-brake on, stick it into first gear and try and go while someone is observing the engine at the mounts. That will cause the mounts to torque under a minor load if they are broke.

#10 ·
As for the t-case and tranny shifters moving

XCMOuntain80, does a clunk accompany your shifter movement? Does this happen moreso when you are accelerating in a straight line immediately after coming out of a slow hard lock turn?

Mine has started doing this in the last 20K miles. This is not normal shifter movement, and it's driving me nuts. My local 4WD shop has experienced this in other trucks. They just greased the crap out of my rear drive because they said some of the splines were bad. I didn't really buy that, and it didn't help.

All I know is 20K later, I have a leaking seal (maybe rear main, maybe clutch) and I'm wondering if that clunk under load has pulled a seal loose...

#11 ·
toyguy said:
XCMOuntain80, does a clunk accompany your shifter movement? Does this happen moreso when you are accelerating in a straight line immediately after coming out of a slow hard lock turn?

Mine has started doing this in the last 20K miles. This is not normal shifter movement, and it's driving me nuts. My local 4WD shop has experienced this in other trucks. They just greased the crap out of my rear drive because they said some of the splines were bad. I didn't really buy that, and it didn't help.

All I know is 20K later, I have a leaking seal (maybe rear main, maybe clutch) and I'm wondering if that clunk under load has pulled a seal loose...
Funny you should ask god that noise is annoying ,,,like im waiting for the ass end to fall out. Mostly on a straight shot but if I shift easy I can keep it from doing that. Not sure what it is either but it is annoying it started doing it about 2k ago . I currently have 104k on the engine and leaking a bit of oil from somewhere I cannot verify a location. hmmm headgasket? maybe

Aaron

#12 ·
My 01 was doing it and when I got the oil changed the guy doing it noticed that the large nut/bolt that had the Tranny connected to the cross beam was really loose. He tightened it and now it does it a little but nothing like it did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.