TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how often do you guys change your tranny filter? I think , if i aint mistaken , that our Tacomas auto trannys have just a screen type thing and do not require replacement . Am i right? Still how often do you change the filter and fluid? I have a 2003 with 37,000 and have did the drain and refill about 3 times now (about once every 10,000 miles.)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
but how of often...?

·
Registered
892 Posts
What's the manual recommend in service (mileage)? I'm personally not sure...too lazy to go look.

Personally - I'd pay the extra money and have the dealer flush/fill it - especially if there's internal filters in there.

Why did you drain & fill it 3 times already? Are you having problems with it?

It should go a lot longer than that (10k?) without a fluid change. IF you're having problems that is making you change the fluid that often - then I'd definately get a flush done and get a new filter.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's the manual recommend in service (mileage)? I'm personally not sure...too lazy to go look.

Personally - I'd pay the extra money and have the dealer flush/fill it - especially if there's internal filters in there.

Why did you drain & fill it 3 times already? Are you having problems with it?

It should go a lot longer than that (10k?) without a fluid change. IF you're having problems that is making you change the fluid that often - then I'd definately get a flush done and get a new filter.
no , no problems here , i am just changing it very often to ensure it lasts , as my wife and i are trying to make our current vehicles last as long as they can while we pay of debt . I dont want to have another car/truck payment anymore nor do i want to replace anything prematurely if i can help it . I haul a 5x10 untility trailer sometimnes with decent to moderate amount of weight in it , and want to baby my tranny as much as i can .

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
Over 70K on mine and have never yet dropped the pan even when i did my own flush. To make filter changes easy i installed a remote filter kit from permacool that uses a moble one 204 oil filter with a filter magnet from filtermag.com. Its hooked up between the stock cooler and TRD cooler.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
You're supposed to change the tranny fluid every 30K I think.
so do both diff fluid and tranny fluid/flush every 30K?

·
Registered
14 Posts
i just droped my pan on my 03 pre runner, with 30,000 easy driven miles with toyotas so called high mileage t4 fluid , and wasnt to happy with all the sluge in the botom of the pan. allso my fluid still looked new so to all drop the pan and clean thoes magnets and get the sluge out

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i just droped my pan on my 03 pre runner, with 30,000 easy driven miles with toyotas so called high mileage t4 fluid , and wasnt to happy with all the sluge in the botom of the pan. allso my fluid still looked new so to all drop the pan and clean thoes magnets and get the sluge out
Thanks , i think i will drop it soon . How many magnets are there? Also, what ft.lbs. did you tighten your pan bolts to? I know that our aluminum trannys are very soft and easily can be stripped of its bolt threads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts