TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody I had my transmission or something go out so I'm selling my bumpers and sliders they are in the for sale section. I'm willing to trade a bumper or something for some expertise and help fixing it. Here is the link to my diagnosis thread feel free to chime in!
Thanks, Austin!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hey bud, I have an idea of what is wrong. I had a similar problem, and you will never guess what was wrong! I will pm you my number. Give me a call.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Does it go threw gears ok when off/not driving?

Could be cheap mc and/or slave?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I'd stab a guess at the clutch pedal bracket is broken and flexing. This would not allow for correct slave operation.

Another odd one I have encountered was the thrust bearings spit out of the crank journal area. This could be found by watching the belts, do they deflect when pushing in on the clutch.

I've also seen a piviot ball break, check to see if the clutch fork has any play when the slave is off.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you ARGHHH!

Hey bud, I have an idea of what is wrong. I had a similar problem, and you will never guess what was wrong! I will pm you my number. Give me a call.
I'll give you call in two minutes!

Does it go threw gears ok when off/not driving?

Could be cheap mc and/or slave?
It goes through the gears fine when the engine is off

I'd stab a guess at the clutch pedal bracket is broken and flexing. This would not allow for correct slave operation.

Another odd one I have encountered was the thrust bearings spit out of the crank journal area. This could be found by watching the belts, do they deflect when pushing in on the clutch.

I've also seen a piviot ball break, check to see if the clutch fork has any play when the slave is off.
I took a look at the bracket holding the clutch pedal cause that's what i immediately thought. i remembered reading a thread about it rusting through and cracking. While it is rusted the bracket seems solid and doesn't move or flex when I pussh the clutch.

I will check the belts while I have somebody push the clutch as soon as I get home. Just rode my bike 12 miles to 2 sprint stores to get my phone replaced. They couldn't fix it and are sending one to my house.... it will prob be there before me hahaha!

I will check for play in the clutch fork. I honestly think it might have something to do with the fork because when I was installing the new slave last night I was pretty sure i could wiggle the fork quite a bit but I will let you know when I check it again.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also over the last 6-8 months it feels like I've been having to push the clutch pedal further and further into the floor to be able to shift smoothly or get it to engage/disengae.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Exactly what happened to me. I talked to him on the phone and told him what to do. He just looked for cracks in the bracket but didn't push on it with his hand and watch the bracket. Mine broke at the spot welds then cracked down, but had no cracks you could see. Until you pushed on the pedal and watched it, you would not know if thats the problem. He is having the exact same problems mine had when it happened to me.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exactly what happened to me. I talked to him on the phone and told him what to do. He just looked for cracks in the bracket but didn't push on it with his hand and watch the bracket. Mine broke at the spot welds then cracked down, but had no cracks you could see. Until you pushed on the pedal and watched it, you would not know if thats the problem. He is having the exact same problems mine had when it happened to me.
Update: So I checked the bracket it is completely fine:mad: no cracks in the pinch welds. I was hoping that was it dammit! Thank you for the help though Dan!

@thefatkid:
I checked the clutch fork coming out of the transmission and i can move it around quite a bit. Also I just noticed if I push the clutch down, upon releasing back up there are two tings coming from right inside the clutch fork. The best way I can describe it is a spring realeasing its tension against other metal. Identical sound to trying to put drum springs on and missing the whole and having it ting! Hope that helps!

So we can cross out the clutch pedal bracket and probably the hydraulic system. Does anyone have schematic on how the clutch fork operates with the other parts in there.

Thanks, Austin

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay Ive been doing some research and I believe it is the pivot ball that thefatkid mentioned, I read some weird stories about the pivot ball breaking and cause the same symptoms I am having and have been having the past 6 months, along with the retaining spring noise I have been hearing. So I believe the pivot ball has broken and cracked/shattered. although Im too tired to go out and look behind that boot right now. Does anyone know the process on how to get to it or do the job?
Thanks, Austin

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pull the tranny out, put new pivot ball in. Reassemble and drive. Don't forget to use lube!
Haha that sounds pretty simple but Ive never removed the transmission. Can you give me a couple more detailed steps. Obviously remove all the mounting bolts and cross member, undo shift linkage anything elsse connected but once I get to that point and the transmission rolled away. What do I need to take apart to get to that pivot ball?
I just dont want to go into completely blind

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I would help but I am a ways away. Surely someone up there can help you. It is always easier with more than one person.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If you don't already have it, I'd look at the FSM for your rig: http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

They're great for general steps and exploded views of everything in case something falls apart you aren't expecting, but I will add that sometimes the steps given are about like what thefatkid said; so to those of us who aren't Master Techs it seems like important details are missing.

I've never done this either so I can't be of more technical help, but I will be around this weekend, so if you just need an extra set of hands, give me a ring, I'll PM you my number.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would help but I am a ways away. Surely someone up there can help you. It is always easier with more than one person.
Thanks Dan I appreciate the offer! I am actually in Littleton I need to update my location!

If you don't already have it, I'd look at the FSM for your rig: http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

They're great for general steps and exploded views of everything in case something falls apart you aren't expecting, but I will add that sometimes the steps given are about like what thefatkid said; so to those of us who aren't Master Techs it seems like important details are missing.

I've never done this either so I can't be of more technical help, but I will be around this weekend, so if you just need an extra set of hands, give me a ring, I'll PM you my number.
I was actually just looking at that and found the exact diagram i need. It really doesnt look like there is too much to take apart once its slid away from the engine. Thanks Mike I appreciate it I might take you up on that although I'm down in littleton not fort collins. I would be more than happy to cover your gas expenses as well as provide beverage ;). And That applies to anyone!

·
7,735 Posts
It really is as easy as it sounds. I have a transmission jack up in loveland you can borrow, but I'm out of town this weekend.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
One thing I thought I would add, replace your clutch and rear main seal if you dont know when it was last done

1 - 20 of 31 Posts