TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With just over 100,000 miles on my truck I started to get the "ususal" notchy shifting from 1st to 2nd and thought I'd try changing the fluid to see if it made a difference. Well, I think I made a mistake going with a synthetic fluid. I used Mobil 1 and have noticed that the truck is now seeping fluid from the section between the transmission and where it joins the extension to the transfer case around what appears to be sealed with FIPG. Is this a common issue with changing between dino and synthetic? Was this something I should have known better than to have done had I done my research? Given the higher mileage? And last, any idea on what it will run me to have it fixed? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Not sure if it led to the leak, but that Mobil 1 gear oil can make the shifting worse; apparantly "too slick" (not kidding). The gold standard oil for the manuals seem to be Redline MT-90.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Trans leaky leaky

If the leak is between the transmission and the transfer, there is not any fipg in between them from the facory, but both the output of the trans, and the transfercase input have seals. That being said, toyota also has a TSB for rear differential seals leaking from synthetic gear oil in trucks not factory equipped with synthetic rear diff gear oil, so I would assume the transmission seals are not compatable with all synthetic gear oils. I would change back to regular oil, make sure not to overfill it, and see what happens.

·
Administrator
18,217 Posts
Its possible your transmission was leaking before you switched to the synthetic oil. I've seen many transmissions with bad output seals. The standard gear oil probably didn't leak all that much, but the switch to synthetic made it leak more.

I usually recommend the Redline MT-90 oil rather then other synthetic oils. It works better in our transmissions then others, especially with notchy shifting.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, it definitely was not leaking before I switched as I had checked it 2 days prior. This was to make sure it was at the proper level thinking that maybe it was low and that was causing the notchy shifting problem. And it is definitely through a FIPG seal at the rear of the Trans as it joins the extender. What's the chances of it actually not leaking by switching back??? Very little I would guess given the seal has already been compromised...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
ShowStop
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing