TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:confused: I have a 2002 Double cab TRD Automatic and since i have bought it it seems lurch forward and pop in/out as i complete my stop. It feels like its in the transmission because the brakes feel rock solid. When i take it out of gear before the stop it doesnt seem to do it. It kinda feels like the transmission is poping and or slipping out of gear or something. Anyone know what this is or causes it???

Dealer "claims" they couldnt get it to do it. I took it in twice and had to leave it to have them tell me they coulnt get it to reproduce it. I raised a fit but it didnt help much. I did get them to document it on my paperwork that it had some sorta problem before it ran out of warranty.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
stoopstroop said:
:confused: I have a 2002 Double cab TRD Automatic and since i have bought it it seems lurch forward and pop in/out as i complete my stop. It feels like its in the transmission because the brakes feel rock solid. When i take it out of gear before the stop it doesnt seem to do it. It kinda feels like the transmission is poping and or slipping out of gear or something. Anyone know what this is or causes it???

Dealer "claims" they couldnt get it to do it. I took it in twice and had to leave it to have them tell me they coulnt get it to reproduce it. I raised a fit but it didnt help much. I did get them to document it on my paperwork that it had some sorta problem before it ran out of warranty.
If it feels like a thud or someone has taped your bumper thats called axel wrap. Im assuming you have the trd package, well if you do the springs are alittle soft so i doesnt support the rearend as strong as it should. In order to eliminate it you have to put stiffer springs or add a track bar. Mine does it too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes its a TRD. Stiffer springs?? In the rear or both front and back axles? Track bar?? Does toyota acknowledge this problem? How much and how hard is this to fix? Is it gonna hrt anything if i leave it as is? Do all tacomas have this problem?

Sorry for the newbie questions its my first taco and my old Z71 didnt have this goofy sorta problems.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
stoopstroop said:
Yes its a TRD. Stiffer springs?? In the rear or both front and back axles? Track bar?? Does toyota acknowledge this problem? How much and how hard is this to fix? Is it gonna hrt anything if i leave it as is? Do all tacomas have this problem?

Sorry for the newbie questions its my first taco and my old Z71 didnt have this goofy sorta problems.
Since the trd package is designed for offroad use it doesnt make sence to have much stiffer springs because that would limit your articulation so by adding softer springs you gain articulation. Guys who have the huge lifts and use their rig for offroading will have the same thing so by adding a track bar that keeps the rearend for moving back and forth and thats that thud you feel. Deaver makes a stiffer spring but at the same time it gives you the benefit of a softer spring. As far as i know all trd package trucks have this problem and i dont think toyota can do anything about it.

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
Mine does exactly the same thing. The primary cause appears to be the axel wrap as stated above, but the driveshafts is either not lubed right or not enough at the factory. I went under there to check all the zerk and the driveshafts were really dry. After lubing it didn't fix the "clunck" completely, but it did make it a lot less. Check out this thread for more info:
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2594&highlight=axel+wrap

·
Registered
390 Posts
My 95 xtracab atm does it too. I had to shim my center bearing as a result of the 3 inch lift. It seemed to be worse after I lifted it. So, I greased all the fittings thoroughly and that seemed to help a lot. Be careful not to put to much grease in the slip yoke.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I thought it was something in the rear end at first. Also my atm and 4wd shifter move independently of each other. I thought that was kind of weird at first. Oh well...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Yes, it's axle wrap. All Tacoma rear springs are the same, there isnt a different rear spring rate for TRD trucks. Front coils are different (TRD are progressive).
A fix for the problem would either be a ladder bar/traction bar, a few companys have made some that wont inhibit ground clearance or articulation much. Or an AAL will stiffen it up so it's not as noticeable.
Lifting with blocks will make the problem more noticeable.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
My '99 non-TRD did it a lot, but my '04 DC TRD doesn't do it at all, I guess I'm lucky.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Update!!

I went and lubed the hell out of her Clicky according to this and the poping seems to be gone for now!! I dove it about 5 miles and nuthin as of now. I need to do some errands so Ill know more later. Hopefully a lotta greasing was all she needed..........crossing fingers!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts