TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 4WD doublecab with about 29,000 miles, with a SnoWay snow plow mounted on it.

This morning when I pulled out of the (unheated) garage and turned around to go back up the driveway to pull back into the garage to take the plow off, the truck would barely move forward in drive or "2". It went fine in reverse or low. After I took the plow off, the truck drove fine. The plow weighs about 350#.

The transmission fluid looks good, and does not seem low. It did get cold here last night, (mid to low-teens), but I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. I've got 200# of sand and a bed-mounted toolbox in the back.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
64S15 said:
I have a 2001 4WD doublecab with about 29,000 miles, with a SnoWay snow plow mounted on it.

This morning when I pulled out of the (unheated) garage and turned around to go back up the driveway to pull back into the garage to take the plow off, the truck would barely move forward in drive or "2". It went fine in reverse or low. After I took the plow off, the truck drove fine. The plow weighs about 350#.

The transmission fluid looks good, and does not seem low. It did get cold here last night, (mid to low-teens), but I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. I've got 200# of sand and a bed-mounted toolbox in the back.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be?
did you let it warm up first

·
Registered
552 Posts
I don't think I would be to concerned about it. Let that truck warm up on cold mornings. Everyone who has a Tacoma thinks they don't have to let them warm up because the book says 10 seconds but that's not what it really say's if you read it. The book say's to let it warm up on "cold" mornings.
On my 01 Taco 4x4 the trans will not run right without a warm up on cold mornings and it's the same on many vehicals. My truck is outside all the time here in WV and it gets real cold at night this time of year.
Never had it so cold that it wouldn't move like you had but maybe you need to drive yours more. Also all that sand and plow is allot of weight on that cold tranny.

·
Registered
203 Posts
64S15 said:
No, ran it cold... but I never warmed it up before...
It just needs to warm up. I have the same taco with the same problem on very cold days (teens and below) if not allowed to warm up (1 block). Nothing to be concerned about if fluid level is fine, somewhat red, and doesn't smell burnt.

·
Registered
472 Posts
just as a maintenance issue, have you ever flushed it out? Might want to do that since your in extreme temperatures regularly just to keep it running smoothly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
J-Man
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing