TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the day the truck came home, unless you physically held the shifter in 1st & 3rd gear it will pop out. I was under the impression that was a symptom of bad syncros. But the kid was told it could be a bad clutch slave or shifter bushing.

Flash forward to current time. Friday, driving home, the truck as usual would pop out of its "favorite" gears but instead of being able to hold it in place in 3rd gear, it started jumping out even while holding the shifter. Not just "slipping out" or "popping out" it is forcibly jumping out. When trying exert my will and adding pressure to it to stay in 3rd it grinds.

I'm pretty sure 3rd gear is gone, but is it the gear or the syncro?

I forgot to mention, I did replace the clutch slave and bled it to no positive effect.

I'm guessing the transmission is toast, or does anyone think its salvageable? And if its gone what kind of expense are we looking at? I've always been good on trannys and never had to even work on any much less replace one

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it's a hike to here but I know a local guy that is selling a 5spd transmission.
Is it trans for a Tacoma or 22r? The issue is with cubby's truck. I should have made that clear prior, but obviously didn't

·
7,735 Posts
It could be a bolt holding the shift fork on the shift rail backed out. That happened on my last r151.

I couldn't get the damn thing into 1st gear, it would grind and pop out like you're saying. There was enough play that the shift fork wouldn't slide straight and so it wouldn't fully engage the collar over the clutch hub/synco/gear.

It's not terribly difficult to take the housing apart and see what's going on in there.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeremy, if you don't mind checking the detas for us I would appreciate it

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It could be a bolt holding the shift fork on the shift rail backed out. That happened on my last r151.

I couldn't get the damn thing into 1st gear, it would grind and pop out like you're saying. There was enough play that the shift fork wouldn't slide straight and so it wouldn't fully engage the collar over the clutch hub/synco/gear.

It's not terribly difficult to take the housing apart and see what's going on in there.
Well that's the most encouraging info we have gotten, now I just need to calm the kid down enough to keep him from blowing the thing up instead of taking the tranny out. Lol

I am certainly in debt to you for giving us hope!

·
7,735 Posts
I think most look at a tranny and if it doesn't shift like it should, then it's bad and has to be replaced. I was in that club until I finally bit the bullet and dove into a tranny rebuild. Like most things, after you read thru the fsm and start unbolting things, it turns out to be pretty easy and many things can be fixed without having to tear down the gears, input/output shafts.

You only need to go thru the first few steps of the FSM to have the cases off and be able to see the shafts with all the gears, syncro's, shift sleeves, etc

Once you have it torn down to this point:

**Note: The above picture is missing the input shaft/bearing assembly.

You can figure out the shift linkage then manually move the shift rails thru their sequences. Watching the different parts move will enlighten you quite a bit. It looks very complicated and intimidating, but after you play with it a little, you'll see it's actually pretty simple.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once your tear the transmission down to the level you illustrated in your photos, are there any special tools required to go further?

I have all the wrenches and ratchets, I also have spring clip pliers. But no calipers or mics so to speak of.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I decided to replace the clutch slave & basically work on the kids truck yesterday on my own while he made a day trip with his little sister.

I broke all the bad news to him this morning & I'm not sure if he is still in shock or just so pissed off that he isn't speaking to anyone. :/

Anyway, I don't think the truck or transmission will be getting any attention today.

·
7,735 Posts
Once your tear the transmission down to the level you illustrated in your photos, are there any special tools required to go further?

I have all the wrenches and ratchets, I also have spring clip pliers. But no calipers or mics so to speak of.
You don't want to go past that point unless you plan on a full rebuild. You'll need a press, feeler gauges, and a dial indicator. When you do a rebuild, you'll want Marlin's kit, but there is the issue of different thickness snap rings. The crispness of these transmission is controlled by different snap ring thickness.

There are snap rings in a few spots, the procedure is to put together one part (ie clutch hub, syncro, gear on to the output shaft) then measure thrust clearance. If it's not to spec, then you have to figure out how thick of a snap ring you need, order it, install it, check again. Then move on to the next. You can't really build the whole thing and then figure out all of the snap rings you'll need.

Toyota sells a full set of snap rings, but it's expensive, and you'll only need one from each set for a given gear so that adds up to wasting a bunch of $$. You can choose "spend more time" or "spend more $$". We're talking about weeks of downtime for the rebuild.

When I rebuilt my current r151, I lucked out and was within the spec's with the snap rings that I had... I simply replaced the syncro's, bearings and upgraded a few parts with Marlin stuff (1-2 shift fork, bearing retainer, thrust washer).

If I were you, I'd simply pull the cases, check to see if there's something wrong that's easy to fix (loose bolt holding shift forks for example). If there's something that requires breaking it down further, then consider getting another tranny. I think most 4cyl and v6 tranny's go for around 150-200 and you'll have at least that (probably more) in a rebuild.

In my case, r151's were becoming hard to find and fairly expensive so I chose to throw $$ at it so I basically had a new tranny. If I hadn't been so lucky, considering my time and the parts, Marlin's prices for a full rebuild become reasonable believe it or not.

NOTE: I'm no expert with this stuff. I researched and rebuilt my own transmission. I've done this only once. The above is based on my current knowledge and limited experience.

·
7,735 Posts
Here is a pretty good link I used while researching my rebuild. It should give you a decent overview. I don't imagine that there's much difference in the basics between the v6 and 4cyl trans, but you'll want to track down the FSM for your model if you dive into the rebuild so you have the correct steps, spec's, etc.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/r151f/

There's some pix n stuff in my build thread (post 238 - 240):
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111154

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
3 Participants
mrdoug
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing