TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out wheelin last night, one of the atf lines to the radiator came off so it went pretty low on fluid. Truck would run but when you put it into drive it would only rev up and would not catch and start moving. Put 3 quarts of atf fluid in will now catch but when starting from a stop takes a second to catch. Wondering if there is anything I can about it besides having to replace the tranny. The truck is a 99 ext cab 4x4 trd with the 3.4 liter engine in an automatic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Make sure it's full hot. In other words drive it around a while and then check it, It may still be low on fluid. Checking warm or cold will give you a false reading to some extent. If it's full and doesn't look brown or burnt then drive it around with slow take offs for a while and see if it improves. If it don't then it's probably shot . Had a Chev pull off a line on some brush years ago, filled tranny with 10w 30 oil and drove it 25 miles to the nearest station. Drained the tranny and added new fluid and never had a bit of trouble from that tranny :) There was some luck on my side back then, lol. Mike

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is it okay to be driving it around then that has been my biggest worry should i just change the atf fluid again and make sure i got the right amount. is there anything else i can do to check it. or can i fix the plates possibly.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Driving it around is not going to hurt it any more than it already is. Start it up and let it WARM UP GOOD before you drive it. When you take off do it very slowly the first few times. Drive it up a steep hill and see if it slips on you. If it doesn't straighten out for you and it continues to slip then it's probably shot. It usually cost more to rebuild one then it does to replace it unless you know someone who can do that for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts