TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's generally accepted as the safest way to transport extra fuel? Other than installing an auxiliary tank, of course. I'm going to need to carry somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-15 gallons of fuel beyond the 18 gal. capacity of my tank...so what are my options? I'm not going to be racing or flying off cliffs or climbing vertical walls or anything like that, just driving for a week to ten days between fillups on remote dirt roads for wildlife research jobs, exploring, etc.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Gas cans are fine. Just strap them in, and keep the vents open, but close them around lots of water/ mud. Try to keep them away from clothes/ food. Gas tastes like shit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen that some tanks and fuel cells have foam baffling in them to keep gas from sloshing/exploding. Can you get gas cans with that stuff?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
If you go to kartek, or aero tanks in Corona, you can get the baffle foam . You will not believe how un-cheap it is for a regular old gas can. Just run with the can full, so there isn't much room for sloshing. Just like a half full bottle of water. Shake it, and it rattles arond bad, full, no problem. Only diesel has no danger from not exploding. You should be o.k. Just fill the tank on the ground, to avoid a static electric condition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts