TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My truck is a 99 4cyl 4x4. The emergency brake crosses over the top of the leafs on the current axle. On the TRD they cross under the leafs. Does anyone have pics of their 01+ TRD rear ends I can look at. Will I need to change out my e brake cables? I need some suggestions or fixes please. Also it came without covers for the ABS. Will I need to get sensors and just stick them in there to cover the hole or does anyone know of caps. THANKS

·
Split it open-Eat it out!
659 Posts
it looks like your shafts are installed 90 degrees out. There are four bolts that hold the axle shaft to the axle. unbolt those and rotate your shafts so that the e-brake is on the top. This should fix that problem

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
it looks like your shafts are installed 90 degrees out. There are four bolts that hold the axle shaft to the axle. unbolt those and rotate your shafts so that the e-brake is on the top. This should fix that problem
X2, here's what mine looks like:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Nope. That would put his brake lines and bleeder 90 degrees forward.

I've seen at least one other truck I noticed with the e-brake down like that.
Either there is enough slack in the cable to move it to the TRD pivot or there isn't. If there isn't then you'll have to make up some sort of linkage or get a whole assembly from the lever under the cab back.
Don't know about the ABS- but it shouldn't be too much trouble to just make the e-brake work with a little extra cable and some clamps of some kind or a fabbed up bracket, etc.

·
Registered
597 Posts
'98 TRD here, mine runs along the top of the axle above the leafs. Just like Interex's pics.

·
Hoist The Colors!
15,832 Posts

Nope, the shafts are installed correctly. Apparently the e-brake lever is located in a different position because of the ABS sensor.

He could clock the axle shafts 90 degress, but that will also rotate where the hard brake line ties in, which is in the correct location currently.

3 possible fixes: (1) clock the axle shafts and reroute the hard brake lines, (2) get the correct parking brake rear cable assembly, or (3) reroute the old cable with some custom brackets.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
When I put an 03 TRD axle in my truck, I ran into the same issue. I ordered a new one from TRDParts4u for around $50.

~Miguel

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope, the shafts are installed correctly. Apparently the e-brake lever is located in a different position because of the ABS sensor.

He could clock the axle shafts 90 degress, but that will also rotate where the hard brake line ties in, which is in the correct location currently.

3 possible fixes: (1) clock the axle shafts and reroute the hard brake lines, (2) get the correct parking brake rear cable assembly, or (3) reroute the old cable with some custom brackets.

Thanks
Clocked the shafts, the e brake lines are a little tighter than when on the previous axle, but they are not pulling the brake. Stretched and rebent the existing hard brake lines under the leafs and over the axle tubes. There was no place to bolt the brake union where the line comes off the frame and splits to each drum, so i will try to find a braided stainless steel line to replace. I will post pics as soon as I get a chance, also I got some 1/8 steel and cut out to cap the ABS sensor holes and used RTV to gasket, no leaks.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
What's your solution for the wiring harness?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
So now your brake lines are running level with the axle? Sounds like a good way to get them beat to shit.

Clocked the shafts, the e brake lines are a little tighter than when on the previous axle, but they are not pulling the brake. Stretched and rebent the existing hard brake lines under the leafs and over the axle tubes. There was no place to bolt the brake union where the line comes off the frame and splits to each drum, so i will try to find a braided stainless steel line to replace. I will post pics as soon as I get a chance, also I got some 1/8 steel and cut out to cap the ABS sensor holes and used RTV to gasket, no leaks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So now your brake lines are running level with the axle? Sounds like a good way to get them beat to shit.
Well it was either pulverize the e brake and rip it out on rocks or brush from sitting 4in on the back bottom of the axle, but I think the new location of brake lines it will still be protected. When I post the picks I can get more accurate opinions since you will be looking at the actual situation rather than visualizing my lame description. Thanks:kewl:

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Post up the part number for the harness when you get a chance

·
Registered
131 Posts
The backing plate is what your brakes and axle bearings attach to.The right way to fix your e-brake orientation would be to swap the backing plates from your non TRD rear.Then your brakes would sit like they did originally.Clocking the brakes is not the right way to do it.You could use your non TRD axle assyemblies if you get the right seal(50x70mm)that will sit flush in the axle tube.That way the seal will ride in the non TRD axle seal position.And yes,I have non TRD non ABS axles in my TRD housing.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
As you have discovered. in '01, The location of the E-brake changed from ontop of the leaves, to behind the axle housing.

Don't waster your time swapping the backing plates from your old shafts. What you need is the rear half of the E-brake cable. There have been quite a few guys here that have done that swap. Please don't rotate the axle backing plate either... This will put your wheel cylinder in the wrong location and possibly lead to brake failure. Spend the money on the right parts, it'll be easier in the long run, and work better. Plus it's not that expensive. You can get the covers for the ABS housing, They're probably pretty cheap, Much cheaper than the sensors.. Alot of trucks came from the factory with these covers.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Besides the fact you'd have to fool with the wheel bearing with a backing plate swap..

1 - 20 of 43 Posts