TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm thinking of getting a TRD s/c and the 7th injector kit (i know about urd and that it is better than the 7th setup, but i want to keep my warranty intact for now) i just want reliable power with long engine life, what is best for now?

1. s/c with headers and exhaust
2. s/c with 7th

should i opt for the larger pulley than stock also to prolong engine life?
all help is greatly appreciated.

oh, and i'm going to get a stock air box and x the deckplate for now...

·
Registered
49 Posts
the s/c and 7th will prob get you more power. But many will say you need to change your exhaust to make it breath easier. I don't think getting a larger pulley will help much with prolonging the engine life, but you'll get less boost. If you do get the 7th, you should get the URD AIC to control it. The 7th and AIC are very easy to install.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Troymm said:
the s/c and 7th will prob get you more power. But many will say you need to change your exhaust to make it breath easier. I don't think getting a larger pulley will help much with prolonging the engine life, but you'll get less boost. If you do get the 7th, you should get the URD AIC to control it. The 7th and AIC are very easy to install.
i would like to change the exhaust out eventually, once money permits, but for now i think all i can afford(not really, but what i want to get in debt in) is the s/c and the 7th, does anyone know about the ramifications of not using headers/exhaust with this setup in terms of short engin life??? troymm, how is the pinging issue? did those mods help that out?

·
Registered
117 Posts
One thing the larger pulley will do is that it could possibly cure the ping if you happen to get any, and in that case it will indeed prolong engine life. I would go with the 7th injector and Im not sure but I think you could get URD's injector controller. Some of the highest dyno numbers I have seen have come out of this setup (with a few other goodies but its on the right track)

·
609 Posts
themariachi said:
i would like to change the exhaust out eventually, once money permits, but for now i think all i can afford(not really, but what i want to get in debt in) is the s/c and the 7th, does anyone know about the ramifications of not using headers/exhaust with this setup in terms of short engin life??? troymm, how is the pinging issue? did those mods help that out?
Don't worry about the exhaust. Get the SC'er running right or you won't have an engine to put the exhaust on. Talk to Dave (TRDOLMAN) and he can tell you how much of a difference it all makes when properly tuned. Think of the exhaust as a performance upgrade while the URD AIC as a requirement. You can then do the smaller pulley as well.

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
themariachi said:
I second wisctaco04 advice. If you go with the SC/7th the AIC is a must. I have heard of the 7th injector causing harm to your cats(a sign of running rich) The AIC will help you tune it properly. The headers and exhaust are nice, but not needed to run right(for engine life). Dave TRDOLDMAN is the most familiar with your set up as mentioned before. PM him. Nice guy and willing to help out as much as he can.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys! i really appreciate all your comments, now i just need to take the plunge.
so i'm going to get s/c, 7th, and urd aic...debt here i come!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'll sell you a TRD Supercharger with 7th injector kit(Both used for less than 3k miles) and a brand new URD AIC for $2500 plus shipping.
I purchased the Charger and the 7th from a member who won it in a give away...I purchased it at a great price thus I am gonna pass the savings on to you.
The truck will be sold to my father and he asked me to take the stuff off.
A supercharged Tacoma on 33" tires is not the ideal daily driver thus, I am gonna give it up.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that sounds like a great deal, but i think i want to go with a brand new s/c and 7th for sake of the warranty, but i will take you up on the AIC, if you are interested in just selling that...name your price and i'll get back to you, thanks for the great deal though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mariachi, I dont have any pinging issues with my 7th and AIC set up. Its been running really smooth since I started playing with the fuel maps. I still have a 190 pump that I'm going to install soon. I think you'll like the set up.

I went with this set up because I have an extended warranty also. The AIC is installed by tapping into 3 of the ignition wires and the boost gauge. I had the s/c installed at the dealer and I installed the 7th which took a couple of hours and the AIC which took only 15 minutes.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Troymm said:
Mariachi, I dont have any pinging issues with my 7th and AIC set up. Its been running really smooth since I started playing with the fuel maps. I still have a 190 pump that I'm going to install soon. I think you'll like the set up.

I went with this set up because I have an extended warranty also. The AIC is installed by tapping into 3 of the ignition wires and the boost gauge. I had the s/c installed at the dealer and I installed the 7th which took a couple of hours and the AIC which took only 15 minutes.
awesome, just what i wanted to hear. i can't wait 'till i get this setup, it'll be soon i hope...thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts