TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, its been a while since I have been on here, but the info here has never let me down. I have a 1st Gen TRD supercharger on my 99 3.4V6. I picked up a boost gauge for it because it feels like it suddenly lost a lot of the original power gain. I hooked up the gauge to the boost port on the supercharger and it wont register anything, even at 3500rpm. I am almost positive it is vacuum coming from this port. I checked all the other ports, and they seem to be getting vacuum also? Am I missing something here or could something be damaged?

Thanks!

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
The gauge needle should move to the left if it's seeing vacuum. If it's not moving at all, then it's not hooked up or your vacuum line may be pinched somewhere along the way.

Is you bypass valve opening and shuting?

I've never seen the grey blowers firsthand, but I've recently read a post saying that there is a junction at the rear of the unit that can leak air and that it can be resealed....if I find it, I'll edit this post.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Is your truck in neutral when you get it up to 3500 rpm? If so that is your problem you have to be driving to boost over the engine vacuum.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
#1 Make sure you the gauge connected at the right place. If it's before the SC all you'll ever get is a little vacuum and I do mean a little.

#2 The engine needs to be under a load before the by pass valve closes and allows it to develop any boost. It's not going to do that sitting in your drive way at any RPM because the vacuum doesn't drop enough for the by pass valve to close. If it does generate boost sitting still and in neutral, then you have a problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys. I was out at the dunes all weekend and didnt get to tear into the truck. The gauge is connected to the right port. I was thinking about changing the manifold gasket this weekend since I didn't replace it during the original install. Someone above mentioned that some of the 1st gens leaked air from the rear? I know the larger (maybe .5") brass fittings on the rear of my charger are very loose, is this normal, or should i seal them up also? I am doing this at idle, so you may be right that it shouldn't be seeing any boost, but as someone stated above, the needle is moving to the left (vacuum) when the engine winds up. Ill go back today and give it a test under load. (but it is only 2-3 PSI)

Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts