TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had any problems with their TRD coils sagging after running a spacer lift for a while?

I have heard that the TRD coil is a progressive coil and should NOT be combined with a spacer....can anyone chime in here?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The TRD coil sags faster than Non-TRD coils with or with out a spacer. A spacer agravates the problem.
With out a spacer mine were sagging bad enough at 38K that my factory 31's were rubbing.
I replaced them with Non-TRD and a 3" spacer, the ride was better. 10K later I put Rancho 1.5 lift and a 1" spacer, now it has a real good ride.

Tim

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
GodwinAustin said:
Has anybody had any problems with their TRD coils sagging after running a spacer lift for a while?

I have heard that the TRD coil is a progressive coil and should NOT be combined with a spacer....can anyone chime in here?
The upper section of the TRD coils is softer than the lower section, so it compresses a lot easier. Adding a spacer to those coils pushes the top few coils much closer, or even together, which obviously ain't ideal. I think that's probably where most of the sag comes into play, and why the TRD coils tend to ride even rougher than other spacer setups.

Keep in mind, though, ALL springs will sag with time and use. There's no way around that. How much and how quickly depends on a variety of variables such as the weight of the vehicle, how much offroading they see, etc.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Just thought I'd "chime" in to say you should have listened to the advice NOT to run a spacer with the TURD suspension. Enjoy your crappy ride.

·
Registered
12 Posts
calamaridog said:
Just thought I'd "chime" in to say you should have listened to the advice NOT to run a spacer with the TURD suspension. Enjoy your crappy ride.
Foock you! Foock you very much! :D

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
calamaridog said:

:eek: Not running one yet - Plus I dont care about the ride - I have a truck, I want a stiff ride.

Calamari I was more looking into getting the exact REASONS for not running a spacer lift on trd coils - other than the ride - :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
While on the coil subject, what is the deal with using tundra springs up front for more lift? Any other parts need to do the swap and how much lift?

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
SSSUPRA said:
Wow you should join supraforums, you would fit right in. And no the search function usually sucks ass, but thank you.
Considering it took all of 5 seconds to type in "tundra coils" and get the link I posted for you all about using tundra coils for lift, I'd say it works quite well.

You're welcome for the link.

·
Registered
598 Posts
GodwinAustin said:
:eek: Not running one yet - Plus I dont care about the ride - I have a truck, I want a stiff ride.

Calamari I was more looking into getting the exact REASONS for not running a spacer lift on trd coils - other than the ride - :D

Well since you don't care about the ride, then I suggest stacking about 20 hockey pucks inside the mounting points and bolting it all down.

Seriously, what other criteria is there besides ride quality when you are talking about suspension? There is a huge difference between stiff and firm.

As far as exact reasons go, several were listed above, and several more can be found using the basic search function.

But I suggest you go for it. Let us know how that turns out for you :rolleyes:

·
Registered
598 Posts
SSSUPRA said:
Wow you should join supraforums, you would fit right in. And no the search function usually sucks ass, but thank you.

:stfu:

I'll ramp your supra noob ;)

·
Registered
843 Posts
mine sag alot even before the lift, im thinking of putting some trim packers from wheelers in, i dont want to buy new coils just yet but if i do ill probably get the old man emu from wheelers

the ride is not bad, i cant tell a difference from stock

but a spacer is no d-h coilover which i couldnt afford

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
calamaridog said:
and several more can be found using the basic search function.

But I suggest you go for it. Let us know how that turns out for you :rolleyes:

try putting trd and spacer(s) in the search function and see what turns up

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
GodwinAustin said:
try putting trd and spacer(s) in the search function and see what turns up
Google... and better and/or more accurate search terms can sometimes be more helpful. For example: TRD, spacers, coils, progressive, Tacoma, etc.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
synovus said:
Google... and better and/or more accurate search terms can sometimes be more helpful. For example: TRD, spacers, coils, progressive, Tacoma, etc.
Thanks synovus... :p -I did search and got a general impression that progressive spring should not be run with spacers because of ride and sag - but there wasnt a dedicated thread for this as far as I could tell and I wanted to get more detailed accounts etc. -most were threads related to running a spacer lift in general etc. Anyways - didnt mean to be out of line :)

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
GodwinAustin said:
Thanks synovus... :p -I did search and got a general impression that progressive spring should not be run with spacers because of ride and sag - but there wasnt a dedicated thread for this as far as I could tell and I wanted to get more detailed accounts etc. -most were threads related to running a spacer lift in general etc. Anyways - didnt mean to be out of line :)
I wasn't implying you were out of line, just pointing out that there's more than one way to search. You're right, there's not a thread on this board dedicated to the issue of using TRD coils with spacers... until now. I'm fairly certain there was more info on the old board on Delphi, but I wasn't in the mood to search it on there. You're more than welcome to, though. :)

Hopefully the issue will be covered in the FAQ being developed for this board.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts